School Me on Front End Parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
OK yeah , but guys I had to work on foreds!!!
If it keeps the books balanced, that's all that matters. It like the saying- $20 is $20

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

fried_daddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
5.3 LS
Not yet, but I have heard a lot of good things about their parts so I think you will like them. I purchased mine through rock auto as it was the cheapest place. Most important thing is to use their grease liberally, otherwise they will squeak bad from what I have been told
Yeah. I saw the best price at RockAuto. I will be placing my order very soon, and also order some extra grease.

I bought the energy kit and put them in factory control arms. Check my build thread for some pics.

Ok. Going to check it out now.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Nice! You have any pics of them installed on factory control arms?

I can get some when I'm back at the shop tomorrow my old arms an a new set I just rebuilt are there.

Have you ever rebuilt a set before? I can give you some tips but it's still a time consuming job even if you have a shop full of tools lol.

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I can get some when I'm back at the shop tomorrow my old arms an a new set I just rebuilt are there.

Have you ever rebuilt a set before? I can give you some tips but it's still a time consuming job even if you have a shop full of tools lol.
It surely is. I used a ball joint press and a regular 20 ton press and an air chisel and a torch and it goes forever lol

fried_daddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
5.3 LS

Thanks!!

I've rebuilt the set on my 66 Galaxie. It was a PITA but I got it done. Easiest way for me to get the old ones out without bending the arm up was using a drill bit and torch to get the rubber out then an air chisel to crush the outer sleeve enough to knock it out. For replacement, I used a piece of pipe in between the top and bottom so the arm wouldn't bend when I pressed them in.

fried_daddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
5.3 LS

BTW.... I still want the tips on building them!! Always ready to learn new tricks.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Thanks!!

I've rebuilt the set on my 66 Galaxie. It was a PITA but I got it done. Easiest way for me to get the old ones out without bending the arm up was using a drill bit and torch to get the rubber out then an air chisel to crush the outer sleeve enough to knock it out. For replacement, I used a piece of pipe in between the top and bottom so the arm wouldn't bend when I pressed them in.
After I get the lower arms out I cut small pieces of 1/8 inch x 1 inch strap and weld it in the arms opposite of the closed side to support it for removing and installing the bushings. It just reinforces the arm for everyday driving also.

fried_daddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
5.3 LS
After I get the lower arms out I cut small pieces of 1/8 inch x 1 inch strap and weld it in the arms opposite of the closed side to support it for removing and installing the bushings. It just reinforces the arm for everyday driving also.

That is also a good idea!

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
BTW.... I still want the tips on building them!! Always ready to learn new tricks.

Well you pretty much have it. Drill out the rubber, then I take a hacksaw an cut a slit in the outer bushing. Collapse it some and it will fall out.

If you're doing energy suspension bushings you can put the outer shells in the freezer a few days to shrink them a little. You can use a ball joint press on the lower shells to install them (don't forget to support the ears) an one of the uppers. On the second upper you have to put the cross shaft in an then the outer shell usually it will hammer in fairly easily if you froze them.

Adding the plate to support the lowers is a very good idea. I did it on my set before they got ruined...

fried_daddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
5.3 LS
Well you pretty much have it. Drill out the rubber, then I take a hacksaw an cut a slit in the outer bushing. Collapse it some and it will fall out.

If you're doing energy suspension bushings you can put the outer shells in the freezer a few days to shrink them a little. You can use a ball joint press on the lower shells to install them (don't forget to support the ears) an one of the uppers. On the second upper you have to put the cross shaft in an then the outer shell usually it will hammer in fairly easily if you froze them.

Adding the plate to support the lowers is a very good idea. I did it on my set before they got ruined...

Never heard of the freezer trick before. I will definitely be doing that. I have the big OTC ball joint C clamp tool now. Previously, I rigged up the arms in my 20 ton press which was kinda sketchy.

Do you have any pics of this support plate for the lower arms. I think I know what you are talking about but I want to be sure. I have plenty of scrap metal around and I would like to make that mod to mines while I am rebuilding them.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Just weld it on the lower side of the A-arm under the bushing. Supports the open side to prevent collapsing when you remove and install the bushings. Weld it , grind it off ,if you want ,then coat it with your choice of coverings

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Like this, I didn't really specify how much to be done an I think the Fab guy just used the length or width plate he had laying around.

You must be registered for see images attach

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Wow , that's strong! I only do about 1/3 of that, but how many lower arms have you seen that were wadded up on the front side because they hit something? This way would really hold up!! Good job!!!

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Wow , that's strong! I only do about 1/3 of that, but how many lower arms have you seen that were wadded up on the front side because they hit something? This way would really hold up!! Good job!!!

Ya he may have went a little over board. Sadly one of them still got bent thanks to another driving running me into a curb. Trashed my wheel, spindle an bent the frame a little also. I have tubular a-arms now.

Ive seen a bunch bent in that area myself.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Yeah, I remember that tragedy. Does it drive ok now? Better with the tubular arms?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK