New/used transmission.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I took the 85 on a trip today to pick up my transmission from a dude that responded to my craigslist add. I kick myself for not having a camera handy because this dude had an incredible collection of square bodies. His entire back and front yard were filled with trucks in better shape than mine is. This dude had an absolute gold mine.

Once I get a transmission jack I will do a writeup on how to R&R a Muncie sm465.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ahh that sucks not to have a cam. Did it kinda get you stiff in the pants??? LMAO I wanted to get all mine in my backyard and take a pic one day. But, the other 3 were at another location, and I didn't have the Burb yet. So I only got pics of 5 of them. 2 of these trucks pictured here I don't have any more. The one without the bed is the one I sold every single piece of it with exception of the block that had rods hanging out of it. Sold the heads and the rest of the engine though. Then the red 80 GMC with the bull bar is the one I recently parted out and scrapped the body cuz it had more rust than I wanted to deal with. Although, it wasn't real bad, it was bad enough when I come across fairly rust free trucks somewhat often. Normally if they aren't 90% rust free or better, I won't buy them and even at that, it better be pretty cheap otherwise I prefer the 98% rust free trucks which most of mine are.

Attachments

• Trucks5-1.jpg
    Trucks5-1.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 147
  • Trucks5-2.jpg
    Trucks5-2.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 138

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Thats a good collection of trucks, Im mostly jealous of all that space you have haha. This place reminded me of a sardine can, just with trucks instead of fish. Im going to figure out what other part I need to buy from him and go over there with a camera.

Found this gasket kit, hopefully should be getting this today.

You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sadly, I have plenty of space here at the house. I live in a Cul de Sac with a large lot, but its about useless unelss you like mowing grass since the city is so strict. Once they found out about the trucks back there, I had 7 days to move them or $100 fine for each one, and after 10 days, they'd impound them. My backyard is big enough, I can drive my Box Van with my 18ft trailer on it back there, make a U turn and come back out. Although, I actually bought this house with intent to build a driveway all the way to the back of the lot to a 30 x40 shop which is legal, and then I could have my trucks back there provided they were kept on the concrete surface, and not dismanteled unless inside the shop. So I can't complain a whole lot really. If it was allowed the neighborhood would like hell. I was just pist cuz I do keep my messes and projects organized, yard manicured and noone could see it but me, since its all behind a 6ft stockade fence. So now, many of them are out at my dads 160 acre property 70 miles east of here where he can do whatever he wants. The rest are at the rented shop I have a couple miles from the house. Just sucks I have to go 140 round trip to work on those projects, so it doesn't happen often. Someday, I hope to get them consolidated to 4, then I can have them back here in the driveway and at the rented shop and not have to go the 70 miles each way.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So are you just resealing the SM465? Or rebuilding it?

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
So are you just resealing the SM465? Or rebuilding it?

I figured I would put new gaskets and seals on it while I wait for a jack. I dont want this one leaking like my last SM465.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Good idea. What happened to your last SM465? You might wanna check to make sure that pin in the shifter handle is in good shape. Common issue for them to wear if you are gear shifter hand rester, and if the last owner rested his hand on the shifter, he may have caused excessive wear on the pin and then you end with shift fork problems. I have heard there is a way to weld that assembly if you get it just right, then you can avoid the pin wear situation and rest your hand on the shifter all you want.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I remember my dad bitching about resting your hand on the shifter while driving so its a habit to not even touch the shifter unless your shifting. I read up about that issue while I was looking for a new shifter, My current one is tight as hell so I will swap it into the next SM465.

My last transmission is junk because I drove it with low gear oil. I had a fixed fan that was noisy as hell so I could not hear the bearings being destroyed. By the time I realized my transmission had a bad input shaft bearing it was too late and I had to drive about 900 miles in that condition. Its still on the road and still has all the gears, I just know its going to most likely bind up and grenade soon. Im not doing that again...

If you try to order a gasket set for these transmissions the only one I found was at Napa, part number PG TS80161. The guy at the counter had a hell of a time finding it, I had to convince them they had it in stock. Save yourself some time and just give them a part number.

Do you think I should get some silicone and put a light coating on the gaskets or just stick them on the clean surface?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I remember my dad bitching about resting your hand on the shifter while driving so its a habit to not even touch the shifter unless your shifting. I read up about that issue while I was looking for a new shifter, My current one is tight as hell so I will swap it into the next SM465.

My last transmission is junk because I drove it with low gear oil. I had a fixed fan that was noisy as hell so I could not hear the bearings being destroyed. By the time I realized my transmission had a bad input shaft bearing it was too late and I had to drive about 900 miles in that condition. Its still on the road and still has all the gears, I just know its going to most likely bind up and grenade soon. Im not doing that again...

If you try to order a gasket set for these transmissions the only one I found was at Napa, part number PG TS80161. The guy at the counter had a hell of a time finding it, I had to convince them they had it in stock. Save yourself some time and just give them a part number.

Do you think I should get some silicone and put a light coating on the gaskets or just stick them on the clean surface?

There isn't any pressure on those gaskets and they look to be pretty thick. I'd say you could get by without using anything, just be sure to torque your bolts to spec would be the most important thing to do. I doubt using a little goop to hold them in place until you get them tightend wouldn't hurt. I usually use vaseline for something like that, just to hold them in place until torqued. I hate cleaning silicone off of something, so I don't use it unless I have to.
But actually, you'd be suprised at how much abuse those SM465's can take. If it were me, I wouldn't be afraid just to replace that input shaft bearing if its the only thing making noise, fill with proper oil and run with it. Usually if anything critical is going to get messed up first, it would be soft parts, like soft brass synchos. So if its holding in all gears and not popping out of gear, I say the damage was minimal, replace the bearing and run with it like a new one. Thats just me though, cuz I have lots of faith in the SM465. Couldn't say that for an NV4500. Much more fragile on the oil and lube situation. Also to note. Are you aware how to tell if its an input shaft bearing? This noise you hear will be heard in L 1 2 and Reverse. But if it quiets down in 3rd gear, or your last gear, final drive 1 to 1 ratio gear, then its the input shaft bearing. Reason this is, with a 1 to 1 ratio, there is little to no strain on the input shaft and its a straight thru the gear box shaft at that point, so the noise quiets or goes away. If that is your situation, by all means, I'd beleive just an input shaft bearing would have that trans as good as new again, well almost new. So, don't trash it. its still a good back up or builder for someone.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Its definetly the input bearing, the only reason it lasted so long was most the miles were in 4th gear. The syncro going to 2nd is gone, I want to hold onto it but I dont want to haul it around in my bed forever, maybe I will sell it on craigslist. Very tough unit though none the less.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Its definetly the input bearing, the only reason it lasted so long was most the miles were in 4th gear. The syncro going to 2nd is gone, I want to hold onto it but I dont want to haul it around in my bed forever, maybe I will sell it on craigslist. Very tough unit though none the less.
OK, then you didn't waste your money. If you had synchro damage, you're right. The damage was done. I wish you weren't so far away. I'd take it and add it my collection of treasures (LMAO, junk pile) and when I had spare time, I'd autopsy that thing and rebuild it. You are right. You don't wanna be hauling that heavy thing around.

j-dogg

Reaction score
hey get to work on that tranny bro im gonna go buy a new clutch kit within the next few days and will be installing it...i will take some pictures of that operation as well

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
What you need is a truck your like your little bro. Have both SM465 and an Automatic. That SM465 starts acting up, just put the SM465 in Nuetral, then shfit in D and run the automatic. LOL, That is so damn cool. I like it so much, I am gonna take my shifter stick out of my SM465 sitting in the shop, and I'm gonna mount it in the hump of my truck.

Attachments

• Jdoggsautonmanual.jpg
    Jdoggsautonmanual.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Haha yea the backup trans is the way to go! that thing is nasty, its a good thing I left my pressure washer there for you. Tell you what GMsquare, I can take it apart and ship it one gear at a time over there haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Misty Blue