Should I yank my engine to do oil pan gasket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Conejo_K10

Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just a note. I did mine with engine in. Not bad at all. I used a felpro one piece rubber gasket. Do not use those pegs they give you to hang gasket on. Not enough room. I used a few pieces of sail twine tied it to oil pan. Just make them a little loose so you can clip them and pull them out once pan is in place with a few bolts loosely holding it. Also, be sure to put a little bit of RTV in the corners by crank like the directions say. Ask me how I know. Sail twine is like a thick thread. The advice about jacking truck up some sounds like a great idea. I did not, but only cause I didn't think of it. Also, had to grind down the outside of a 1/2" and 7/16" sockets to fit on the bolts good.
I R&R'd my oil pan gasket a few weeks ago and 3 of the 4 pegs worked great.
The downside to the one-piece is it is 2.5x more expensive, but well worth it if you're working upside down.
Hasn't leaked since.
The pan was a little close to the crossmember, but it is possible to remove it.
Tip: If you have trouble removing the pan, rotate the crank to provide more room. With the front counter-weight in the down position
the pan will get hung up on it. This applies to a Gen1 350 SBC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MixManSC