Lets talk Hydro boost vs vacuume boost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Even though mine is fully operational, to some extent mine is bypassed as well. I set the braking pressure how I like it with an empty truck. When I carry a bunch of people and gear the airbags get pumped up for a level ride, but the LSPV thinks I'm running empty and doesn't alter the pressure. That's where the extra line pressure from hydroboost pays off, it still stops quick even with a 3000 lb. load.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Interesting, I ddin't even know light duty squares have it. I do think I'm going to upgrade my brakes to Burb front 10/1500 brakes which is the same as 20/2500 Pick up brakes on the 4x4's. I only assume GM did cuz Burb weigh more than pick ups, but still, a truck carries loads and tow too, so wtf was GM thinking? I know I know, hayyy !!! We can save $30 a truck by putting smaller brakes on them.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
So this load senseing thing, must be Burb Only? I've noticed that 1500 series Burbs have 2500 brake parts, so obviously Burb has a bigger bakes.

It was used in several applications, my brother in law's '83 C30 had that valve too.

Interesting, I ddin't even know light duty squares have it. I do think I'm going to upgrade my brakes to Burb front 10/1500 brakes which is the same as 20/2500 Pick up brakes on the 4x4's. I only assume GM did cuz Burb weigh more than pick ups, but still, a truck carries loads and tow too, so wtf was GM thinking? I know I know, hayyy !!! We can save $30 a truck by putting smaller brakes on them.

I'm not quite sure what you are referring to. My 1500 Burb had the same brakes as both of my Blazers, not to mention the 6-lug/8-lug thing.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It was used in several applications, my brother in law's '83 C30 had that valve too.

I'm not quite sure what you are referring to. My 1500 Burb had the same brakes as both of my Blazers, not to mention the 6-lug/8-lug thing.

Maybe Blazers get the same brakes. Look up brake parts, backing plates, rotors and pads for a K20 and see what else they fit. K10 Suburbans, but not K10 trucks.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
Work on mine if you want to deal with massive brakes i got them 13 inch rear drums and they were a bitch to take off and put back on when i replaced the springs wheel cylinders and shoes.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Work on mine if you want to deal with massive brakes i got them 13 inch rear drums and they were a bitch to take off and put back on when i replaced the springs wheel cylinders and shoes.

They are a PITA and they are a bit expensive if you need drums, but once you get them done, and done right, they'll last for a very long time, and if you ever carry or tow any kind of heavier type of weight, you'll be damn sure glad you have those biggo 13's. Hard to believe the truck has brake drums as big as some cars have wheels huh?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Maybe Blazers get the same brakes. Look up brake parts, backing plates, rotors and pads for a K20 and see what else they fit. K10 Suburbans, but not K10 trucks.

I don't know where you were looking that stuff up, but it had to have been a wrong listing. The only thing that interchanges are the calipers and pads, and actually there's a light duty and heavy duty caliper. One has a slightly bigger piston, but they bolt on the same. It seems the 3/4 tons generally got the bigger piston.

I'm running the stock small piston calipers on my swapped in 3/4 ton axle. I went to put in the larger piston calipers, but found that my braided brake hoses would not work with them. I modified the calipers so the hoses would fit, but then found the banjo bolt was standard thread rather than metric (even though the specs said the calipers were metric thread). I gave up at that point.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I was certain it was rotors too, so wouldn't it be safe to say backing plate also???

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I was certain it was rotors too, so wouldn't it be safe to say backing plate also???

3/4 ton rotors are bigger and have 2 more lugs. The backing plate/caliper mount is specific due to the larger diameter rotor.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I modified the calipers so the hoses would fit, but then found the banjo bolt was standard thread rather than metric (even though the specs said the calipers were metric thread). I gave up at that point.
The metric/standard banjo bolt difference has to do with year break. 78 and older = standard. 79 & up = metric.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
What me got to checking into this was seeing if I had to change the spindle too to convert my 6 lug front to 8 lug. I didn't do all the research yet, but I know have to change the backing plate and rotors to get 8 lugs. But it appeard to me in the later model Burbs, maybe just the rotors to 8 lug rotors. :shrug: Dunno, didn't finish all that yet. Maybe you know for certain already. I'm referring to 10 bolt 85 models.

I've got different idea AGAIN, and I just decided, I'm not even sharing anymore since my plans change to much and finances are going to play a part. Not even sure if these project will ever get done now. My Dr is about to yank me out of working altogether and that won't be good.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The metric/standard banjo bolt difference has to do with year break. 78 and older = standard. 79 & up = metric.

Yeah I know. I ordered the newer calipers that were listed as metric, but for some reason they weren't.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
What me got to checking into this was seeing if I had to change the spindle too to convert my 6 lug front to 8 lug. I didn't do all the research yet, but I know have to change the backing plate and rotors to get 8 lugs. But it appeard to me in the later model Burbs, maybe just the rotors to 8 lug rotors. :shrug: Dunno, didn't finish all that yet. Maybe you know for certain already. I'm referring to 10 bolt 85 models.

I've got different idea AGAIN, and I just decided, I'm not even sharing anymore since my plans change to much and finances are going to play a part. Not even sure if these project will ever get done now. My Dr is about to yank me out of working altogether and that won't be good.

If it's a '77 or newer axle, the spindles are the same. You have to change the backing plates, hubs, and the rotors.

Now you have to tell us the plan. And get a new doctor :popcorn:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Buddy, I've been running from Dr's that been telling me this **** since I was 30 years old and had my first back surgery. But now, I'm really feeling it. Been feeling it pretty bad for the last 8 years but it's about to turn unbeatable. Not even going into details about that either. But, I think I better do the disability thing while I am at least able to do **** in small doses before it gets to where I can't do anything at all.

Nope, we'll just have to see what happens with the projects. Lotsa **** prolly gonna be for sale though but I'm not giving it away either. The ChevrOldsLet dream is all but over, and I'll be lucky if I get this A833 put into something. Gonna just have to see how things play out.

cbrodine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Collin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
so....how did things play out?

Forum statistics

Threads