!!!!Need Np208 transfer case!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I know it's not load bearing or pressurized
But seeing how difficult it is to get the case I'd like to get one if they refuse to weld it
If you have $$ someone will weld it. you could continue to look for one if you like but it will most likely just collect dust on the shelf unless you abuse this one.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
You guys forget that it is aluminum and welding cast aluminum rarely if ever works out very well. I have seen that first hand several times. It has something to do with how the metal grain lays in cast aluminum and when you try welding it, it just doesn't stick together. You would probably have better success gluing it then welding it lol.

That's why you never see weld lines on cast aluminum anything!

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You guys forget that it is aluminum and welding cast aluminum rarely if ever works out very well. I have seen that first hand several times. It has something to do with how the metal grain lays in cast aluminum and when you try welding it, it just doesn't stick together. You would probably have better success gluing it then welding it lol.

That's why you never see weld lines on cast aluminum anything!

welding is a generic term. being cast aluminum you would either have to tig weld or braze it. either of those options by a good welder would be a cheaper option than finding a case.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
welding is a generic term. being cast aluminum you would either have to tig weld or braze it. either of those options by a good welder would be a cheaper option than finding a case.

Thus why I suggested TIG or heliarc.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ya I don't think either one will hold up for very long. I've seen guys try it before and it always just falls apart after a little while.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If the school won't do it, go to your local municipal airport and look for a hangar with the door open. All those old plane mechanics can tig weld their asses off and it would take them 10 minutes. There's no stress on that piece so all your doing is closing up a wound.

Sent from an old rotary telephone.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I called the local welder at home, he impressed me with his welding when I asked him to cut a 14' gate and make it a 3 gate panel, so now I'm about 2 hours from home racing the clock to get there in time so he can have it done today

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Yeah it looks more like a scar than a crack. You can buy this stuff called alumiweld, pretty neat stuff. You can fix boats, all kinds of aluminum stuff with it. I fixed a lawnmower float bowl with it. It looks like a welding rod, you use a propane torch to slowly heat the case while raking this rod over it till it hits the right temp and flows like solder. I bought a couple pounds of the **** and hardly use it but when I need it I'm glad I got it. If you watch the video you'll see it's pretty tough stuff. Gotta be careful with aluminum though, get the base metal too hot and it will fall away, that's why you have to heat it up slow and test the flow the whole time.
http://www.alumiweld.com/

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Case was welded today, there were actually 6 cracks aside from the big one
Cost me 65$
Will probably have to get new seals for it
Hope to have the truck together Tuesday at the latest

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Case was welded today, there were actually 6 cracks aside from the big one
Cost me 65$
Will probably have to get new seals for it
Hope to have the truck together Tuesday at the latest

Nice! 6 cracks is massive.. What happened to the case?

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
They were stressed under my friend wreck it Ralph who had a dead blow, he just happened to hit the hollow spot one good time...
As far as the welds they don't look the best but it seems to hold fluid

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
They were stressed under my friend wreck it Ralph who had a dead blow, he just happened to hit the hollow spot one good time...
As far as the welds they don't look the best but it seems to hold fluid

Ya its good you got it going for now but I would keep your eyes peeled for another case. It wont last for too long.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Post a pic.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
It was done with aluminum rod so it's not pretty, but he's welded aluminum rims for my dirt bikes before so I think it should be fine,
I have been at the next town up remodeling there house I'll be moving into in two months so soon as I got that done and back at my dads I've not seen it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adhkjashda