1980 k10 dual shocks to single

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@lifeofbriank10,
In the last pic it looks like the upper rear bracket has been whacked on that one side. Were you still planning on using double shocks? If so and you plan on staightening that bracket out I would inspect it afterwards very very carefully for cracks on that one ear. Our old trucks don't like to have metal beaten back and forth without breaking off suddenly.

vr1967

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Virgil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
6.2L turbo
One thing to remember, is, on trucks with original quad front shocks, the valving was cut in 1/2 on the shocks used. 2 - 1/2 valved (probably not the right term) shocks equal the same stiffness as the regular shocks used on the normal dual shock setup. “Front quad shocks” is how it is listed on my SPID
I’ve been searching for a set for the front of my truck, since I put the lift on 20 years ago, and while some manufactures say they are to run as “pairs” they are entirely too stiff to run together.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The shorter one looks a little compressed in this position as well. Am I wrong in thinking this looks as it should?

These are the shocks I ordered. Sorry for all the newb questions.

You must be registered for see images attach
Shock looks to be an inch or 2 too long. But then again your springs look pretty sacked so could be the right application. That pic makes it look like you need to compress it another inch or so just to get the bolt to make up.
It’ll probably be fine but you need to do the measuring. Hard to measure your truck from the internet….

89GMCJimmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ivan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Everyone has their own opinion for me the auxiliary position more vertical up and down makes my truck handle much better but I do have the 5100s as far as the bottom bolt. I would run it through both holes with a long bolt.

Attachments

• IMG_4648.jpeg
    IMG_4648.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 51

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Newb question here. Why run two shocks and was it really an OEM thing? Was it an option or across the board.

vr1967

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Virgil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
6.2L turbo
Newb question here. Why run two shocks and was it really an OEM thing? Was it an option or across the board.
Option. what I was told by a dealer back in the 80s was that it took longer to heat up the oil in 4 shocks if using off road than it did 2.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Option. what I was told by a dealer back in the 80s was that it took longer to heat up the oil in 4 shocks if using off road than it did 2.

That answers two of the questions. Thanks

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Something left out?
The "why run two shocks". What was the logic back then? If it was a good idea, it would still be around. I'm just curious because these trucks weren't exactly made to run the Baja 500.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
The "why run two shocks". What was the logic back then? If it was a good idea, it would still be around. I'm just curious because these trucks weren't exactly made to run the Baja 500.
Because ADS hadn’t built these yet…

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size

As previously stated by @vr1967, the idea was to add shocks to compensate for old technology that caused shocks to get stiff / somewhat rigid when cycled fast and hard. You don’t see dual shocks now because technology has advanced to the point that 1 can do the job of 2 now.

That said, I always loved the look of the quad shock option.

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1980/1984 Frankenstein
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
Starting on the rear and the bottom has way to much wiggle room as you can see. Am I supposed to put the washers on the inside?

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Yeah, you need to fill the gap. stock shocks may have a tad bit of the bolt sleeve sticking out on each side to take up that slack.

If you don't want to stack washers DIY4X.com sells "Heavy Washers" that are 1/4" thick that might look cleaner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tater81