Longbed Inspiration needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
I’ve made a decision, or rather the truck has made my decision... I am a Huge fan of a lowered shortbed with chrome centercaps and beefy tires, kind of like my el Camino... but... that is a short bed. I would grow tired of it being low I m sure, accompanied by its long proportions... I’m sure I would never get the backspacing exactly right... or would move back and forth between it being too low or not low enough... I am just going to keep the wheels, and put some beefy tires on. I suppose a 31x10.5x15 if it will fit on the stock rims. I think the truck will be jut fine with beefy tires and maybe even a 1” or 2” lift.
You must be registered for see images attach

I’ve also started to clearcoat the patina. I’m liking this old beater more and more. The doors were both repainted a darker green, so I aged the doors with sand paper, then cleared over it.

If this was a shortbed, I would drop it down, but I think being a longbed I will just keep it high. I know I would never get the look right and would always want to fine tune it or get a slightly taller tire...

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
They do! Lol i run 31s, actually thought of trying 32s but theyre kinda obsolete...

I was thinking the same thing hah. Yours look good, better than the tires I got for sure.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I was thinking the same thing hah. Yours look good, better than the tires I got for sure.
I got these tires at my job, theye were damn near brand new! Got them free but got pulled over on the way to the tire shop so they ended up costing me about $250 after that. They are laufenn xfit at. Only tire ive seen not wear on the fronts! (Unless its just my square...:shrug:) ive actually got another set of bfg 31s to put on soon as i get some things worked out.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
I got these tires at my job, theye were damn near brand new! Got them free but got pulled over on the way to the tire shop so they ended up costing me about $250 after that. They are laufenn xfit at. Only tire ive seen not wear on the fronts! (Unless its just my square...:shrug:) ive actually got another set of bfg 31s to put on soon as i get some things worked out.

I was thinking of going with BFG MT's for my K5. I've had BFG AT's and Mickey Thompson AT's before.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
My 83 k5 has 31 x 10.5 R15, the factory size.
My 82 k5 has 33 x 12.5 R15 with a 3" lift.
My R10 SWB has the factory 235/75 R15, should have gone 245. Stock ride height.

The great thing about the squares is they are easy to change if you like.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size

I put stock steelies with 235s on once just to see and holy cow it handled way crappier then the 31s!! 31s were WAY more stable and controlable in a curve at exceleration.

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size

Do you have any pics? I am thinking of maybe doing a mild lift down the road.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I was thinking of going with BFG MT's for my K5. I've had BFG AT's and Mickey Thompson AT's before.
I had the original bfg mud terrains on my gmt400 burb and damnd if there wasnt a place they wouldnt go!! BEST tread ever!! Idk about the new ones, ive never ran them.

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
I put stock steelies with 235s on once just to see and holy cow it handled way crappier then the 31s!! 31s were WAY more stable and controlable in a curve at exceleration.

That’s good news! I also have 4.11’s or larger in the rear, idk what they are other than it gets 4 mpg on the highway. A taller tire should help compensate for the short gearing my truck has.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
That’s good news! I also have 4.11’s or larger in the rear, idk what they are other than it gets 4 mpg on the highway. A taller tire should help compensate for the short gearing my truck has.
Not real sure there, stock i had 3.07s. Blew that rear and swapped in a 3.42 posi, both still having 8" wide stock ralleyes with 31s. From what im told with my driving habits and setup i get about 10mpg

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
These are the steelies im talkin about

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
I’ve made a decision, or rather the truck has made my decision... I am a Huge fan of a lowered shortbed with chrome centercaps and beefy tires, kind of like my el Camino... but... that is a short bed. I would grow tired of it being low I m sure, accompanied by its long proportions... I’m sure I would never get the backspacing exactly right... or would move back and forth between it being too low or not low enough... I am just going to keep the wheels, and put some beefy tires on. I suppose a 31x10.5x15 if it will fit on the stock rims. I think the truck will be jut fine with beefy tires and maybe even a 1” or 2” lift.

I’ve also started to clearcoat the patina. I’m liking this old beater more and more. The doors were both repainted a darker green, so I aged the doors with sand paper, then cleared over it.

If this was a shortbed, I would drop it down, but I think being a longbed I will just keep it high. I know I would never get the look right and would always want to fine tune it or get a slightly taller tire...

I think you made a wise choice - keep it truck height !

:)

Looks good!

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
Do you have any pics? I am thinking of maybe doing a mild lift down the road.
For the 3 inch on the 82 k5 if you look at my signature there are several pics I've taken earlier.
It's at the paint shop now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jakebr8k