New Engine Coolant Leak, Hi Temp.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

creativesteveo

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 V8
Hey guys, it's been a while. Let me catch you up...

My Uncle (who is a mechanic) and I messed around with my engine for at least a month and couldn't get it working right. And I needed my truck working very soon with all the construction happening at my house. So I bought a new engine. This engine:
http://paceperformance.com/i-514638...-complete-fully-assembled-engine-package.html

It runs great! So happy.

But now it seems to have a coolant leak.

I replaced the lower radiator hose and thought i fixed the leak.
It didn't leak at all for a few days, now it seems intermittent.

Sometimes the leak is a few drops, other times it's a larger puddle.

Then today I was driving to work and my thermostat was all over the
place. It crept up to right under the red line. SCARY! I was stuck in traffic
for a bit and was revving the ungine up just to blow more air on the engine
to cool it down. The thermostat would drop down a bit if I did that and put the heater on.

I did drop by the gas station and dump in some coolant into the bottle to
see if the radiator would suck it down. Not sure if it did yet. But I put that
coolant in and then it got close to the red line, around 260º.

I'm gonna dump the rest of my coolant into my radiator before I leave work today. I'll drive hoem and just leave the truck there till I can fix this.

I'm wondering if I need a new clutch fan, or a water pump. Or just need to fix this leak.

Any thoughts?

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
sounds like there's air in the system. idk if running up an overheating engine will bring the temp back down like that.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Time to check the water pump. Look at the lower weep hole.

creativesteveo

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 V8
I can try and "burp" the system as well. Take the radiator cap off, jack the truck up, and start the engine to get the bubbles out. That might help.
Hopefully the weep hole isn't too hard to get at so I can check that as well.

Thanks guys.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Time to replace the Thermostat with a fail safe Thermostat!

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
x2. yup check the weep hole on the bottom of the pump.... with the engine off get under the trunk with protective goggles and look at the bottom of the pump. if it's leaking you'll see it

Sent from the dust in front of you!

creativesteveo

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 V8
So I took the truck to a shop to get a coolant system pressure test and I just got a call from the mechanic. He said that the water pump AND the radiator both have leaks. DAMN! Not what I wanted to hear. The shop wanted around $1,000 to fix everything. SCREW THAT. Hopefully I can figure out how to replace them myself.

Anyways, I just got my LMC Truck catalog and was thinking about ordering parts through there. What do you guys think?

I'm not sure when I'll have the money to spring for the radiator, as they are a bit expensive. Does anyone have any tips for a temporary fix? Could I use some type of silicon or something to plug the radiator leaks?

You guys rock!

/Steve

P.S. Anyone got a line on a good electric fan?

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Water pump can be got from your local auto parts store like Napa or Carquest. You can probably get it cheaper thru auto zone or kragen, but you get what you pay for.

The radiator can probably taken to a radiator shop and fixed for around $100 unless it's in terrible shape.

It's easy to change that stuff, just takes a little time.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Change the two gaskets to the block when you change out the water pump. It may come with them.

Actually, water pump and radiator is good news. Like DoubleDingo said, the (copper) radiator can be soldered for cheap, and water pumps are cheap, and both are easy to get in and out.

Really, that's about the best news it could have been.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Repairing a rad really depends where its leaking. Sometimes new is better.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Easy fixes..both radiator and water pump. Just take time and do it. Your local auto parts supplier can get them relatively cheap and usually with a warranty. These radiators being all metal can be flushed, and soldered for a fraction of a replacement unit. If you go the repair route for the leaky radiator, have them flush it as well as its never a bad idea to clean out the years of build up in there. Whatever you do...DON'T dump the aluminum powder in the radiator to fix the leak! Quick fixes...are usually the WORST fixes and will cost you more in the end. Spend the time and do it the right way.

Remember...the mechanic is charging you a base of $65 per hour on avereage for just labor (and they wont work fast either). If you choose the mechanic route, do some research and ask around for referrals from other customers. Honest and reliable mechanics are hard to find anymore. I always use referrals for mechanical issues that I don't have the skillset or tools to perform.

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Those are the easiest 2 fixes! And probably will run about $225 with new rad hoses. The water pump is easy and cheap. The last time I bought one it was $35 after the core return. The Rad is best being re soldered by a rad shop. The new Aluminum rads are not worth the cost especially when your old rad can be refurbished to better than new for less then a $100. And you know the old one fits properly too!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1