The Joy & Sorrow of Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have not posted on here in a long time, just semi'lurked. I finally had to do a repair on my 83 K10.

The entire steering linkage had become so loose that I was steering 180 degrees and still going straight. It scared me even more when I was loaded down on the 8 ft bed with black locust. My truck drove very straight still but the steering wheel was off by about 30 degrees.

I bought all my parts on Rockauto. I selected the Mevotech Supreme for all my tie rods ends, coupler, and both sets of sway bar bushings. I also purchased a monroe steering damper.

Step 1: Stare in amazement at how loose everything was. The TRE moved freely within the pitman arm and steering arm. The TRE on the tie rod were not as bad. Sway bar bushings were non existent in the eyelets and brittle at the frame.

Step 2: Stare in amazement at the amount of rust. Boone NC receives more snow that most people realize, we use salt too...I drive this truck when it snows...rust ensues.

Step 3: Stupid cotter pins rusted to the nuts. Take your pliers, break cotter pins off, zip the nut off with cotter pins still there and move on.

Step 4: Curse at the factory worker who ran the passenger brake lines just off the frame at passenger side sway bar frame nut and you can't get a wrench on there to hold it from spinning. Wrestle with it until you get wrench on and curse again because you will have to put it back on somehow later.

Step 5:Measure measure measure

Step 6: New TRE stuff goes on easy including steering damper, yay

Step 7: Drill out old eyelet bushings in sway bar.

Step 8: Curse for 2 days because it is impossible to get one piece polyurethane bushing back into the eye of sway bar. Even a ball joint press I rented couldn't do it. I could get the bushing in w/o the metal insert but could not get the metal insert back in.

Step 9: Take sway bar and bushings to a shop with a 30 ton press. The bushings laughed at that too, they gave up as well.

Step 10: Buy Energy Suspension sway bar bushings that are 3 piece. They slide in separately from each side. Insert them no problem with your hands.

Step 11: Go to reattach sway bar, driver side bolt will not thread into axle anchor. WTH. Figure maybe new bolt. Go to hardware store, buy grade 8 bolts. Come back, same thing.

Step 12: Notice that eye of sway bar looks bent. Must have happen at shop with 30 ton press. GREAT!!!

Step 13: Offset eyelet bushing some, bolt threads in no problem!

Step 14: Drive truck, adjust steering arm so that steering wheel straight. Give steering box adjustment nut a 1/8 turn to tighten it a little. Measure toe in to 1/16 inch.

Step 15: All head orifices are filled with specks of rust from all your work including eyes. Sucks!

Step 16: Marvel at your work and be proud!

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I will post pictures here in a while..

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Good job getting 'er straightened out!
For the past year or so I was like you, but now have got mine pretty well under control.
You did not mention it, but did you install new rag joint & steering box?

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I did not, rag joint is ok. The box, I did tighten the adjustment. It may be going out but I put only a 1000 miles on it a year so I see no need until it is real bad.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Will definitely be using this in the future... my steering has slowly been getting a larger deadzone.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Good job, sounds like a lot of work!
You know, not that bad really. The rust really slows it down. I could probably replace these newer ones in 30 min. The sway bar was the PITA...and I thought it would be a piece of cake

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Here is early in the process, sway bar removed. Look at that glorious salt ridden steel...
You must be registered for see images

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That sure is a lot of work for a sway bar. You could have just pitched it into the scrap pile and you never would have been able to tell a difference in how it drove.

I don't know how many times I had read of people removing it and saying the truck drove the same or even better. I thought they were full of it. BUT, tried it myself one day and sure enough, couldn't tell a difference even on freeway ramps.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
My daily driver's are an 08 Trailblazer lifted 4" on 33's and a 11 FJ lifted 3" on 33's, neither has sway bar's front or rear. My GF doesn't even know what a swaybar is and drives all over the place, I run 80-85 down the freeway 70 miles a day, five days a week.

But, if you like your sway bar, then I guess keep it lol. The work is done now.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I could feel it on the one load of wood I got w/o the sway bar. I already had bought the stuff so I wanted it back on. And comparing a live front axle 33 year old truck to an FJ and Tblazer is like apples & oranges in my opinion.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I could feel it on the one load of wood I got w/o the sway bar. I already had bought the stuff so I wanted it back on. And comparing a live front axle 33 year old truck to an FJ and Tblazer is like apples & oranges in my opinion.

Probably, but I don't keep them on anything I own, ever, except car's lol. But, it's your truck and what's done is done.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size