Looks like I have to rebuild or replace my 350 in Houston area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wingman50

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L
Bought a long block 350 from Mabbco Motors in 2020. Had it shipped to my mechanic who put it in for me. Was able to due everything for around $3000 including a new alternator power steering pump, water pump and new oil pan. Still running great. Believe Mabbco Motors is close to Houston. My experience was great and glad I did the long block replacement.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
Learning is important part of mechanician, Like these guys, this I have done. I thought it was fun. Now I can completely tear a truck or car down and put it back together, maybe a few times to get it right. Don't care what anybody thinks, I wanna learn.

You must be registered for see images attach

Don-T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Decades ago I needed to put a rebuilt engine in my ‘81 C10. I too had no place to work on it. I rented a mini warehouse and an engine hoist. I was able to work inside and take all the time I needed. It worked out well.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Learning is important part of mechanician, Like these guys, this I have done. I thought it was fun. Now I can completely tear a truck or car down and put it back together, maybe a few times to get it right. Don't care what anybody thinks, I wanna learn.

See,this is the kind of sh!t I was doing at 15. GOOD TIMES !

Steppin Razor

Reaction score
First Name
S
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 silverado
Engine Size
Didn't realize this thread had legs. I ended up looking around for a shop, picked the most well known in town, Texon because they do the removal and install and offer a 3yr/36 if they do. I'm not 51, not 15, didn't grow up working on cars and have done plenty of jobs on my cars and truck that took way longer than they 'should' have. If it all goes smooth, maybe it's easy, but I have yet to do anything where it all went smooth. I spent 3hrs rebuilding one rear drum just wrestling the damn springs on and getting the parking brake adjuster close. Maybe there's a simple method and an order of operations, but I don't know it. I've got a job, I've other things to do, I can't just stop life go get a hoist with no vehicle to go get it in and pick a random parking lot to swap an engine for my first time by myself.

Anyway, as is consistent with every time I've taken any vehicle, mine or my parents, in the last 24 years, it hasn't gone well. I had it towed to Texon Feb 1. They messed up once and had to get another longblock to rebuild so I just got it last Friday. I drive it home, cross member is all wet. Cleaned it off, ran an errand, crossmember is covered in oil. Call them and they say drop it off this morning. For some reason, they decided to redesign my throttle linkage I had replaced last year with bits from the trash, so the cable end promptly split. Jerry-rigged it to get there. They give me a call just a bit ago and tell me it was old oil, there's only a small timing cover leak. Mind you, after I cleaned it off and verified it was a fresh leak, I had to put in nearly a quart and a half. So I'm guessing it's the crank seal, which they think they can solve by globbing on silicone sealer (which there's already plenty). So it looks like I will probably be going back there 3 or 4 times, until it would've been cheaper to fix the right way the first time. Sigh. Every time I go to a mechanic I'm better off doing it myself, but myself is no mechanic either, and I don't have a space to work on it these days.

1lejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
1985 , 2004
Truck Model
k-1500, 2500 HD
Engine Size
350, 6.7
You could try Thunderbolt they have been in business for years. They are on the North Side of Houston. You are experiencing why most of us prefer to work on our own junk. Most shops today don't give a rat azz about quality. The satisfaction of doing the job yourself is an awesome feeling. Making mistakes is the most frustrating feeling. In the end that's all life is about. Good luck with your truck. We all have been in your postion.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Didn't realize this thread had legs. I ended up looking around for a shop, picked the most well known in town, Texon because they do the removal and install and offer a 3yr/36 if they do. I'm not 51, not 15, didn't grow up working on cars and have done plenty of jobs on my cars and truck that took way longer than they 'should' have. If it all goes smooth, maybe it's easy, but I have yet to do anything where it all went smooth. I spent 3hrs rebuilding one rear drum just wrestling the damn springs on and getting the parking brake adjuster close. Maybe there's a simple method and an order of operations, but I don't know it. I've got a job, I've other things to do, I can't just stop life go get a hoist with no vehicle to go get it in and pick a random parking lot to swap an engine for my first time by myself.

Anyway, as is consistent with every time I've taken any vehicle, mine or my parents, in the last 24 years, it hasn't gone well. I had it towed to Texon Feb 1. They messed up once and had to get another longblock to rebuild so I just got it last Friday. I drive it home, cross member is all wet. Cleaned it off, ran an errand, crossmember is covered in oil. Call them and they say drop it off this morning. For some reason, they decided to redesign my throttle linkage I had replaced last year with bits from the trash, so the cable end promptly split. Jerry-rigged it to get there. They give me a call just a bit ago and tell me it was old oil, there's only a small timing cover leak. Mind you, after I cleaned it off and verified it was a fresh leak, I had to put in nearly a quart and a half. So I'm guessing it's the crank seal, which they think they can solve by globbing on silicone sealer (which there's already plenty). So it looks like I will probably be going back there 3 or 4 times, until it would've been cheaper to fix the right way the first time. Sigh. Every time I go to a mechanic I'm better off doing it myself, but myself is no mechanic either, and I don't have a space to work on it these days.
I can help you. PM me your contact #. I have a trailer if you need me to pick it up also.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I live about 25 miles south of Houston and didn't chime in becauseofthat. I have a guy that's swapped 1 motor and 2 transmissions for me without a problem. If you need him to do this fir you just let me know and I'll get you his information. Sorry to hear of your experience. Good luck!

Steppin Razor

Reaction score
First Name
S
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 silverado
Engine Size
You could try Thunderbolt they have been in business for years. They are on the North Side of Houston. You are experiencing why most of us prefer to work on our own junk. Most shops today don't give a rat azz about quality. The satisfaction of doing the job yourself is an awesome feeling. Making mistakes is the most frustrating feeling. In the end that's all life is about. Good luck with your truck. We all have been in your postion.
Yeah, no one cares anymore. I work on it myself otherwise, I just don't have the means at the moment for something like this. I picked it up Friday and it's still leaking from the same spot. I also discovered the ac lines were probably cut during removal or re-install because it doesn't blow cold air anymore and I just had it converted with an R134 kit including compressor in September. So there's that on the list too.
I looked into thunderbolt. There's also one near my house. They did not have a good rep with the people I asked, and I read their warranty posted online. There are a lot of ways they can escape coverage, and on top of that, even if they cover it they only cover labor up to $16.50/hr. Which was probably the labor rate before my truck was even made. Texon has also been in business I think 60 years, so they should be able to do a small block chevy with their eyes closed.
I can help you. PM me your contact #. I have a trailer if you need me to pick it up also.
That's very kind of you to offer. It isn't leaking bad enough I can't get it back there. I'll top it off and run it over Mon morning.
I live about 25 miles south of Houston and didn't chime in becauseofthat. I have a guy that's swapped 1 motor and 2 transmissions for me without a problem. If you need him to do this fir you just let me know and I'll get you his information. Sorry to hear of your experience. Good luck!
I appreciate that. At this point, they've taken my money and now they are going to fix it or admit they are incapable and refund it to me.

Last edited:

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
What a nightmare! That sucks! Sorry to hear that. It's hard to find a good mechanic that does it right.

I had thunderbolt rebuild my transmission in my 05 Dakota for 3,300. It was advertised much cheaper but y'all know how that goes by the time they're done. It ran good for about another year or so then started shifting crappy again so I just traded it in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag