I have a 1987 chevy c30 tow truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stumpy2021

Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
I have a 1987 chevy C30 sling back tow truck that I picked up to fix up and maybe take it to shows next year and maybe a little personal work with it. Is there anybody or groups that can help identify what type of tow bed it has and what the capacities are ? It is a single line manual boom with electric winch. Ive had one guy that says he knows all about holmes wrecker beds and swears it is not a holmes. Ive looked at a of trucks on google and havent seen anything the same as mine. Any help would be very appreciated.

Attachments

• my hooker.jpg
    my hooker.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 131
  • tow body 3.jpg
    tow body 3.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 123
  • tow body 5.jpg
    tow body 5.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 82
  • tow body 1.jpg
    tow body 1.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 80
  • tow body 4.jpg
    tow body 4.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 78

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Like it, I owned a towing co. That is not a Holmes but have no idea what it is. Does appear to be factory built and is an excellent design. Something is going on with the cable rubbing the mast. Cable wound wrong direction possibly? Sling is a Holmes design. Doesn't appear to have been used much.

FYI-those 60" C-A trucks can't handle much weight. Lighter vehicles only. If new to tow trucks stopping with a load can be an exhilarating experience. Especially winter driving, no ABS. Most states now require graded tow chains with ID and safety chains.

Below is mine bought new restored last year.

Attachments

• 100_0903.JPG
    100_0903.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 54

stumpy2021

Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Like it, I owned a towing co. That is not a Holmes but have no idea what it is. Does appear to be factory built and is an excellent design. Something is going on with the cable rubbing the mast. Cable wound wrong direction possibly? Sling is a Holmes design. Doesn't appear to have been used much.

FYI-those 60" C-A trucks can't handle much weight. Lighter vehicles only. If new to tow trucks stopping with a load can be an exhilarating experience. Especially winter driving, no ABS. Most states now require graded tow chains with ID and safety chains.

Below is mine bought new restored last year.
Thank you for noticing the winch cable, I havent seen that yet. This is the first tow truck Ive owned so I dont understand what you mean by 60" C-A truck. Also truck wont get driven in winter, but Ive been driving MN winters all my life ( Im 53 years old ) most of it without ABS equipped pickups. ( I hate ABS ). I will be rewinding the cable, Thank you. Ive also already purchased a new set of j-hooks with chains from Zips so I should be good to go there, they do have tags on them. You are giving me great information, Thank you. Your truck looks great.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
60" is short wheelbase, next longest is 84" We primarily used short wheelbase trucks for local in city car and compact truck tows. Obviously longer would have a larger turning circle. If it were me I would replace that cable. Remember if it breaks bad things will happen. Zips has premade cables.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
@HotRodPC may know. I was going to tag towjoe but his user name wouldn't show up to select it

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
This is the first tow truck Ive owned so I dont understand what you mean by 60" C-A truck.

The term CA refers to the cab to axle measurement. Back of the cab to the center of the rear axle. Very important number for body up-fitters.

Here is my hobby wrecker. It has a twin winch 810 Nomar boom with a 6000 lb. wheel lift.

You must be registered for see images attach

The CA is 84", I added the auto loader:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Something is going on with the cable rubbing the mast. Cable wound wrong direction possibly? Sling is a Holmes design. Doesn't appear to have been used much.

Yeah it's either bird nested or wrapped wrong for sure. Once he drags the slack out and unspools some it should be apparent. Should be unwrapping off the top.

Thank you for noticing the winch cable, I havent seen that yet. This is the first tow truck Ive owned so I dont understand what you mean by 60" C-A truck. Also truck wont get driven in winter, but Ive been driving MN winters all my life ( Im 53 years old ) most of it without ABS equipped pickups. ( I hate ABS ). I will be rewinding the cable, Thank you. Ive also already purchased a new set of j-hooks with chains from Zips so I should be good to go there, they do have tags on them. You are giving me great information, Thank you. Your truck looks great.

Welcome, awesome truck!

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
The term CA refers to the cab to axle measurement. Back of the cab to the center of the rear axle. Very important number for body up-fitters.

Here is my hobby wrecker. It has a twin winch 810 Nomar boom with a 6000 lb. wheel lift.

The CA is 84", I added the auto loader:

REPO-RIG!

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
They use sneaker rigs here. It is a unit that is mostly hidden. They can drive around undercover so to speak. Gas trucks, diesels are noisy. There's lots of money in reps but also lots of stress.
For sure, you have to get in, get out with the repo and not get shot in the process

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag