K20 shocks? Single or dual front and brand?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So fun discussion, as I'm getting closer to gettin the truck done.
Has a 4" lift pretty sure the front springs are Rough Country because, well, they are rough!

Needless to say, the truck rides like, well, a TRUCK! Even with big squishy 35s aired down to the right pressure for the load.
Not taking it to Baja, no mud bogs, it will just be a driver.

Truck needs shocks, dunno what they are now, or if they even work (not leaking) but for appearance sake, a new looking truck with a lift will have some new looking shocks to go with it.

Front shocks. Part of me wants to go dual shocks because it looks cool, but never had dual shocks and frankly, don't want any more compression damping, it's stiff enough already, but could use some slow rebound damping to take the "spring" out of it on every bump and dip.

Will dual shocks be "too much" for what I want to accomplish?

Second question, Bilstein 5100s or Rancho 9000s?

I know the Bills are stone reliable and will last basically forever, but they are also pretty stiff. Ranchos cost a couple bucks more, but will A. be adjustable compression damping and B. Will enhance the "look" of a shiny new looking classic truck.

I've read over the years that Rancho 9000s are hit and miss for reliability, another concern.

Rear shocks and new steering stabilizer will just match whatever the fronts are for brand.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
You might consider just replacing the front springs and shocks together. I just put the Tuff Country EZ-Ride 4" lift springs on the front of mine with new ORD bushings and I went with the Tuff Country Shocks all the way around.

Are you going to the PNW K5 & Squarebodies group barbecue on Aug 14th? It's out in Rainier, Oregon but there is a bunch of people coming down from all over Washington. I'll hopefully have my truck back up and running by then and you can see what the Tuff Country 4" and shocks feels like on my K25.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
:favorites13:@Bextreme04
No, wasn’t planning on replacing the springs. They’re like new and, well, there are enough things to do to not mess with what ain’t broke just yet. Besides if I did, I’d want to go 6” lift and redo the whole suspension.

EZ ride sounds nice though. You like them?

Our younger son will be driving it mostly anyway and he’s tough, lol.

I didint even know about the club or the picnic. Thanks for letting me know!
Sounds like my kind of gig.
Imma get on FB and sign up though!
But I’d look like a douche showing up in a new truck, lol, mine isn’t done yet. And I’ll actually be taking our older son to college that weekend.

if you’re ever up this way though, you can show me what your suspension is like and I can show you where the beer fridge is!

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Shock tech / arguments aside..... If you want the dual shock look there's a guy on ck5.com selling a set of brackets for $20+freight.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
@Grit dog I haven't gotten to drive on them yet. The whole suspension and drivetrain got removed, rebuilt, painted, and will hopefully be going back into the truck this week and through the weekend. They seem nice and soft though, just exercising the suspension without the drivetrain in it. I also put in GMT-400 3/4 ton springs in the back and a 4" shackle flip kit.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I think it would be overkill other than for looks. I had a thread about factory quad shocks a long time ago, most people said they either didn't like them much or were blowing apart their lower shock mounts.

My suburban looks to have been the victim of shock mount blowout lol. They definitely look cool, you would just have to beef up the lower shock mount, and maybe a more expensive shock or adjustable shocks.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@Grit dog I haven't gotten to drive on them yet. The whole suspension and drivetrain got removed, rebuilt, painted, and will hopefully be going back into the truck this week and through the weekend. They seem nice and soft though, just exercising the suspension without the drivetrain in it. I also put in GMT-400 3/4 ton springs in the back and a 4" shackle flip kit.

sounds like that will be a winning combo!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@PrairieDrifter
Thanks for that and part of my worry is that they would actually be overkill.
My goal is get this thing finished up so we can go drive the **** out of it like last year, not continue to fix and mod things.
So based on the busted shock mount thing, I will not be going with quad shocks. Thx for the warning!

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
@PrairieDrifter
Thanks for that and part of my worry is that they would actually be overkill.
My goal is get this thing finished up so we can go drive the **** out of it like last year, not continue to fix and mod things.
So based on the busted shock mount thing, I will not be going with quad shocks. Thx for the warning!
No problem! It's definitely a cool look, but that seemed to be the general consensus.

Jawzjeep

Honk if parts fall off
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
You might consider just replacing the front springs and shocks together. I just put the Tuff Country EZ-Ride 4" lift springs on the front of mine with new ORD bushings and I went with the Tuff Country Shocks all the way around.

Are you going to the PNW K5 & Squarebodies group barbecue on Aug 14th? It's out in Rainier, Oregon but there is a bunch of people coming down from all over Washington. I'll hopefully have my truck back up and running by then and you can see what the Tuff Country 4" and shocks feels like on my K25.

Is that an online group? I dont do 'spacebook' or 'myface' or whatever its called so that might be why. Im interested to know more. I'll have to go research it.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I had the rancho 9000s when they first came out. Kinda cool- but found it seemed like every time I went to adjust them it was raining and I'd get mud all over me. I've since just ran Bilsteins. They do a good enough job of adjusting themselves.

Might want to disconnect that front sway bar and wire it up out of the way and take a drive. Might be really impressed by how much softer it rides. And if you don't like the bodyroll if you corner hard then if you get a front sway bar disconnect (even if you never disconnect it) it will allow the sway bar to move and you get a nicer ride but still retain the sway bar characteristics. When I had my Tuff Country HD springs I found there was basically NO body roll.

Off road designs longer HD front greaseable shackle would make a bit of a difference also. Let those springs flatten and move...

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Is that an online group? I dont do 'spacebook' or 'myface' or whatever its called so that might be why. Im interested to know more. I'll have to go research it.
Yep, it’s one of those groups. There is also a Eugene squarebodies group that’s pretty big and now a small Salem one that has recently started up. My truck is still in a million pieces, so I haven’t attended any recent meets, but I’m hoping to fire up the new motor tomorrow morning and start putting everything together and back into the truck. Hopefully in time for the annual BBQ on the 14th

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
When I lifted my Suburban years ago, I acquired a new set of basic shocks that are an unknown brand. They were designed for the factory quad shock option. For a month or two, I drove the truck around on just the single front shocks. Then I found the factory brackets and added the second pair of shocks. I honestly could not tell a difference in how the truck drove.

I never did break a shock mount, it didn't hurt the ride quality and I think it looks cool. The function of it probably has a lot to do with the shock valving.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
My 82 K5 came factory with quads and I have them today.
I used a 3" Tuff country EZ lift, springs all the way around. The shocks are Skyjacker black max.
Not sure if quads make it better but definitely look good.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^All good points. And makes sense a stiff/slow valved shock will put more stress on the mounts.
As would abuse. If someone is trying to play Fall Guy and jump his truck vs a daily driver that just hits a few sips in the road or potholes.

And with your positive experiences I’ll keep the option open I think. But maybe shy away from know stiff shocks like Bilsteins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad