More horsepower

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SubDominant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
5.7L
I saw the video link in your signature about about two days ago. I checked it out.

As far as others not chiming in, I chalked it up to lack of interest.

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
I'm interested, but have no input. I imagine there's a chunk more like me.

I've got a similar rig, and a similar desire for more power (like most of us), and a similar need to focus on minimizing cost. My plan has been to swap in a 6.0 that I have in a donor truck, but I'm possibly going to just fix the donor truck and drive it again. If I do that, I'm back to the TBI 350 and possibly VERY interested in what the best options are, along with costs and benefits. I know I can double the HP with the 6.0, especially if I add a little cam, but no more than I drive it, the reliability and longevity really aren't that big of a deal. If I get my drivability fixed on the TBI and gain a little power (I've got a dead spot that I haven't diagnosed yet, probably something simple but it hasn't mattered much yet), that might just be good enough to run for a while. So in short, keep us posted on what you do!

SubDominant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
5.7L
I'm interested, but have no input. I imagine there's a chunk more like me.

I've got a similar rig, and a similar desire for more power (like most of us), and a similar need to focus on minimizing cost. My plan has been to swap in a 6.0 that I have in a donor truck, but I'm possibly going to just fix the donor truck and drive it again. If I do that, I'm back to the TBI 350 and possibly VERY interested in what the best options are, along with costs and benefits. I know I can double the HP with the 6.0, especially if I add a little cam, but no more than I drive it, the reliability and longevity really aren't that big of a deal. If I get my drivability fixed on the TBI and gain a little power (I've got a dead spot that I haven't diagnosed yet, probably something simple but it hasn't mattered much yet), that might just be good enough to run for a while. So in short, keep us posted on what you do!
That's another angle. Mabey most are just not able to chime in because they got nuffin! I actually don't have much to add myself. I am actually here asking questions! :)

But I have proven that 8-9* of timing does make a difference. Adding a TB spacer and pod spacer adds a little.

Now, thanks to Rusty Nail, I am thinking roller rockers and eventually 083 casting TPI heads. Once I am at that point I will be asking about cam choices, intake manifolds, and programming (Dynamic EFI???).

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
I haven't messed with the TBI spacers yet. TBI isn't built for huge power. a mild cam, a little Tuning (or bump your timing a little), free flowing exhaust, a little fuel pressure bump, etc is about all you can do without swapping heads. turning your 210hp into 235-250hp may not be a big lift if thats all your looking for. if your looking for much more than that. you probably need a new power plant in it. Gearing can help a ton also, depending on tire size. I have 3.73, which was probably nice off the line with 29in tires, but just ok get up and go with 33in tires. 4.10 gears or even maybe 4.56 would help with power. But 4.56 probably takes a mpg hit on the highway if you do a lot of highway cruising. I run about 13mpg at 73-74mph and going to 4.10 is a big cost for probably not a ton of felt power increase. tbichips has a lot of good info on power increases with project vehicle examples using the oem heads, vortec heads, and maybe others with different cams, etc.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rumpity_z28