Single tank to dual tank FIX!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

73LAGGY

Reaction score
First Name
levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
350 Small Block
The previous owner converted my truck's dual tank system to a single tank setup, and now I'm trying to rectify that decision. It's my first time owning a square body (a 1976 K20 with a 350 small block engine), and I'm in the process of undoing all the modifications the previous owner made. I've purchased a fuel tank switcher valve, but I need assistance with setting up the wiring. Any recommendations for videos or posts that could guide me through this process would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Levi, with all due respect, that's a wiring project not for the inexperienced and faint of heart.. I've done a few of these... Added a second tank where none existed, repaired the wiring that some flake hacked into oblivion, and even installed the late model system on an early version.. My best suggestion is obtain a factory service manual and wiring diagrams.. The diagram will illustrate wire gauge, color coding, and component function..

Use the search function on this site, you'll probably find exactly what you need.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Welcome. Which selector valve do you have? 3 or 6 port? Are you going to run a return line ? The parts have to match the system you want to build (sending unit, selector valve and tank selector switch) There are wiring diagrams for the selector switches and valves. I would do a complete new fuel system wiring and not try to patch something in the existing harness. As RustyPile said get a factory service manual and wiring diagrams.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
A ‘76 dual tank setup is relatively simple, but you just have to follow the wiring diagram and not try to reengineer it too much.

First get the right fuel valve
If you have a fuel pump with a return line, you need the six port switching valve. The 3 port valve is used if you do not have a return line on your fuel pump.
The old 1976 six port valves with a single electrical terminal are not produced new anymore, so some use the newer six terminal valve. There are wiring diagrams and project descriptions out there to follow.

Then work the original wiring
With one tank in 1976, the factory routed the gauge feed through the firewall, across to the passenger side of the engine compartment, then down the passenger frame rail to the sending unit at the gas tank. Simple.

When they added the 2nd tank they left all the single tank wiring in place.
- added a dual pole, dual throw dash switch, to switch the gas feed and the gauge at the same time
Five wires at the switch are
DPDT Fuel switch side has 12 volt power from fuse panel, 12 volt feed to the switching valve (and one terminal is open) . Switch just applies 12 volts to the valve so it will switch tanks.
Other side of DPDT switch - wire to gauge on middle terminal, wire from left tank, wire from right tank. It switches the gauge feed for the tanks.

Where it gets complicated is the long wiring attached to the switch.
- one wire runs over to ignition-on 12 volts
- four wires run through the firewall and down the drivers side frame rail
One sending unit wire drops out and connects to the drivers side tank, three wires run across under the cab and over to the other tank.
At the passenger side one wire goes to the tank sending unit, one to the wire that runs up the frame rail to the gauge, and one is the 12 volt power to the valve.

I suggest drawing it out in a diagram in the rough shape of the truck. It helps to get a mental picture of how it is all routed.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Second tank wiring alternate suggestion.

Run a single wire back to aftermarket switching valve. Tap into gauge wiring behind the cluster, run both sides to a 6-pole changeover dash switch. Provide fused power to other side of switch the changeover valve wire is on. Only problem with this design is possible power loss. If that happens the valve will revert to the non-power side and gauge may not be on correct tank. On trucks wired like that I used fuel on the valve with powered side first. Could also be used on 6 port systems but would require 2 valves as the 6 port valves are no longer made. More complexity and possible failure.

Above being said, starting from scratch, I would use the factory GM style and run all the wires back to changeover valve. Those valves do not require constant power to hold on a tank.

73LAGGY

Reaction score
First Name
levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
350 Small Block
Welcome. Which selector valve do you have? 3 or 6 port? Are you going to run a return line ? The parts have to match the system you want to build (sending unit, selector valve and tank selector switch) There are wiring diagrams for the selector switches and valves. I would do a complete new fuel system wiring and not try to patch something in the existing harness. As RustyPile said get a factory service manual and wiring diagrams.
I have a 6 port

73LAGGY

Reaction score
First Name
levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
350 Small Block
Levi, with all due respect, that's a wiring project not for the inexperienced and faint of heart.. I've done a few of these... Added a second tank where none existed, repaired the wiring that some flake hacked into oblivion, and even installed the late model system on an early version.. My best suggestion is obtain a factory service manual and wiring diagrams.. The diagram will illustrate wire gauge, color coding, and component function..

Use the search function on this site, you'll probably find exactly what you need.
This was suppose to be a quick job… then I dropped the tank and started to realize something was wrong.

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
just going to put this up to compare - this is 81 and up.
You must be registered for see images attach

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
just going to put this up to compare - this is 81 and up.
You must be registered for see images attach
The '81 up design is a much better system. If it is within his skill set, I suggest 73LAGGY go this route. I've updated many pre'80s to this design.. Haven't done one in years.. Back then, the '81 up harness was available to do this, so it was "almost" a plug and play installation.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
I have a 6 port
Like RustyPile said go for the 81 and up setup and run a return line as you have a 6 port valve already.

greyghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
vic
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
ugly truck experience ...utuber has excellent video using relays n intank pumps ...updated parts, simple description for diy er

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe