Manifolds or headers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tyler Rea

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K/2500
Engine Size
350 5.7
I've got a a 76 Chevy with a pretty much stock 350 and it sounds awful. I got the truck and it already had dual exhaust with Hedman headers on it and high flow cats for some reason and that's about all I know about the exhaust other than it constantly leaks no matter how many times I replace the collector gaskets and header gaskets. I'm to the point where Im going to tac weld the collector brackets together. But before I do that I was wondering if putting manifolds on it would make it easier. My dad has always told me that he like manifolds way more because the amount of horsepower I get with the headers isn't worth having to go through and constanty fiddle with the exhaust. What should I do? I don't want to lose power but if it really isn't that much power that I would be losing then would it just be better to put manifolds on?

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Well high quality headers and gaskets don't leak, but they are quite expensive.

It's probably about a 15 horsepower gain over stock.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
If you are buying the paper gaskets stop, the soft aluminium gaskets allow the exhaust to move and reseal as the engine and exhaust move from normal use the same as manifolds use the doughnut gaskets that is soft and pliable. Its all about preference manifolds provide more clearance in the chassis and access to spark plugs but, weigh more, usually have studs in them that break and twist off, those doughnut gaskets are $10 at the parts store.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
If you are buying the paper gaskets stop, the soft aluminium gaskets allow the exhaust to move and reseal as the engine and exhaust move from normal use the same as manifolds use the doughnut gaskets that is soft and pliable. Its all about preference manifolds provide more clearance in the chassis and access to spark plugs but, weigh more, usually have studs in them that break and twist off, those doughnut gaskets are $10 at the parts store.
I went to the fuzzy black gaskets and I’m not going back!!!

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
never tried them, I thought you were talking about collector gaskets.

Another thing you can do is have the collector replaced with a ball and socket collector, they dont use gaskets.

V-bands are a decent option also. Hedman doesn't exactly make the top tier headers though, I'm guessing they are 18 ga or thinner, they'll probably always leak.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407

Another thing you can do is have the collector replaced with a ball and socket collector, they dont use gaskets.
The dead soft ones for the collectors. Mine are ball though. That’s the best way by far.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
X1000

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407

And put springs on the bolts, to hold them to seal but won’t break stuff if the frame needs to flex.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kparris