Not a Square Body issue but...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
2005 Grand Prix....Starting issues....

Ok, guys.....I have a couple questions and the problems may be related but also may not be ....

First off, when the Grand Prix is cold is always starts up fine without any issue. However, if I drive say 15 miles somewhere and go inside for a few minutes (1-45 minutes) and come back out and try to start it the thing usually takes about 3 to 5 attempts at starting it before it'll stay running. Then when it does run it'll run rough for a few miles before it "clears up". It doesn't happen every time but I'd say it's about 75% of the time now. Is it a fuel pump getting ready to go out? What baffles me about the issue is that it has never happened on a cold start. This issue has been going on for a little over a year (and about 30k miles) but the problem is now getting worse. I've tried several different things (air filter, spark plugs,...) and none of the cheap fixes have worked yet. The car has got almost 110,000 miles on it now.

Secondly, yesterday my wife got into the car to get my son from preschool. On the way to school (2 miles away or less) the low oil light came on (not sure why...never seen any oil puddles under the car). When she got back in she started the car (took her 5 times per issue explained above) the light did NOT come back on and did not come on this morning either when I drove it to work. Looking at the dip stick the oil level appears to be normal. Ideas??

If I can't find a fix for this on my own I'll drop it off at the shop but I always try to fix things with the cars on my own before forking over to cash so someone for something I can do myself.

Thanks for the help! :favorites13:

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
Has it started happening recently?
Bad gas maybe?

If not that id look into the ignition stuff
How long has it been since its had a tune up?

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Solution #1: Come buy my '06 GP. Seriously. I don't want it. No problems with it. I just don't want it.

Solution #2: I would suspect vapor lock.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
The first issue has been happening for over a year now (~30k miles) but has been gradually getting worse. I've recently put new spark plugs in it but nothing else major with regards to new ignition module or anything of that nature yet.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Solution #1: Come buy my '06 GP. Seriously. I don't want it. No problems with it. I just don't want it.

Solution #2: I would suspect vapor lock.

Solution #1: I'm sure my wife would just laugh in my face but would be a nice jaunt up to visit Connecticut :)

Solution #2: Something like vapor lock and throw a low oil code?

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Not sure about the oil code, but your first problem might be the crankshaft position sensor getting heat soaked. CPS failure is a common problem on the 3.8 engines.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I would consider a fuel filter also. Beleive it or not, I have seen the exact same problem, and fuel filter fixed it, not to mention its maintenance anyway, and shouldn't be expensive. The junk in the filter can settle to the bottom of the filter. When you first fire it up, the fuel get thru just fine. Then after a short run the junk in the filter has been churned up and pushed to the outlet by this time. Then go for a restart a few minutes later, the junk has not yet settled to the bottom of the filter again and it can't push enough fuel through to prime the injectors for a start up. The other thing that might help with the problem until you get it fixed, is cycle the key on and off a couple times before you actually crank the motor. This way if it is a filter problem, or weak pump, it gets a little more effort. Turn key to on, wait a second, you might even hear the buzz noise come on and go off. Then turn key off, wait a second, then go to on position again, wait a second, then crank it. You might even do it 2x and crank on the 3rd time. Try it anyway, and see if it makes a differance. If so, you are just about guarenteed its a weak fuel pump or dirty fuel filter.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
I would consider a fuel filter also. Beleive it or not, I have seen the exact same problem, and fuel filter fixed it, not to mention its maintenance anyway, and shouldn't be expensive. The junk in the filter can settle to the bottom of the filter. When you first fire it up, the fuel get thru just fine. Then after a short run the junk in the filter has been churned up and pushed to the outlet by this time. Then go for a restart a few minutes later, the junk has not yet settled to the bottom of the filter again and it can't push enough fuel through to prime the injectors for a start up. The other thing that might help with the problem until you get it fixed, is cycle the key on and off a couple times before you actually crank the motor. This way if it is a filter problem, or weak pump, it gets a little more effort. Turn key to on, wait a second, you might even hear the buzz noise come on and go off. Then turn key off, wait a second, then go to on position again, wait a second, then crank it. You might even do it 2x and crank on the 3rd time. Try it anyway, and see if it makes a differance. If so, you are just about guarenteed its a weak fuel pump or dirty fuel filter.

I thought about this first about a year ago but believe it or not these cars don't have fuel filters on them. It's all one big assembly with the sending unit inside the gas tank. :(

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Temp gauge and radiator fans work? If it seems to run very cool and the fans run all the time it might be the coolant temp sensor. From here...
http://www.grandprixforums.net/2005-grand-prix-temp-gauge-cooling-fan-issues-9041.html

Hello
I'm new to this forum. I've been searching the net for problems like this and may have an answer to your problem.
I own a 2007 Grand Prix and live in Winterpeg. I have had the same problem 2X now. If you plugged the block heater in and the temperature was warmer than -20 deg C when you started the car, a code has been set in your computer. This code disables your temp gauge and runs your fans all the time. It also runs the engine rich thinking the engine is cold. When you try to restart after the engine is warm it floods itself.

When the code is reset the engine and guage return to normal.

The problem is not just with the Grand Prix but includes other GM cars and trucks.
Today I was about the 12th person to have this fixed at my dealership.
My car is under warranty so the fix is free. This problem is known to GM and requires a fix(hopefully soon)
A dealer should be able to clear your code in a few minutes while you wait.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Yes, my temp gauge and fans work. To the best of my knowledge no codes have been thrown due to the starting issues.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I'll ask around. I'm very active in the w-body community and used to own gmwbody.com. I know a few guys big into the '04-08 GPs and maybe they have a solution.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
That sounds great man, thx!! I am by no means a GP 'enthusiast':) it's just a car to get me to get to work and for trips. Nothing special that is for sure:)

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Does your dash cluster squeak like two old people *******? Slow and awkward.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
630erik1