Need help with 4l80E swap!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scorpion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
a 4l80e is the best Chevy transmission option ever made for a square body, and like I said before swapping under the dash harness takes about two hours and is all plug and play

Not to turn things negative (I have done the 4L80E swap, more in a second) but the OD choice of the 80E vs the 60E is one that needs to be considered. The power that gets robbed by the larger Trans has to be valued by usage need otherwise I'd go smaller. If you tow or load the truck down it does make sense. burb's extra weight? Maybe. I have been in the 4x industry for a while and the 60e is a fantastic trans in the right rig as it frees up those ponies, is easier to come by, and cheaper unless you gotta replace it...

As for my swap - t350 to 80e. All I had to do is move the crossmember back and use a different t-case (I don't count t-line change). For control I selected a TCI/FAST stand alone computer and I was done. Stupid simple with absolutely no thinking. No thinking does = about $700. I already had the stand alone EFI system by FAST and loved the simplicity.

The truck (74 LWB) had a slight decrease in ponies but the new OD afforded me the ability to up the gear ratio (and by up, I mean numerically). Went from 3.73 to 4.56 (on 35's) and the truck came to life. Love the lower first gear ratio too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising