Let's say I got a C-30 but NEED to have a 4x4...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Savage

1 post per year
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV M1008
Engine Size
6.2L/Th400/NP208
Driving yesterday, I saw two (what looked to be from the short glance I got) beautiful crew cab dually C-30s with dump truck beds (probably old landscaping trucks) for sale. Now, my dream truck is a square body crew cab single rear axle longbox 4x4. These were in such great condition (again, from what I saw - I'm going to go back for a more thorough investigation) that I'm considering taking one and doing a 4x4 conversion to it. I'd even consider sacrificing my current baby (a K-10) to do this. But finding another 4x4 donor truck wouldn't be too hard, so maybe not.

Point: Just how difficult would it be to make one of these trucks a 4x4 and likely a single rear axle as apposed to the dually setup?

(I'll update this thread with pictures of them when I go back which should hopefully be tomorrow.)

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I would venture a guess that it's not any harder than any other SFA Swap. Not sure which site you came to us through, but, check out FSC and GMFS for some detailed threads in their offroad sections.

Since you already have the K10, you could study how that front end is designed and copy it.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Not long ago my Dad told me the frames are the same, you change out the front cross member, everything bolts on. You would probably change transmissions and need a diffrent rear drive shaft im not sure. I recall something about the trans hump on the floor of your cab as well, you might have to make it taller. Sorry i wish i knew all this for sure but i've never done it. Sometimes you can find a rolling 4x4 chassis for sale, i've seen one on craiglist and know of one at my parents house my dad got for free.

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
I believe you can get all the 4wd brackets and just bolt them on
I think the holes are already drilled

Butch

Reaction score
The hardest thing about the swap is finding a donor truck with everything still in good shape and for a good price.

GothRod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to do this on a 1/2 ton shortie a few years ago and heres what I learned-

-frame is the same

-2wd front xmember unbolts & drops out

-engine xmember, motor mount brackets, spring hangar, shackle hangar, steering box, will need to be scavenged from a 4x4 donor

-the 4x4's used different spring/shackle hangars in the rear as well for a taller ride height

-axles, tranny/transfer case, tranny xmember, driveshafts, and front leaf pack will need to be sourced from a 4x4 donor

-I have a 2wd & two 4x4's sitting out here and the tranny tunnel is different. It is a bolt in hump on my 4x4's, taller, and with a hole for the t-case lever. Note: I wouldn't think this would matter if you are planning a body lift.

Your K-10 would have everything needed provided its complete, except the rear driveshaft which will likely be longer.

:grd:

-John

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
I actually want to convert mine to 2wd. lol

GothRod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^Thats easy, find any 1/2 ton 2wd and unbolt the xmember/suspension/steering box...bolt into yours. I think its cool to see a few 2wd K5's. A guy I know built a '72 Blazer into a neat hot rod 2wd...was sweet seeing a mini-tubbed roadster running around lol

-John

Savage

1 post per year
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV M1008
Engine Size
6.2L/Th400/NP208
Thanks for all the posts guys. It's assuring to find out this isn't going to be as difficult as I thought it might be. Now I just hope I can get back to the C-10s before they are gone and when I do get there they don't turn out to be complete **** or nice but overpriced.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
One thing to consider if you want to swap the rear end from a DRW to SRW is be sure to get a 1-ton SRW axle. 1-tons are 40 1/2" spring perch to spring perch, while 3/4 tons are 42 1/2". Other than that, that's all I can think of you would really have to look out for.

GothRod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^So the duallys have wider leaf spring hangars? I didn't know, I'll want to make sure I remember to bring a tape when I hunt axles lol

-John

Savage

1 post per year
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV M1008
Engine Size
6.2L/Th400/NP208
Just got back from going to see the trucks. I have some good news (for you guys) and some bad news (for me).

After the investigation, it turns out:
  • They're both standard
  • They're both 4x4 (huge suprise to me)
  • They're both diesel (but I don't know what engines are in them)
  • I don't know the years
  • They're both longer than a normal crew cab longbox would be
  • The one without the GMC grille is in better condition with both the metal and interior (the interior is actually pretty good but it's completely stripped down to be a work truck)
  • They're both in pretty fair shape overall

Unfortunately, these are not for me. But I did take down the number incase anyone might be interested. The number is (516) 250-1099. That is a Nassau County area code but the trucks are located on the eastern part of Long Island which is Suffolk County. There was no price on them.

And sorry about the ****** picture angles. I couldn't figure out a better way of doing it with the fence and other truck in the way. And I didn't take many because I was being watched, lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0283.jpg
    IMG_0283.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0284.jpg
    IMG_0284.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0285.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 129

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
^^^So the duallys have wider leaf spring hangars? I didn't know, I'll want to make sure I remember to bring a tape when I hunt axles lol

-John

Sorry I must not have been clear. The 1-ton rear axles are 40 1/2" from center pin to center pin on the spring perches. 3/4 ton rear axles are 42 1/2" which is the same as 1/2 ton trucks. Alot of info here...
http://pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/14b_bible/index.html

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Assuming that their motors are stock from GM, they would have had the 6.2L Detroit Diesel

The beds appear to be 12ft.

You *could* shorten the frame.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Good god those things are long!