Need new tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
The tires on my truck are bald, what does everyone recommend as a good all terrain tire and what to stay away from?

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
You are going to get tons of opinions on this- but I like the BF Goodrich all terrains. I've had several sets many years ago and currently have two sets of their new design. One set for winter tires on my '77 and another set on my '03 Silverado. I've never had a flat with them. Not saying it isn't possible, but flats due to rock drilling. About 15 years ago my '78 K15 came with Big O all terrains. Took a trip up the North Fork road (35 miles of gravel) and had 3 flats from rocks going thru the tires.

They are quiet on the highway, good in snow, not too bad in mud, great on gravel roads. On the spendy side- so shop around and find the best deal.

A lot of it depends on what you use the truck for? I had Bridgestone Revo ATs before this and they started chunking real bad. They now have a Revo 2, but I wasn't going to try it.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Right now I am running some goodyear duratracs on my burb and they work really well. In snow for sure and mud as well. I have had good luck with hankook tires and hear good things about Generals At2 as well. I see ProComp came out with a new AT tire that looks nice. I guess it would be nice to know more detail about how much its driven in what terrain and how many miles a year.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Right now I am running some goodyear duratracs on my burb and they work really well. In snow for sure and mud as well. I have had good luck with hankook tires and hear good things about Generals At2 as well. I see ProComp came out with a new AT tire that looks nice. I guess it would be nice to know more detail about how much its driven in what terrain and how many miles a year.

I too really liked the Duratracs (and they are $$), but they are pretty aggressive. Not much of a highway tire. Some friends had the General AT2s and they liked them, but seemed to wear out kinda fast. I ran a set of the old ones before they re-designed them and felt the same way.

I too have heard good things about Hankook tires... especially the dynapro atm rf10 all terrain.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I love my Duratrac's, have them on two trucks, no complaints whatsoever. I've had multiple sets also.

I guess I have one complaint, they used to be alot cheaper lol.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There's a lot of good choices. I'll throw one out there that hasn't been mentioned yet, the Hankook DynaPro MT. Yeah, it's an "MT" but it's on the milder side of things and they ride/drive like an AT tire. Long wearing like the BFG too.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I bought these years ago for the s10 i had and loved them but, they arent available in 33s.
You must be registered for see images

At the time I purchased these they were rated better than bfgs on tirerack.

Main use will be pavement, snow/ice and maybe some mud if i can find someone to go with. Its mainly for hauling car parts and material for house projects. Its not a dd so very little mileage a year.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Your picture didn't open on my computer. When I copied the link and opened it that way it is a craigslist ad for a 95 chevy truck?

EDIT: Ah, all better now.

Last edited:

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I've never been impressed with BFG's, they basically suck at everything except lasting a long time, and sucking for a long time lol.

I generally get about 35,000 miles with Duratrac's, although I've only run down multiple set's on my tow truck, and it's heavy as hell.

The Hankook's look interesting, just for variety's sake I want to try something different on our new FJ.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I've never been impressed with BFG's, they basically suck at everything except lasting a long time, and sucking for a long time lol.

I generally get about 35,000 miles with Duratrac's, although I've only run down multiple set's on my tow truck, and it's heavy as hell.

The Hankook's look interesting, just for variety's sake I want to try something different on our new FJ.

I have never been a fan of any of their tires. The radial TAs were hockey pucks and dangerous with any kind of power, friends had thier drag tas on cars and never really hooked well and the tirerack rating for the ATs was terrible.

I had 50k on the Kumhos when I traded in the s10 and they still had tread left on them.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I just put some of the General AT2s on my '88. No complaints, but they've only been on for about 1000-1500 miles. Ride nice, no visible wear yet.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I like Treadwright retread tires. They take a beating and the price is right.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I like Treadwright retread tires. They take a beating and the price is right.

I have looked at them online a few times and didn't know what to think. My only experience was 25 years ago on my K5 Blazer. It came with retreads and part of the tread blew off on the frontage road. I figured they had to be better but hadn't heard of anyone running them.

Sounds like I'm going to get another "spare" truck here this summer to tinker with. Tires like that would be a good choice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrain04