K30 w/hydroboost clutch pedal solution

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I think I have it pretty well sorted at this point. I’d just like to confirm:

-Since 1-piece rear main seals began in 1986, is the flywheel from a 1987 5.7 compatible with my 96-99 vortec 350?

The Advance Adapters bellhousing pn 712576 is designed to be dimensionally the same as an 85-87 sm465, therefore allowing guys to run stock components from those vehicles, such as external slave cylinder, clutch, etc.

I’d just like to confirm that a flywheel from an 87 k30 5.7 sm465 truck will in fact work on my vortec 350.

Thanks for the help!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yep, same one.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
To clarify, the same flywheel was used on the Vortec 350 too. At least with the nv3500. The 4500 maybe used one with a bigger clutch?

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
To clarify, the same flywheel was used on the Vortec 350 too. At least with the nv3500. The 4500 maybe used one with a bigger clutch?
They both seem to be 11-1/2 or just a tad smaller than the flywheel diameter. When searching RA for a 97 3500 5.7 manual trans I get this:

You must be registered for see images attach

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
For pedals I think this is the setup your wanting to get. I picked these up for $250 on the ebay a while back, along with a steering column from a manual trans truck. Now they are just sitting in the garage and waiting.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
For pedals I think this is the setup your wanting to get. I picked these up for $250 on the ebay a while back, along with a steering column from a manual trans truck. Now they are just sitting in the garage and waiting.

Bingo! I've also got a set waiting for install and a set for vacuum brakes. There are slight differences between the two in the mounting configuration to the firewall.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Bingo! I've also got a set waiting for install and a set for vacuum brakes. There are slight differences between the two in the mounting configuration to the firewall.
Yeah, I’ve pretty much come to the realization that since the set I have coming aren’t for hydro clutch and hydro boost brakes—I’ll have to build my own bracket and clutch pedal. I’ll leave the brake pedal assembly alone and probably cut the pedal pad plate down to fit a narrower pad. I’d rather leave the bulk of that assembly alone. I can deal with the clutch going awry whilst driving, the brakes failing is another thing.

Shouldn’t be too difficult, just melting some metal.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Well, my incorrect pedal assembly came. It feels really solid. Shame it’s the wrong one.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Anyone in internet land have an nv4500 np208 combo? I’d like to see how close the floor holes for the shifters are to each other.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
@bucket

the person selling these claim they’re from an 85 c20 hydroboost truck. Doesn’t seem correct to me. Doesn’t the hydroboost mounting flange have only two studs from the cab side and two bolts from the engine bay side? This one has all four studs from the interior side as seen below...

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I can never remember for sure. But I think the hydro pedal bracket is the one with 4 studs.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hydro boost has 2 studs like this. I have all four versions of pedal assemblies (85-87) sitting in my garage.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Hydro boost has 2 studs like this. I have all four versions of pedal assemblies (85-87) sitting in my garage.

You want to sell a hydroboost/hydraulic clutch assembly from an 85-87 to me?

that one in your pic looks right — with the two stud hydro flange. In the pic it looks like it only has the one clutch master support rod. Is it missing or just a funny angle?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'd love to help you out but I'm getting ready to start my conversion on my K20 in the next few weeks. I bought a vacuum/manual assembly from a member on this site because I couldn't find a hydro/manual set. $300 and a week later I stumbled upon an 85 K30 in someone's driveway. I inquired about it and the guy let me take whatever I wanted for $350. Murphy's Law I guess.

I took the assembly completely apart and rebuilt it my way. Rebushed it with a nylon bushing with a wall thickness of 1/8th inch and runs the full width of the new polished and hardened stainless steel "pin." Welded in a new 7/16 stud on the arm to attach the clutch pushrod to and threaded the arm to accept a rod end joint.

All this extra work made this setup smooth as silk and I don't have to ever worry about wallowing out the pushrod holes/studs and replacing those cheesy paper-thin plastic bushing underneath the dash.

Actually I lied. Three sets in my garage, one in my truck currently.

Last edited:

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
@bucket

the person selling these claim they’re from an 85 c20 hydroboost truck. Doesn’t seem correct to me. Doesn’t the hydroboost mounting flange have only two studs from the cab side and two bolts from the engine bay side? This one has all four studs from the interior side as seen below...
So I have a question I was doing some digging in the shed all these posts about swapping over to a manual. If you look close at the picture there is a extra hole on the brake pedal is that so you can use it for a hydroboost or vaccum brakes? The distance seems right. Mine has the hole as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linemanjl