Looks like I have to rebuild or replace my 350 in Houston area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steppin Razor

Reaction score
First Name
S
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 silverado
Engine Size
I've got a 77 c10 with the 350/350. Seems I had an oil leak that went unnoticed since my pressure gauge inside read fine and I had no spots on the ground, so crank bearings are toast. I don't have a space or tools to work on rebuilding it myself, so if anyone has any leads for either shops in the Houston area, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
I've got a 77 c10 with the 350/350. Seems I had an oil leak that went unnoticed since my pressure gauge inside read fine and I had no spots on the ground, so crank bearings are toast. I don't have a space or tools to work on rebuilding it myself, so if anyone has any leads for either shops in the Houston area, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Sorry to hear that! Which side of town?

Steppin Razor

Reaction score
First Name
S
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 silverado
Engine Size
Jeggs or summit long block delivered to your door would be my choice for a stock, quick. fix.
Eric
Unfortunately, I don't have anywhere to work on it, or a hoist, so I've got to get it done at a shop.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Unfortunately, I don't have anywhere to work on it, or a hoist, so I've got to get it done at a shop.
I've done a swap at a closed gas station in one day. It's not hard a hoist is cheap, you only need 6 hours (less if you've got skills)with no one noticing you. If you've got a good used engine or reman long block.

Bloodhound1981

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
I've done a swap at a closed gas station in one day. It's not hard a hoist is cheap, you only need 6 hours (less if you've got skills)with no one noticing you. If you've got a good used engine or reman long block.
Roadkill style. Love it.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Not doubting you. And I’ve replaced a few old Chebby motors (30-35 years ago).
But even someone fairly knowledgeable with a decent set of tools and a helper, it ain’t nowhere near a 6 hour drive in, drive out job. 9 out of 10 times anyway.
Jeez, could spend a couple hours just getting rusty exhaust bolts out…
It’s some pretty optimistic “advice” IMO.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
It's really pretty easy imho.At 17 in high school auto tech I had the engine and transmission out of my Camaro in under 2 hours. I know this because the class was 2 hours that was car pulled in,engine pulled out,car pushed out,and cleaned up for 3rd period. But even by real printed book time it's less than 6. But everyone doesn't work at the same speed or have the same skill set. Honestly I changed out a small block Pontiac outside of a service station while they were closed on a Sunday because I had no where to work on it and pulling an engine outside of a service station wouldn't draw any attention. I grabbed my labor guide. Here's a pic.

Attachments

• 20240117_025106.jpg
    20240117_025106.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
Here we go again...
The guy with a shop and a $27,000 roll away is telling the guy with neither, "it's easy".

Nobody will lend you tools or a shop.
The liability, your lack of knowledge and the chances you could could screw up, tie up the bay for weeks, waiting for an engine to get shipped, is the problem.

My advice: Pay the nice machine shop guy to fix your stuff.
If it breaks, he can fix it under warranty.
If you buy from an online store, you have no way to ship your core, (no way to rip it out if it has issues).
All the on line sellers have had lemons that missed quality check out.

If your mechanic or machinist screws up, they have to pull and replace the engine THEY BOUGHT.
If you buy the engine and it screws up, YOU pay to have it removed and re-installed.

Houston is a big place. Get a quote in writing from a reputable insured machine shop who also offers removal and installation.
Lot's of machinist's have shops they team up with, by the dozens.

Machine shops supply all over town. They know who's good, who's a hack, who is paying the bills, who's late and most importantly who could use a break and earn your business. Your machinist might find you an empty bay in 1/2 hour.

Make 1-2 calls instead of fifty.

"It's Easy".

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Here we go again...
The guy with a shop and a $27,000 roll away is telling the guy with neither, "it's easy".

Nobody will lend you tools or a shop.
The liability, your lack of knowledge and the chances you could could screw up, tie up the bay for weeks, waiting for an engine to get shipped, is the problem.

My advice: Pay the nice machine shop guy to fix your stuff.
If it breaks, he can fix it under warranty.
If you buy from an online store, you have no way to ship your core, (no way to rip it out if it has issues).
All the on line sellers have had lemons that missed quality check out.

If your mechanic or machinist screws up, they have to pull and replace the engine THEY BOUGHT.
If you buy the engine and it screws up, YOU pay to have it removed and re-installed.

Houston is a big place. Get a quote in writing from a reputable insured machine shop who also offers removal and installation.
Lot's of machinist's have shops they team up with, by the dozens.

Machine shops supply all over town. They know who's good, who's a hack, who is paying the bills, who's late and most importantly who could use a break and earn your business. Your machinist might find you an empty bay in 1/2 hour.

Make 1-2 calls instead of fifty.

"It's Easy".
You know I was working on cars long before I even had a complete set of combination
wrenches.Just lots of desire to build cars..My first swap I was 15 a 327 chevy, no hoist,3 friends 2 pieces of pipe and 2 chains, that didn't work well but we got it out. Going in with a 350,a rope a tree limb a pulley and pulled the rope with my uncles van,pulled the donor engine that way too,did a few more that way then graduated to come alongs. My life working on cars wasn't a cake walk. But even pulling engines with come alongs,a Japanese socket set and a few misc. hand tools I never thought it was hard.

Last edited:

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Swapped a 454 into a friends K5 a few years ago. We did it in 8 hours with no rush. We were prepared, had all needed tools, hoist and fluids and we both installed/swapped engines before. Without experience or friends who know what they are doing not so easy.

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
Ricko, you are ALWAYS stalking these threads?

Why? Hack mechanic expert on the prowl?

The guy who repeatedly sells new members on a short cut?
(Not the correct fix, just a hack).

What's wrong brother?
How can we assist you to become who you were?

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Ricko, you are ALWAYS stalking these threads?

Why? Hack mechanic expert on the prowl?

The guy who repeatedly sells new members on a short cut?
(Not the correct fix, just a hack).

What's wrong brother?
How can we assist you to become who you were?
Wtf are you talking about? Wtf is your problem?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad