My 3rd Car, a FREE 1990 Olds Cutlass Supreme

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
When a belt loses an end rib like that, its almost a guarantee that the belt is riding a pulley and shifted one rib over. Are you positive that the belt is running properly on the crank pulley or AC pulley? And I'm sure I'm not seeing it correctly in the picture, but that alternator pulley isn't a 5-rib, is it?

I can see now that it was hitting the alternator bracket on top and immediately under it. It rode really close when it was new, maybe too close, but I can’t discount it riding on the compressor pulley moving it over since I did replace that later on. The alternator’s a six rib. Look how close this was new, though.

You must be registered for see images attach

Hard to see, but the old belt wasn’t all chewed up like that. I don’t know what went wrong.

Better pic.

Last edited:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Really couldn’t see much wrong. I got a water pump pulley from PAP because mine was pitted very badly from sitting up in the bayou all those years. I also wire brushed the PS pump pulley just to be safe. You can see a before pic of both of them here:

Got a new belt, and I guess we’ll try this again. Everything’s meshing properly. The new tensioner will intermittently pulsate, but I’m not very familiar with serpentine belt systems, and I can’t say I’ve paid attention to how stiff the tensioners are. I’m gonna read up, but if it’s normal, I’ll let it go and see what happens. The new belt cost be $12.50 so if I have to buy another one because I gambled on the new tensioner doing what it should, I guess I can live with that.

I fixed (hopefully) my fuel leak, and while it was out of service I replumbed my windshield washer stuff. It works, but I may have to flush the nozzles. I also spotted a sister Cutlass on the way to traffic court this morning (I lost).

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It's normal for a used tensioner to move around, especially with the AC compressor engaged.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I was thinking the tensioner idler pulley when you mentioned the belt walking. My cousin had one go bad on his car and it caused the belt to jump and cut into the front of the engine cover. The idler had completely seized.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The belt chewed the rib, and it was sliced in several spots down the middle. I drove it maybe a hundred miles with the old tensioner, but I’ve put about 3K with that new tensioner. It’s a Duralast unit, but I don’t know how good it is. Every tensioner has the plastic pulley now. That itself makes me infer cheapness.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
This car... What a piece of work. It’s been offline since Friday, 10/11. Two days prior, I started to have issues with a runaway idle one minute, and the next it would idle normally. That Friday I tried to get in and go, and it would only idle real fast or not fire up at all. Give it a little throttle when it actually did start, and it’d die. I also had a defective battery for the second time in a year, which threw me for a loop when not only would it not fire up, it wouldn’t turn over either.

I’d actually put around 800-1000 miles on it the previous week. I got caught in a flood outside of New Orleans that started to sweep the car away, but it somehow caught traction and lived to see another day. I think the week before that I saw a mouse in the engine bay so I suspected one or the other could have caused my issue.

I had a Code 22, low TPS voltage and a low coolant light. Strangely, these two share a ground along with a few other management sensors like MAP and IAT. 1V reference was getting to the TPS instead of the nominal 5. Therefore, it was sending negligible voltage back to the ECM when you advanced the throttle. Good ground all around. After testing voltage at the ECM, which was the same as at the sensor, continuity across every remotely relevant wire, and fixing every potential short I could find just to be thorough, I noticed that the coolant level sensor was also getting 1V of reference where it should be getting 5. They get their 5V from different pins on the ECM, which I thought was strange.

I unplugged the CLS, and my TPS is all of a sudden getting 5V and the car is running okay. Also, the pigtail for the CLS is getting 5V reference unplugged. Plug it back in, it all goes to hell. At this point, I’m convinced the sensor had to somehow short the reference leg to the ground leg internally from sitting in that rusty radiator goo for 15 years, but I’ve never heard of such a thing. I need to test continuity across the CLS reference wire if I really want to rule everything out, but I’m 99% sure the sensor is doing something weird where it’s shorting out the reference voltage, and even though the TPS and CLS have different pins for their respective 5V to exit, maybe they derive that 5V from the same place internally. I think one is C7 and the other is C12 on the ECM pinout. Strangely enough, I know the MAP and the TPS share their reference voltage source, but the MAP sensor has been working fine through this whole ordeal.

This is all after having very little time, about less than a day per week on average, to fool with it, replacing corroded fusible links, getting a junkyard ECM when I saw my voltages were wrong straight out of the computer, ordering a hard copy GM service manual from eBay, and having no access to serial data. I also did about thirty or so different voltage, voltage drop, ground, and continuity tests and repeated them about five times each just to be certain. What a joke, but I’m getting there.

If anyone’s had a sensor act like a burnt pilot on a string of Christmas lights, please share.

Jiggity76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
5.7 V8
@Jiggity76 will be happy to see it being saved though it's basic.

just got this 1988 saved last month, it sat for 10+ years but an International 5 speed. It's now in good hands getting restored.

I remember that lovely car! Any updates on it? Yes, I'm very happy it was rescued. Taylor got this one if I remember?

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I remember that lovely car! Any updates on it? Yes, I'm very happy it was rescued. Taylor got this one if I remember?
I haven't talked to him lately, he got a Bravada, not sure what happened to the Cutlass since. Unfortunately, he is known for getting pissed at a car and junking it without telling anyone.

Jiggity76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
5.7 V8
Oh God! I hope that's not the case. If you do find out if that's the case, please don't tell me. Ignorance is bliss in that kind of situation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laqota