Disappearing coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

codfish

Drive a hybrid. I NEED your gas!!
Reaction score
First Name
gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So since I’ve owned this rig I’ve had a slow coolant disappearing act going on. ZERO water in the oil. No visible external leaks. No smell of coolant in the exhaust whatsoever.

Used the ole girl harder this weekend than usual, moving from one cabin to another. “Used” about 3/4 of a gallon of coolant during the 250-300 kilometres in all.

Now I can smell the coolant in the exhaust, and it is clearly on the drivers side. And once the engine is up to temps you can see the extra exhaust from the drivers side.

Intake gasket changed last year for rear oil leak.

Did a compression test today. Here are the results, and a pic of the plugs.

Any suggestions as to where to start? Won’t be right away as I’m off to work in a couple of days for 2 weeks, but might have time tomorrow to check any simple things.

Thanks
Codfish
You must be registered for see images attach

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Seems like there's a chemical you can add to the coolant that will show if combustion gases are present (under black light maybe?).

codfish

Reaction score
First Name
gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Head gasket or cracked head.
That was my guess too.

Would’ve liked to see a compression test with a cylinder way lower than the rest to indicate that.

And I forgot to mention that the cooling system will hold pressure for a week or more, without being driven or even started.

Old Guy Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Was the engine hot when the compression test was done?
I would also suspect head gasket or crack.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
May not show on compression. Another way using a pressure tester, pump it up to max [whatever the cap is rated at]. Let it sit for a few hours or overnight. Then either by hand or starter crank it over with plugs out. Look for coolant.

Spark plug on offending cylinder would normally be clean or cleaner than the rest if burning a lot of coolant. Didn't see that in posted pictures. It may end up being one of those best guess diagnosis. You know where the water isn't leaking, what's left?

My own SB would use a little coolant and run rough for the first 30 seconds after sitting overnight but otherwise ran fine. Was surprised when I finally looked into it. Both heads were busted, 1 head gasket was bad.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Also check the bolts for the intake manifold . I used the bolts from my iron intake on a new aluminum intake, and never noticed that at least one bolt bottomed in out in the hole before the intake was tight.

It was leaking slightly in the back passenger side corner between the intake and the head, but slowly running down onto the exhaust manifold and evaporating. I could not figure out where the coolant was going, but I definitely had to top up every week or so. Finally one day it broke loose with a stream and started running out onto the ground.

Found new bolts that were 1/4” shorter and reinstalled the intake. No problems since then.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
You might try retorquing the head bolts, remove the ones that go into the coolant and apply thread sealer.

You would think if the engine was burning coolant you would see a “steam cleaned” spark plug, your look pretty good.

It’s probably time for a leakdown test. Top off the radiator first, you know you found the problem cylinder when coolant starts to bubble in the radiator. Ideally, you would want to do the tests with the engine hot. You may have a tiny crack in a head or block that only leaks hot.

This might be a good candidate for the cooling system seal tabs. Those were SOP during cooling system service on the early 4100 Cadillac engines. They do work well for sealing minor flaws.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Also could be a warped head, not just a cracked head or bad gasket.

On a 195 straight six, I put the head gasket on with #2 Permatex on both sides and torqued it down. What?! you say. Yes, but I got another 150K miles out of it, and it had 100K miles on it when I rebuilt it.

A warped head could be the result if the engine has been overheated in the past. It may not leak until it's warm.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
No 2 and #4 look washed clean, which would be a head gasket.

codfish

Reaction score
First Name
gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Leak down test done.

#7 the gauge went right to high (bad) then slowly went to low (good).

No bubbles in the rad at first, but once the gauge went to the low zone, the whole column of coolant in the rad started to rise to the point of spilling out.

Stopped the test at that point. Obviously communication between the cylinder and the cooling system.

Hopefully just a gasket:shrug:

Codfish

codfish

Reaction score
First Name
gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
We’ll finally pulled drivers side head. Thinking it got hot at some point before I got it. Had fun prying the head off. Gasket separated into 3 layers.

LOTS of fun cleaning the surfaces….

Back together now and running good. Lifters quieter now. Bonus. Once I get it back on the road I’ll see if the coolant levels stay put.

codfish

Reaction score
First Name
gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size