Jump AC compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I appreciate. Is that for an 87....I note the different compressor. Mine is the little round I think A4 or is it R4. Anyway I didn't know if the wiring went through the computer at all or if it were separate and not part of that harness. Someone said to ground a wire on a relay or something but then it would stay engaged at WOT and if I understand I would have to add a throttle solenoid?
I really wanted this to stay a simple project but now I am swapping fuel system as well. I was going to just use the regulator to cut the pressure back for the carb. But Summit sent me (my mistake or theirs?) the wrong regulator without the bypass. Same number I had written down on my grocery list but my list said 12-803BP and they sent a 12-803....no bypass. So now I am switching out 6 way selector for a 3 way. An electric fuel pump wired through both a relay AND the oil pressure switch. I will cut that pigtail to wire it in properly as well as the relay. I will do this right if it kills me in the process. But I will post all info and all part numbers for reference. I bet it has been done but I be darn if I could find it! Thanks for the picture to at least give me some guidance on the harness.
and I would just use two 3 port solenoids since they are available and switch the return and send on each. if you wire a 1980 "delay" for the solenoids, you can save them from wearing as fast as pre 1980 ones did. @Bextreme04 I think was the one who shared a diagram of how that worked in our 1980s? I think!

eric 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Shortbed
Engine Size
305 tbi
and I would just use two 3 port solenoids since they are available and switch the return and send on each. if you wire a 1980 "delay" for the solenoids, you can save them from wearing as fast as pre 1980 ones did. @Bextreme04 I think was the one who shared a diagram of how that worked in our 1980s? I think!
Thanks for the help. I am not using a quad-jet. Bought all new stuff from summit. It is a Holley 600 street warrior I think. Thanksgiving night when ordering many parts were on back order and not shipping until mid January so I bought some things that maybe would have chosen different to get it done and here I am still working on it. I am down to just figuring out this fuel wiring tonight. Hope to have it up and driving tomorrow night but.....gremlins.

eric 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Shortbed
Engine Size
305 tbi
Thanks again on looking at 84 harness for AC. Will do. I will be sure to post what I do when I get it all done. I could have just waited for the correct pressure regulator like everyone uses and kept parts of the computer working and removed the SES light bulb on the dash since all the sensor/inputs were unplugged I am sure there would be some codes thrown. But as I had mentioned I am sort of taking it back to an earlier year in fuel/ AC and wiring since I do not want to have all the extra wire hanging around and maybe someone can use it better than I can. I will probably post all the TBI stuff for sale CHEAP for someone to use if they wish to use it. I actually think I found one of the TBI issues when dismantling. Maybe it would work better for someone else. Not anti technology just when it doesn't work and you replace every part and have a shop look through things as well and still it isn't right.
So I do appreciate this help with the AC. I am not a wide open throttle guy in my truck. My other ride maybe occasionally.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Thanks again on looking at 84 harness for AC. Will do. I will be sure to post what I do when I get it all done. I could have just waited for the correct pressure regulator like everyone uses and kept parts of the computer working and removed the SES light bulb on the dash since all the sensor/inputs were unplugged I am sure there would be some codes thrown. But as I had mentioned I am sort of taking it back to an earlier year in fuel/ AC and wiring since I do not want to have all the extra wire hanging around and maybe someone can use it better than I can. I will probably post all the TBI stuff for sale CHEAP for someone to use if they wish to use it. I actually think I found one of the TBI issues when dismantling. Maybe it would work better for someone else. Not anti technology just when it doesn't work and you replace every part and have a shop look through things as well and still it isn't right.
So I do appreciate this help with the AC. I am not a wide open throttle guy in my truck. My other ride maybe occasionally.
My f150 will eventually be in the same boat. not from terrible design, terrible results of the EFI.. its just simple parts desert of a 96 4.9 i6 unicorn stuff and then the wiring which seems to be like that good ol biodegradeable stuff the volvo/mercedez/bmw or whoever found wasnt so good idea.

If its not biodegradable ID SURE LIKE TO KNOW WHAT ITS DOING (cheap, old, insulation failing)

and I wont just follow the issues down endless holes. I will find a carb intake, some small parts to do the top end stuffs, air cleaner, and a GM HEI style distributor just to top it all off(screw the Duraspark 2... my god)

eric 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Shortbed
Engine Size
305 tbi
Well I bought my 98 F150 in 2000. I had to put in another 4.2 @ 148k miles. Wrist pins came out upon start up one cold morning. Did a factory replacement through ford dealer and put it in. Now that engine has about 150k miles on it and it now clatters like a 72 LTD. BUT I will say about Bessie....while I am working on this GMC and I need a truck for something or do not want to drive my 69 firebird for errands...the old ford fires up everytime and has never left me on the side of the road. That engine back in 2006 cost me 3100 WITH install since I traveled with work back then I had to have it done. I feel so bad getting rid of it I may not get rid of it. Costs me liability insurance. And who knows when it might be needed. That said I do not believe I need 3 vehicles of 2 are running good. I was thinking I could sell my old ford to some kid getting their license that doesn't have a bunch of money. May pull the valve covers and see what is going on first.
Get this...wife said....HEY would the 98 ford make a neat looking RAT ROD? I think I have someone catching the bug. I said sure a nice little 302 or something in it basic wiring with a trans controller if the sell them for ford overdrives. That may be the next project.

eric 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Shortbed
Engine Size
305 tbi
My f150 will eventually be in the same boat. not from terrible design, terrible results of the EFI.. its just simple parts desert of a 96 4.9 i6 unicorn stuff and then the wiring which seems to be like that good ol biodegradeable stuff the volvo/mercedez/bmw or whoever found wasnt so good idea.

If its not biodegradable ID SURE LIKE TO KNOW WHAT ITS DOING (cheap, old, insulation failing)

and I wont just follow the issues down endless holes. I will find a carb intake, some small parts to do the top end stuffs, air cleaner, and a GM HEI style distributor just to top it all off(screw the Duraspark 2... my god)
So there is bio wire coatings and it is a favorite of mice and other varmints. They have chewed on all my mowing equipment and the ford.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMC2224