Should I yank my engine to do oil pan gasket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

t44e6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
1982 K10, 350, 4 speed, stock exhaust. I have a leak at the front of the pan, and probably one on the front crank seal as well. I'd like to correct it before it gets bad. I haven't spent a lot of time looking at it, but it looks like it might be possible to do it without taking the engine out. Maybe with disconnecting motor mounts etc I could do it without too much trouble. Weighing that against yanking the engine / transmission out and taking the opportunity to seal any other potential leaks and cleaning up the engine compartment. Inspect the clutch, rebuild the linkage etc etc. I left a lot of tools when I moved so it would involve buying or borrowing a crane and a stand and also enlisting help. Decisions.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Me and/or friends have done scummy stuff like rod bearings in frame... 2wd or 4x4, either option sucks because of the crossmember or axle (obviously that labor entails pulling the pan)

buttttt, it's alot easier with it out. For as simple as presumably that carb setup is in your k10, pulling a motor wouldn't be as monumental of a task as pulling a fuel injected motor with 90,000 different plugs and ground straps.

If you suspect a worn clutch, or other leaks, that might be the ideal time to just do it all at once with the motor out :)

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It's not a fun job but the oil pan is fairly easy to do with the motor in. Reseal the front cover at the same time. Do yourself a favor buy a 1 piece pan gasket.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If the rear main isn't a one piece I would do that as well.

Reactions: WFO

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I've done oil pan gasket at least 4 times in my truck without having to unhook anything except the starter. Its about an hour job to drop it, clean everything up and put new gaskets on. That's in a stock height K-truck and also with a 4 inch lift. Its easier if you lift the truck up as high as possible and support the frame before letting the axle drop to give the most clearance. That will let you get as much access as possible.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
The best part of yanking the engine is, it gives one a chance to clean everything up and give it a nice pretty new coat of Chevy orange paint.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
The best part of yanking the engine is, it gives one a chance to clean everything up and give it a nice pretty new coat of Chevy orange paint.
The worst thing about pulling the engine on something this old though is that you are bound to find/break at least 2 things that you weren't planning on touching in the first place. Its a simple job to degrease/clean/paint and change the pan gasket in a very short amount of time with minimal fuss. In fact, you can probably do all of that in less time than it takes to even remove the front clip.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ever heard the saying don't poke the bear or don't fix something that isn't broke?

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
I personally like at some point or another to completely going thru an entire system, piece at time so I know it won't fail me, especially if I'm relying on the thing to run over to the next town without issue.
At this point, I have literally been thru damn near every single piece of my suburban now at some point or another lol

That's how my old s10 was when I drove it everyday, and that's how everything else i own will be, when time allows.

If I know it in and out, there's never any mysteries when a problem arises usually

However, if this is just a weekend driver, or just a toy, shitttttt, I'd just slap another pan and gasket on in frame.
Fix the rest as other problems raise their ugly head

John-Ryan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John-Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I've done oil pan gasket at least 4 times in my truck without having to unhook anything except the starter. Its about an hour job to drop it, clean everything up and put new gaskets on. That's in a stock height K-truck and also with a 4 inch lift. Its easier if you lift the truck up as high as possible and support the frame before letting the axle drop to give the most clearance. That will let you get as much access as possible.
Good advice right there!

t44e6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Is blue...in 82...

t44e6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I already bought the chain cover gasket and a new Cloyes timing chain set, I will probably just do it in truck. Pull the radiator out, put it up on jackstands.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Info for anyone else reading this thread, engine in chassis. Pulling the pan on a K truck, plenty of room. Pulling the pan on a 2 wheel drive, not so much.

longbeach

Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Just a note. I did mine with engine in. Not bad at all. I used a felpro one piece rubber gasket. Do not use those pegs they give you to hang gasket on. Not enough room. I used a few pieces of sail twine tied it to oil pan. Just make them a little loose so you can clip them and pull them out once pan is in place with a few bolts loosely holding it. Also, be sure to put a little bit of RTV in the corners by crank like the directions say. Ask me how I know. Sail twine is like a thick thread. The advice about jacking truck up some sounds like a great idea. I did not, but only cause I didn't think of it. Also, had to grind down the outside of a 1/2" and 7/16" sockets to fit on the bolts good.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes