Passenger side Coolant leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

newguy11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Private
Truck Year
1972-1987
Truck Model
C/k 10
Engine Size
305/350
Just an fyi.

I rebuilt a 350 taken from a 1989 TBI and installed it in my 1985 pickup. When rebuilding the engine, I removed the knock sensor and observed what I thought to be a blind hole threaded in 1/4 x 18. I thought nothing of it for the past 18 months and maybe 3000 miles on the engine until I sprung a very small coolant leak.

My starter was giving me trouble and I found it was dripping coolant. I suspected a freeze plug but found a small threaded hole weeping a drip every 10 min or so. I installed a 1/4 x 18 npt plug and problem is solved.

Hope this problem helps the next guy .
-Plug that knock sensor hole -
You must be registered for see images attach

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Lucky, have seen engines dump coolant so fast it didn't show on the gauge, result, burnt up.

If that opened up under pressure all coolant would be gone in seconds.

newguy11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Private
Truck Year
1972-1987
Truck Model
C/k 10
Engine Size
305/350
Lucky, have seen engines dump coolant so fast it didn't show on the gauge, result, burnt up.

If that opened up under pressure all coolant would be gone in seconds.
About 20 years ago I had built a very expensive engine for my Lincoln mk VII that had the oil pressure sensor give out on this very first road trip… that’s a quarter inch hole at 60 pounds pressure or so. That hurt the number eight cylinder and necessitated a bearings change.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
The really concerning thing is what kind of junk is in the bottom of your coolant passages. The SBC use coolant drain holes for the knock sensors... that is an actual open hole to drain the coolant. I'm amazed that the first time the cooling system pressurized it didn't blow whatever is plugging that hole clean out and dump all your coolant.

The BBC fuel injected engines use blind holes to mount the knock sensors, so they don't have that issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef