Issues with being stood for a long time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jordi

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hey guys. New to the forum UK based and looking to buy a modified K10 6.2 diesel, 1983 model.

The issue? Its been sat in a warehouse and hasn’t even been started since 2012. I’ve had an quick inspection and overall its body condition seems good for its age. Minimal obvious rust, chassis all looks good.

What are the potential issues with it being sat so long? Major concerns once it’s had an initial check over that once started its going to leak oil from a multitude of perished seals top to bottom and front to back.

Do i walk away or for the right price take a risk?

Would you start it and see what it does? Or spend the time and money giving the motor an overhaul doing seals and gasket? Inspecting the bores and fit a new timing chain?

Any advice and info on potential pit falls greatly appreciated as i cannot test drive it or even hear it running.

Thanks
Jordi

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Check fluids for cross-contamination first. Also check clarity and give them a sniff to see if any are burnt or fuel washed, Then, if all is ok & full, fire it up, it'll be somewhat of a crapshoot if the seals are going to start hemorrhaging fluid. If it's been inside, it's had some type of climate protection. If the price is right, roll the dice!

Jordi

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Couple of poor picture, its just had loads of stuff piled up around it while it’s been sat. Its a very cool looking truck. The price has to be absolutely bang on for me to make the risk is worth it.

I’m waiting for more details about it as i know nothing about them.

Its diesel so presuming 6.2 detroit, no idea on gear box? What were the options with the diesel? Again axles, from what i’ve read could be chevy or could be Dana?

Attachments

• 11a751de-8407-492e-a0ee-eb507ad43d8d.jpeg
    11a751de-8407-492e-a0ee-eb507ad43d8d.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 30
  • 245bca4a-3cfa-4a9f-a5bc-2722cbe50bdd.jpeg
    245bca4a-3cfa-4a9f-a5bc-2722cbe50bdd.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 29

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Price it in dollars, pay for it in pounds sterling. You come out ahead, no? ;)

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
My biggest concern would be injector pump,or engine locked up from sitting . If it's priced right to where you can afford to fix it in a worst case scenerio,than buy it. I think it's a good looking truck even if I had to rebuild the engine and transmission,I'd buy it if it was priced accordingly. If I bought it I wouldn't just assume it needed rebuilding,I try to get it running and evaluate it from that point as to what it needs. But buy it assuming you're going to have spend a bunch money on it.

Jordi

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
My biggest concern would be injector pump,or engine locked up from sitting . If it's priced right to where you can afford to fix it in a worst case scenerio,than buy it. I think it's a good looking truck even if I had to rebuild the engine and transmission,I'd buy it if it was priced accordingly. If I bought it I wouldn't just assume it needed rebuilding,I try to get it running and evaluate it from that point as to what it needs. But buy it assuming you're going to have spend a bunch money on it.
Thats my aim. In the UK i can get a drive away C10 for £8000 to £20,000, all seem in decent condition. The £20k motors are modded, tuned, fully restored (K10s seem a bit rarer).

I’d like to get this for less than £5k under the presumption it may need a moto rebuild and definitely needs tyres.

See what come of the talks.

vr1967

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Virgil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
6.2L turbo
My 84 sat for 9 years without being cranked. I put 2 batteries in it and drove it home. Didn’t take long for me to get the old 6.2 going.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef