New window glass in mounting bracket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hambo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I just bought a new truck and the previous owner shattered the passenger side window recently. I havent had any luck finding a new window at a junkyard. I want to order a new window from lmc but I dont know how I attach the window to the metal bottom bracket that slides onto the window track? Is the glass glued to the bracket? My current bracket has sharp jagged pieces of glass sticking out of it.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
There are a few youtube videos that show it

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Warm the channel, remove the tape.
Now days, they are using urethane windshield glue, problem is, holding everything true while the urethane is drying.
You might try some of the OLD body shops. there used to be a flat, black sort of a thick strip that would be doused in gasoline then immediately the window and the strip would be shoved into the channel, making an instant bond, That stuff was theee greatest for holding in vent windows and side windows.
Do`nt ask Me what it was called, I do`nt remember. Maybe someone in the forum will know.
If You can get that strip removed from Your channel, without damaging it too much, You might be able to reuse it by dousing it in some gasoline then shoving the new glass, and the strip into the channel.
Might be worth a try, if it is the same stuff.

hambo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Warm the channel, remove the tape.
Now days, they are using urethane windshield glue, problem is, holding everything true while the urethane is drying.
You might try some of the OLD body shops. there used to be a flat, black sort of a thick strip that would be doused in gasoline then immediately the window and the strip would be shoved into the channel, making an instant bond, That stuff was theee greatest for holding in vent windows and side windows.
Do`nt ask Me what it was called, I do`nt remember. Maybe someone in the forum will know.
If You can get that strip removed from Your channel, without damaging it too much, You might be able to reuse it by dousing it in some gasoline then shoving the new glass, and the strip into the channel.
Might be worth a try, if it is the same stuff.

You must be registered for see images

Awesome! Thanks for the info. Found this diagram on LMC. Is #12 the strip that your talking about to glue it in? I have an 87 and its listed as "filler channel" for only 73-80. Maybe they started using the glue after that?

Last edited:

hambo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Sweet. I'll order that!

hambo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Seating Side Window glass in channel

I've been trying to replace my side window that got smashed out by the previous owner in my k20. I got the old shattered glass and rotted rubber out of the metal channel that goes on the rollers, but now I can't get the new glass in the channel with the rubber in between it. The rubber goes between the glass and the metal channel to cushion it and keep the glass in with friction. I've tried the rubber mallet and im just worried about breaking the glass. I was going to call my local body shop and see if they could seat the window really quick? Are there any other ways that I could seat it?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1420736249728.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420736249728.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 112

hambo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I got the window and the rubber strip but now im having trouble getting it to seat in the metal channel. Any tips?

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I got the window and the rubber strip but now im having trouble getting it to seat in the metal channel. Any tips?
Make sure there are no chunks left in the channel.
IF that rubber molding is of the good old stuff, looks like smooth sort of a rubber, then, "OUTSIDE" of any buildings, put out Your cigarette, pour a little gasoline into a pan, dip the seal into the gasoline then, form the molding around the glass, it might help to sort of shape it before dipping, then, shove the glass and molding into the channel.
The molding should become slick, if it is the smooth black stuff.
I know there is some stuff used for this, sort of black and looks like it has pieces of cork in it. I know not how that stuff would go, if gasoline would slicken it so it will all fit together or, if it is meant to be used with urethane glass sealer.
Someone with more knowledge than I might chime in, ifn You give some more information of what type of a molding this is.

hambo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Make sure there are no chunks left in the channel.
IF that rubber molding is of the good old stuff, looks like smooth sort of a rubber, then, "OUTSIDE" of any buildings, put out Your cigarette, pour a little gasoline into a pan, dip the seal into the gasoline then, form the molding around the glass, it might help to sort of shape it before dipping, then, shove the glass and molding into the channel.
The molding should become slick, if it is the smooth black stuff.
I know there is some stuff used for this, sort of black and looks like it has pieces of cork in it. I know not how that stuff would go, if gasoline would slicken it so it will all fit together or, if it is meant to be used with urethane glass sealer.
Someone with more knowledge than I might chime in, ifn You give some more information of what type of a molding this is.
Thanks Marty. Yes it is the smooth rubber. I was going to try the gasoline but im just wondering, how does that help? Doesnt gasoline degrade rubber?

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks Marty. Yes it is the smooth rubber. I was going to try the gasoline but im just wondering, how does that help? Doesnt gasoline degrade rubber?
Not this stuff, it needs the gasoline to make it slick enough to get every thing into place. Do not take too long to put it together though, that stuff sets mighty fast, as the gasoline evaporates.
I do not know if any other petroleum based spirits would work, the old timers where I used to work taught that to Me and, if it aint broke, do`nt fixit. :shrug: :popcorn:

Last edited:

hambo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Okay. Thanks. With the rubber dry its been hard to get it on. Im. Afraid itll set before I can pound it on once I soak it. Once its coated in gasoline, have you been able to press it on or do you have to use a mallet?

hambo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Not this stuff, it needs the gasoline to make it slick enough to get every thing into place. Do not take too long to put it together though, that stuff sets mighty fast, as the gasoline evaporates.
I do not know if any other petroleum based spirits would work, the old timers where I used to work taught that to Me and, if it aint broke, do`nt fixit. :shrug: :popcorn:
Once it sets I cant redo it right? If I mess up?

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Okay. Thanks. With the rubber dry its been hard to get it on. Im. Afraid itll set before I can pound it on once I soak it. Once its coated in gasoline, have you been able to press it on or do you have to use a mallet?
The stuff We used to use got so slick it just shoved right in then set.

Once it sets I cant redo it right? If I mess up?

Well, I do`nt know if the whole thing could be resoaked and the glass removed or not. Chances of the gasoline soaking that deep within the channel might be slim to none.
I always marked the glass, where the channel was suppose to fit in but, seeing as how Your glass was busted, You might have to assemble the whole thing, with the glass loose in the channel, then mark it with a permanent marker, with the window rolled up tightly.
The marking lines can be extended upwards on the glass after the glass is back out of the door. Just in case the marks would get washed and rubbed off while trying to get it all pieced together.
That would be the only and safest way to get every thing together right the first time.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Is it together ?
How did the gasoline work with that seal material.
Same stuff was also used for the wing window too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squareframe