Newbie trying to park this thing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
I've turned my 76 around like austin powers did (although I was successful and didn't hit anything) in this storage lot that was a few feet wider than my truck was long
You must be registered for see images attach

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
The fun really begins maneuvering a 1950 4400 with manual steering, no brakes and busted mirrors around a farmyard

waywaymiller

Reaction score
First Name
wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Thank you to all will definitely start adapting new techniques. I do have some history with boat type vehicles. I had 93 Ford F150 extended cab and a few 93-96 Roadmaster wagons. I just think that steering design wasn't GM's strongest suit.

Has anyone done a rack and pinion conversion?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
One of our members inquired about the LMC kit some time ago and seemed interested, but I don’t think it ever panned out. Recirculating ball steering is, to me, pretty good if everything’s working properly. Steering sectors get sloppy and puke fluid out of the seals when they get a lot of miles on them, and steering parts live only so long, especially if they’re not hit with a little grease now and then. Ditching that GM rag joint sector shaft and going with the Jeep XJ unit (1984-96) is a nice little upgrade. I used to have a stash to sell, but I ran out.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I've turned my 76 around like austin powers did (although I was successful and didn't hit anything) in this storage lot that was a few feet wider than my truck was long

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
The fun really begins maneuvering a 1950 4400 with manual steering, no brakes and busted mirrors around a farmyard
Theyre both beautiful!

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Thank you to all will definitely start adapting new techniques. I do have some history with boat type vehicles. I had 93 Ford F150 extended cab and a few 93-96 Roadmaster wagons. I just think that steering design wasn't GM's strongest suit.

Has anyone done a rack and pinion conversion?

If your truck seems that much worse than the F150 you may want to do what others have suggested and take a thorough look at all of your steering components. I get that it's a truck and doesnt turn like a Volkswagen, and my experience is with 4WD which I would think would be worse than a 2WD, but something doesn't sound right there. Jack it up and get under it while somebody turns the steering and look for assymetry or something limiting travel.

You could also go out in an empty parking lot and measure the turning radius both right and left. I'll bet we can find or figure out what is the normal radius for one of these trucks.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
If your truck seems that much worse than the F150 you may want to do what others have suggested and take a thorough look at all of your steering components. I get that it's a truck and doesnt turn like a Volkswagen, and my experience is with 4WD which I would think would be worse than a 2WD, but something doesn't sound right there. Jack it up and get under it while somebody turns the steering and look for assymetry or something limiting travel.

You could also go out in an empty parking lot and measure the turning radius both right and left. I'll bet we can find or figure out what is the normal radius for one of these trucks.

If I am not mistaken, 4WD turns sharper than 2WD.

I always thought so, anyhoo using a 774wd Sub vs a 75 2wd long bed as my data points.

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
You're right. @RetroC10Sport posted the turning circles in a different thread.

attachment.php

I would go to an empty parking lot with some kind of markers and mark out the circle with the actual truck. If it measures like the spec then it's back to "Gimme 40 Acres."

splake

Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
b
Truck Model
c
Engine Size
d
Agree with everything. Also, alignment issues can happen when tie rods are replaced without measuring, or when the steering wheel is turned and the front end components are not connected. It can be difficult to align everything afterwards.

Cla2090

Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35 Sierra Camper Special
Engine Size
Okay, I have a 1975 dually with a long bed, and no trouble parking. Quite a tight turning radius for such a large truck also. I can make a U-turn from a turning lane, with just two lanes on the opposite side plus about one foot. But really, parking shouldn't be an issue unless there is a problem with your truck. If there is no mechanical issue, just get to know where you are while on the road by positioning your mirrors to see the lines/wheels for a while. Might make you more comfortable when parking. Also, don't try to smoothly turn into the space, try to choose points, more like a hexagon than a circle. Same with any exit ramp, or turn, pick multiple points and make straight lines to those points to avoid catching those rear wheels on a curb, or running over someones vehicle when parking.
My biggest problem parking, is the next car over forgetting they parked beside a dually, and taking off parts of my rear fenders.

ballencd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
1988/1991/1983/1984
Truck Model
V10 Suburban/V1500 Suburban/M35 bobbed w/dump/M1010
Engine Size
5.7/5.7/LDT 465-1c/6.2 diesel
I've got a question regarding turning radius. I've read that the steering radius can be shortened a little by changing the steering box from a 4wd box to a 2wd box and install crossover steering. Any truth to this fact I don't know but am interested in finding out. Anyone know this info?

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I've got a question regarding turning radius. I've read that the steering radius can be shortened a little by changing the steering box from a 4wd box to a 2wd box and install crossover steering. Any truth to this fact I don't know but am interested in finding out. Anyone know this info?
Interesting question, and I'm not sure but all the same, think not. Standard steering in a 4x4 looses almost all travel to turn left when the suspension gets twisted. This is the big advantage with crossover steering as you retain all your steering even if crossed up and twisted. Plus it just 'feels better' making it a safer steering setup even on the highway (compared to standard).

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
There are stops on the knuckles that limit how far the steering can travel. Unless you can change that, and I don't recommend it, because it leads to tires rubbing on fenders, bound up U-joints and stuff like that, no steering box or rack and pinion or anything else is going to change the turning radius. Learn to drive a truck.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Welcome!
Try backing into parking spaces - I did a lot of that in HS, especially with the boat of a '75 Ford F250 long wheelbase supercab.

Turning radius is sharper, and as a bonus you can pull right out when you leave !:cool:

Best of luck!

Britt
Hah, I back in no matter what I'm driving for these reasons. But in the Burb, backing in is the only option.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j250trxr