New Process A833 4speed w/ OD MY6 MM7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tyger13us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
450hp/357cid
You're K10 is running identical # as my 85 K1500, Th350,3.73 and 31x10.50-15. Yeah, it tachs a bit @ 70, but as you said, small blocks love it. This is the truck I hope to put my A833 in. I already have a NP208, but you can bet your ass, as soon as I get a Round pattern NP205, it will be installed in place of the NP208.

I really wanted to go the 4.10's, but I think I'm going to leave the A833 truck as my hopefull mpg getter, and other K10, and hope to maybe acquire a K5 Blazer or K20 Burban before I get to the that project, will be the one I do the 14b Full Float w/ Detroit Locker, 10 bolt front w/ ARB Air Locker, Th350/NP205 since I have that already, and run 35's. I'd kinda like to find a Th400/NP205. Getting older, I'm not as fast as I used to be at pulling transmissions and Tcases, so I'd be willing to suffer the disadvantages of the Th400 over the Th350 for the strength.

Got something for ya im sure ya will be interested in...... didnt know where else to put it...:favorites25: A present......

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I sure wish I could get that in full size image to print. I have alot of exterior photos for linkages, side covers, wiring and all that for the MYB in an 87 manual, and I have full exploits in other brands, but not that identical full blown exploit. I wish I could get my damn scanner running. I've got some good stuff in my book about this trans. Like a spec chart on page 7B-11 of the 87 GM Service manuals shows, 3 speeds M62 and M64, 4 Speed M20 which is the SM465, all get 11 inch clutch. 4 Speed O.D. MY6 gets both Aluminum and Cast Iron, get 12 inch clutch plate. I'd actually like to find a 2wd unit too, I'm really liking these things. I really wished to hell I could get the 4x4 running with it. I'm so sick of looking at the thing in the garage just begging me to touch it. :rofl:

Tyger13us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
450hp/357cid
I sure wish I could get that in full size image to print. I have alot of exterior photos for linkages, side covers, wiring and all that for the MYB in an 87 manual, and I have full exploits in other brands, but not that identical full blown exploit. I wish I could get my damn scanner running. I've got some good stuff in my book about this trans. Like a spec chart on page 7B-11 of the 87 GM Service manuals shows, 3 speeds M62 and M64, 4 Speed M20 which is the SM465, all get 11 inch clutch. 4 Speed O.D. MY6 gets both Aluminum and Cast Iron, get 12 inch clutch plate. I'd actually like to find a 2wd unit too, I'm really liking these things. I really wished to hell I could get the 4x4 running with it. I'm so sick of looking at the thing in the garage just begging me to touch it. :rofl:

my diesel has a 12 inch clutch,, well,, 11 7/8 to be technical,, and come to find out that the pressure plate and clutch disc will bolt to 2 of my chevy truck flywheels........

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
my diesel has a 12 inch clutch,, well,, 11 7/8 to be technical,, and come to find out that the pressure plate and clutch disc will bolt to 2 of my chevy truck flywheels........

Yes, that same clutch and pressure plate call for gas or diesel, and both 11 and 12 in call for the same flywheel on gas units. I was wondering if I'd have to get a new flywheel, cuz I fully intend to run the 12 inch clutch. It'll be a bit stronger and hold tighter. Just makes me wonder, why GM figured this trans needed a 12 inch clutch and the SM465 needed an 11 inch if they felt the SM465 was superior? Only thing I can think of, is figuring more strain on the clutch to hold the rpms up in Overdrive is what I come up with in my head. Especially if running 2.73 or 3.08 at 1600 rpm **** 60-70mph with 31x10.50 tires.

Tyger13us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
450hp/357cid
Yes, that same clutch and pressure plate call for gas or diesel, and both 11 and 12 in call for the same flywheel on gas units. I was wondering if I'd have to get a new flywheel, cuz I fully intend to run the 12 inch clutch. It'll be a bit stronger and hold tighter. Just makes me wonder, why GM figured this trans needed a 12 inch clutch and the SM465 needed an 11 inch if they felt the SM465 was superior? Only thing I can think of, is figuring more strain on the clutch to hold the rpms up in Overdrive is what I come up with in my head. Especially if running 2.73 or 3.08 at 1600 rpm **** 60-70mph with 31x10.50 tires.

It never slips then,, it slips the worst when your trying to get 10 tons of 2 ton hay bails rolling with a 6 wheel pintle hitch trailer and 3.08's..

its smokes the clutch,, once ya get it rolling there isn't any problems,, just dont stop to fast as it will push you all over the place and keep her rolling so ya dont have to start out from a dead stop...LOL

i never went to OD,, didnt want to break that tiny lil gear..........

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It never slips then,, it slips the worst when your trying to get 10 tons of 2 ton hay bails rolling with a 6 wheel pintle hitch trailer and 3.08's..

its smokes the clutch,, once ya get it rolling there isn't any problems,, just dont stop to fast as it will push you all over the place and keep her rolling so ya dont have to start out from a dead stop...LOL

i never went to OD,, didnt want to break that tiny lil gear..........

You can trust, I'll do all I can to break that tiny gear. Realistically, as you said above, once you have it rolling... And I don't see any need to be slamming OD, like I would 2nd in a race or maybe even 3rd if I had low enough gears. I've never heard of anyone tearing up an OD gear. Now, GM had a recall on some 82 S10 manual 5 speeds. Using OD, cruising along at 65 or more, the trans would seize up in first gear. This didn't have to do with gear size though. It had to do with the gears being to high in the gear box and not being lubed. So a fix being an additive to the gear oil, probably something like Lucas, was added. I was in a vehicle when that happened as a passenger, it wasn't fun **** at all. We were every which way but straight. Got it fixed, then the Recall letter came in.

Tyger13us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
450hp/357cid
"We were every which way but straight."

Had a 64 nova ss and tacked it out in 3rd "th350",, with a ratchet shifter and went to down shift and it went straight to REVERSE!!!!!!! @ over 80 mph locked um up and WOOOOOOOOOOOOPIE hang on...

busted the the big C clip out of the rear of the case,, new case time.......

surprisingly thats all it did to the th350....

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
"We were every which way but straight."

Had a 64 nova ss and tacked it out in 3rd "th350",, with a ratchet shifter and went to down shift and it went straight to REVERSE!!!!!!! @ over 80 mph locked um up and WOOOOOOOOOOOOPIE hang on...

busted the the big C clip out of the rear of the case,, new case time.......

surprisingly thats all it did to the th350....

So much for the lockout safe shifter doing it's job. KInda why Reverse valve bodies are even safer and required once you hit a certain race class.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I had that book open laying here on the desk, where it says the A833 trucks all got the 12 inch clutch, and even the SM465 gets the 11 inch clutch. Under that chart there is an * with a footnote, for the SM465. (12in Clutch w/ Diesel Engine).

Tyger13us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
450hp/357cid
I had that book open laying here on the desk, where it says the A833 trucks all got the 12 inch clutch, and even the SM465 gets the 11 inch clutch. Under that chart there is an * with a footnote, for the SM465. (12in Clutch w/ Diesel Engine).

any diesel 6.5/6.2,, no matter what stick it had in it,, has a 12" clutch...that i know of anyway.......

Un less ya live in farm land,, ya would be surprised what **** farmers do..

i got a 6.2 from out in the field from a farmer,, 6.2,, busted block where the starter bolts on and had a broken rod,, so it was done ,, hauled it home,,"free kind",, tore it down for the heads,, 1 head was a 6.2Lc and the other was an 87 J 6.5,, well ****...........no wounder it blew up.......

but i got 1 good head out of it and abunch of internal parts......

rct1969

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I just picked up my first A833 Last week from an 82 1/2 ton 2wd(from the junk yard of all places). It is all aluminum and has the GM standard bolt aluminum bell housing. Any idea when the dual pattern bell was phased out?
Anyone ever have problems with the threads stripping or tearing out of the tailhousing where the shifter bolts on? mine appears to have some need for attention. Just currious.

Still in the process of reading all 12 pages of this post. Great info here!

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I know the 87's had the dual pattern.

Never heard of those threads being tore out at all on any transmission. Someone had to have been quite abusive I'd think. Is it past using a HeliCoil in it?

rct1969

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I know the 87's had the dual pattern.

Never heard of those threads being tore out at all on any transmission. Someone had to have been quite abusive I'd think. Is it past using a HeliCoil in it?

Yeah someone either ran too short of bolts, over-tightened them, or ran it loose after a clutch job. Should not be that bad of a fix though, 1 of the 3 are good, the others are needing some love!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
86 squared