looks like my front end parts might be going back

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
just got em in from rockauto, all four tie rods and 1 ball joint do not have a grease zerk, No spot for one. The other balljoint does have one, same part number same company made it. The idler arm has them too.

I'm afraid to use them not being able to grease them myself and knowing they have grease in them. I wrote rockauto about it, may call them, guess I'll have to wait and see what happens now.

thatcanuckguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
colin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 stepside
Engine Size
usually the ones without the fittings are what they call "lube for life" usually those come with a lifetime warranty

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
really? that's not bad then and would work fine for me.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
normal for some to not have zerks, they are warrntyied and a good thing, IMO I would never install anything with out a zerk in it. Cant beet Mooge steering and susoention parts, I have never seen one of them with out a Zerk.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I agree, I like zerks and thinking seriously on returning these for some that have zerks.

summits website has the same brand and they ALL say greaseable.

called up rockauto, they said I gotta call tomorrow during normal buisness hours so they can call the makers and find out what's up.

Last edited:

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Keep in mind that Rockauto will make you pay shipping and has 20% restock fee on returned items from what Rockauto told me. Just gotta know what your buying from Rockauto.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Keep in mind that Rockauto will make you pay shipping and has 20% restock fee on returned items from what Rockauto told me. Just gotta know what your buying from Rockauto.

I am NOT Impressed with Rockauto, there shipping is rediculous. I recently got an estimate togather for a friend, the shipping on the order was Close to $50.00. The Parts that I put in my cart was Upper and Lower ball joints, Inner and Outer Tie rods. All for a 95 Thunderbird. i looked at the shipping and it was almost 50 bucks, then I realized they were shipping from like 3-4 different places, Each place was hitting me for shipping at 12-15 dollars each. IMO thats *********

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

I doubt they'd do tht for their mistake. You'd still have to pay shipping for the reutrn though. I was farily certain there are differant part #'s for greaseable or NON greaseable. Meaning, you have have a choice. The parts #'s are the same, but the last letter designated zerk or not. That's IIRC. Or am I getting confused with something else.

Dammit, I typed all that, and as I hit the submit button, I recall now. Its U joints I am thinking of, in the Precision or Spicer brand.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I am NOT Impressed with Rockauto, there shipping is rediculous. I recently got an estimate togather for a friend, the shipping on the order was Close to $50.00. The Parts that I put in my cart was Upper and Lower ball joints, Inner and Outer Tie rods. All for a 95 Thunderbird. i looked at the shipping and it was almost 50 bucks, then I realized they were shipping from like 3-4 different places, Each place was hitting me for shipping at 12-15 dollars each. IMO thats *********

I agree I dont like that either. I had to order my freeze plug set from Summit cause Rockauto was going to charge me $20 sum dollars for shipping cause they didnt have it. They going charge shipping on the place they order it from then charge shipping again to get it to me. They said company they get it from wont directly ship it to me.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea their shipping is high, and if they charge some restock bull I aint returning them.

As for buying ones with zerks, NO they say nothing about with or without zerk if they did these would have them plain and simple.

summit says my exact part numbers are greaseable but the ones I got aint. So you tell me what happened.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
talked to tech on the phone, said he'd check into it and try to get me another balljoint, but was talking like I'm stuck with the tie rods. If I knew they'd last it'd be fine but I think they only have 90 days and if that's the case it may be that long before they get put on the truck. I'm not returning anything if I have to pay restock or even shipping most likely.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

X2

And their parts descriptions are very vague and the pic and info on the parts links sucks.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
very true, LOL what pic, my parts had no pic of them.

the uppers came in and they have grease zerks so they are good to go.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
very true, LOL what pic, my parts had no pic of them.

the uppers came in and they have grease zerks so they are good to go.
One of those, the upper or lower one usually don't have it or is blocked off because of clearance with the drive shaft yoke, isn't it?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
not a clue but driveshaft yokes are in the middle away from the ball joint, but tie rods may be close.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Misty Blue