Looks like it's time to part with one of my squares

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
Originally, I had planned to bequeath my 82 made for the 83 model year C-20 Heavy duty weight rated truck to a friend.
However, knowing his landlord and his neighbors are already complaining that he has too many vehicles in his yard (one I know doesn't run) he won't have anyplace to park it.
He had agreed he would never sell it or get rid of my truck, but reality indicates things will work out differently as I know he won't be able to afford a garage or safe storage unit for it.
I am hoping the truck market is still holding up well for squares that are not rusted or wrecked (this truck is straight) runs and drives real nice, but needs a little TLC due to age and miles.
My health is failing at an accelerated rate now, and I cannot even do simple tasks fixing the truck, I can add gas and oil and that's about it now.
Time to part with it and use the cash I get to have things hauled in here that I need that the hospice folks won't be able to transport.
I will get pix in the daylight, and then edit to add them, but probably won't be up to washing the truck to get the dust off.
Having to haul water to begin with, truck wash is very low on priority list.
Has a 350 goodwrench engine, TH350, JB-7 brakes with 13x3 rear drums and HD front disc.
Two 20 gallon factory gas tanks with the large opening to accept the regular leaded gas nozzle (hence the heavy weight rated trucks as the lighter duty ones were restricted to unleaded).
Edelbrock 1406 carburetor with manual choke,
Front end has been rebuilt a while ago and is still very tight- control arms, tie rods, steering box, etc ....
New dual exhaust system not real noisy, but has a sweet sound to it, definitely lets one know it's there and running but still fairly quiet exhaust level at highway speed.
This truck LOVES to cruise on the interstate and drives real sweet, many times I have had to back off the gas pedal because it creeped up to the 100 mark on the speedometer (85 mph speedometers suck anyway) and took me by surprise it wanted to boogie.
I am really going to miss this truck after I part with it.
I need to figure out a good asking price for it, and at a price point that will make it worth somebody to go to the hassle of dealing with the sucky roads to my remote off grid location.
Definitely a fun truck to cruise around in.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
I don't have a good price estimate for you, but pics are always helpful. You mention needing some TLC due to age, but what specifically needs work? The rest of your description sounds like a perfect truck.

Lastly, I'm really sorry to hear of your failing health. Your a responsible man for not letting all your physical possessions become someone else's problem.

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Can’t say anything that will help your overall situation, I’m sorry….
Wish I or another one of these fine gents on here lived closer.
None of us should be too busy to lend a helping hand.
But back to the truck.
Pics obviously tell 1000 words, but in general, a good running straight rust free 80s C20 that needs the proverbial paint and interior and some TLC fetches around $3k, maaaaybe up to $4k for the right person at the right time and situation. But running driving no rust squarebody C20s are basically dime a dozen up here.
You don’t get the rust either but I’d surmise that there may be a higher % of rust free but totally cooked and crispy (wiring, interior etc) trucks (due to the sun and heat) down there. Point is, if it’s not totally sun baked it may be more valuable.
Easy part is getting it listed for sale. Don’t dink around. Get it listed. Can’t sell it no one but us chickens knows it’s available. Craigslist adds are $5 for a month. I’d put it up for $4k obo and if someone shows up with 30 benjis give ‘em the keys and the title.

wlwarnke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Down here in TX they’re quite valuable.
The 77 C10 I’m working on at the moment (for a customer) was bought for $10k a few months ago.

100% stock other than it’s been lowered with wheels and tires.

Rusty, rotted, but looks good in pictures. Tired 305 and TH350.

I can’t believe he paid $10k.

If yours is as clean as you say, it should be worth quite a bit.

A close friend bought an 89 or 90 Jimmy from World Wide Auto or something like that in Colorado a year or so ago. Again, bone stock but clean and no rust. Tired TBI 350 and even worse shape 700r4. He paid like $16,500 plus TTL.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
Down here in TX they’re quite valuable.
The 77 C10 I’m working on at the moment (for a customer) was bought for $10k a few months ago.

100% stock other than it’s been lowered with wheels and tires.

Rusty, rotted, but looks good in pictures. Tired 305 and TH350.

I can’t believe he paid $10k.

If yours is as clean as you say, it should be worth quite a bit.

A close friend bought an 89 or 90 Jimmy from World Wide Auto or something like that in Colorado a year or so ago. Again, bone stock but clean and no rust. Tired TBI 350 and even worse shape 700r4. He paid like $16,500 plus TTL.
Mine is not bone stock, but fairly close.
Some things have been changed.
It's been repainted somewhere along the line, but the body is amazingly straight except for a dent in the driver's door.
Somebody installed a spotlight on the driver's door pillar, but at least they screwed up and made the mounting hole too low.
The engine has been swapped with a Goodwrench 350 and I had to have a new exhaust system made after the PO's headers failed.
It has a TH350 trans and as I understand it, should have been a TH400 for the model year 82.
I have been meaning to get pix and post them, but I have not been feeling well lately.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@wlwarnke, yes there are people who will pay too much for anything. And if a guy hangs on long enough, the chance of finding one of them folks is greater.
By comparison, buddy has an original garage find 77c20, loaded, under 40k miles, basically perfect old truck aside from a few paint issues with the repaint (but it’s a 9 of 10 to someone who don’t know paint. Whole truck is spotless and all documentation since new.
He’s hoping to get $8500. No one even looking at it over $10k.
C10s, apples to apples fetch way more money than c20s. And c20s get more money than Suburbans.
That’s why I’d consider a C20 if I was going to lower it. Because it would be cheaper and better start to a lowered truck.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
@mtnmankev if you can get a couple cell phone pics of that truck and text them to one of us we can post them for you. Feel free to PM me and we can swap cell numbers if that would help you. Do you have an actual dollar figure in mind for this truck?

@Grit dog is your buddy advertising that truck anywhere? A pic or link to that in another thread might be helpful.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
@mtnmankev if you can get a couple cell phone pics of that truck and text them to one of us we can post them for you. Feel free to PM me and we can swap cell numbers if that would help you. Do you have an actual dollar figure in mind for this truck?

@Grit dog is your buddy advertising that truck anywhere? A pic or link to that in another thread might be helpful.
@Redfish
My cell is a flip phone with no text or data service but the camera does work and I can transfer pix to my laptop that has a screen big enough to work on and see what i am doing.
Smart phones have a microscopic screen I can't see what I am doing and the touch screen crap is too sensitive and I keep hitting the wrong thing, so I stick with the dinosaur flip phone.
It's really hot out this afternoon and a thunderstorm is trying to move in.
I need to move the truck a few feet to a better spot in the driveway, and also need to remove a bit of clutter from the floorboards, maybe tomorrow I can hobble outside before the heat sets in and get it done.
The pic in my avatar is the one I am looking to sell.
I am thinking of asking $4,200 and see what response I can get.
I would like to advertise it in Texas cities and anyplace where non rusted trucks might be in higher demand and worth somebody making a road trip here to get one.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
You must be registered for see images attach

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Seattle CL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad