Missing vin on k10 can they be swapped over from a parts truck with most of the parts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Registration varies from state to state. Some are by frame, some are by the body. Here in California, the VIN is based off the frame. You can change cabs, but as others have said, you need to bring proof to the DMV or in our case, the Highway Patrol to verify. They will then assign the VIN to the new body with a State issue tag. Cutting the VIN like you described is a felony in most if not all states.

I would start with your State Police and see if they can ID your truck with the missing VIN.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
Ok, so no paperwork on the new cab but does it have a vin plate?
It is legal for you or you're authorized agent to remove it to do repairs. So you aren't breaking the law (my opinion) if you have a bill of sale for the cab and know the vin number so the police can search to see if it's stolen.
Like highdesertrange go have a talk with the state police and let us know how it goes.

Scottserado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aidan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok, so no paperwork on the new cab but does it have a vin plate?
It is legal for you or you're authorized agent to remove it to do repairs. So you aren't breaking the law (my opinion) if you have a bill of sale for the cab and know the vin number so the police can search to see if it's stolen.
Like highdesertrange go have a talk with the state police and let us know how it goes.
I don’t have any documentation on the truck maybe on the frame there’s a vin but I can’t find a vin on the frame if you knwo where it could be

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
Not saying this will actually work but...

My late father-in-law said you can insert a rivet "nail" from a like sized rivet with head outward, then, with needle nose pliers and reaching around to the back of the rivet, squish the backside of the rivet around the nail till it could be pulled out then reinsert the nail the right way and then reinstall the factory rivet like usual.

He owned a body shop and said it was common practice in shops when they had to replace a cab or body.

I wouldn't even attempt this if you didn't have both titles though. Probably be easier to get DMV to do it on the up-n-up without the worries.

YMMV

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I don’t have any documentation on the truck maybe on the frame there’s a vin but I can’t find a vin on the frame if you knwo where it could be

My '85 K30 has the partial VIN in the top of the right frame rail near the middle of the fuel tank. Others have found theirs under the cab on the right frame rail.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Not saying this will actually work but...

My late father-in-law said you can insert a rivet "nail" from a like sized rivet with head outward, then, with needle nose pliers and reaching around to the back of the rivet, squish the backside of the rivet around the nail till it could be pulled out then reinsert the nail the right way and then reinstall the factory rivet like usual.

He owned a body shop and said it was common practice in shops when they had to replace a cab or body.

I wouldn't even attempt this if you didn't have both titles though. Probably be easier to get DMV to do it on the up-n-up without the worries.

YMMV
I understand rivets and am kind of following you but you lost me when you got to pliars!! Haha

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
Haha! My bad! I meant pliers, of course. Old age is a bummer.:confused:

Wait...I just checked my post and I think I spelled it right. Am I wrong or what did I miss?

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Haha! My bad! I meant pliers, of course. Old age is a bummer.:confused:

Wait...I just checked my post and I think I spelled it right. Am I wrong or what did I miss?
I probably spelled bit wrong because I can't spell at all. I just was lost with the process involving pliers?

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I probably spelled bit wrong because I can't spell at all. I just was lost with the process involving pliers?

After you remove the head of the original rivet nail, you take the pliers and squeeze the hollow body of the rivet from the backside so it will push back out. Insert a new rivet nail from another like size rivet. Now you have a reusable factory rivet. Some of us may have also done this:)

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
After you remove the head of the original rivet nail, you take the pliers and squeeze the hollow body of the rivet from the backside so it will push back out. Insert a new rivet nail from another like size rivet. Now you have a reusable factory rivet. Some of us may have also done this:)
Following you now

Scottserado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aidan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I can’t rivet guys and my truck is clean just lost title so I’m gonna jb weld the vin in place since all the panels are the old truck basically

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I can’t rivet guys and my truck is clean just lost title so I’m gonna jb weld the vin in place since all the panels are the old truck basically
Great plan!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

I'm gonna be real up front here. That's an absolutely terrible idea. It will look 100% tampered with... may as well just use self-tapping screws to hold it down.

Anybody can rivet. Hand operated riveters are cheap and widely available. Hell, I recently bought a cool old vintage riveter from the thrift store for $1.71 or something real cheap like that.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I'm gonna be real up front here. That's an absolutely terrible idea. It will look 100% tampered with... may as well just use self-tapping screws to hold it down.

Anybody can rivet. Hand operated riveters are cheap and widely available. Hell, I recently bought a cool old vintage riveter from the thrift store for $1.71 or something real cheap like that.
Dream crusher.

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
Lot's of good recommendations here. You said you know the family of the previous owner. See if they will apply for lost title, then give that to you with a bill of sale. One of his heirs is probably the executor of his estate and can sign paperwork. All time consuming, but legal, and you will not encounter problems if you ever sell the truck. Not sure how the laws are in Kentucky but I bet this will work for you. Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400