Bought an '87 long bed on Bring a Trailer a few days ago

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
I hope it drives and trucks as good as it looks.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome, you did fine. I read BAT every single day and think I remember seeing this one. I check out every Squarebody looking at the picture to help restore my 87 V10 short box with the 4 speed. I paid top dollar for mine from a small dealer a year and a half ago. I paid way too much and I have invested so much money and my time since then. Better to get one done or buy a low mileage one like you did. I would have done better if I spent 50K for a done one. I have over 40K in mine with parts and other shops work and I have hundreds of hours of my labor into it as well. And it's only half done. It's worth is probably 25-28K. But I'm enjoying restoring it.
It sure is tough finding that balance between what you buy and for how much and how much you spend after the fact.
Like many I was very particular in what we bought. Mostly from a cost after the sale for parts AND time required.
I wasn’t going for a new off the showroom finished product. Which helps considerably. Pretty sure I could spend 3x the money tomorrow to make it 30% better at the end of the day if that was the plan.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Carfax is a joke really. Yeah it's useful to see things in the vehicles' history, but that's only IF it was reported. And that's a really big IF. There's a lot of cars and trucks out there with a "clean" history, but would have been totalled if they weren't repaired privately.
^This. It’s good adjectival info for the uninformed on a newer vehicle.
But in the context of this thread and older vehicles as a whole, it’s useless. As is reported “mileage”. Every state I’ve ever lived in after 20-25 years max, they don’t even put miles on the title. You’re better off learning what a low mile vehicle looks like than relying on any report or title.

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Welcome :)
Beautiful truck! Low mileage vehicles, especially trucks always puzzle me, how did it happen that someone bought it and almost doesn't use it?

donnieray

Talks to dogs and trucks.
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
86 C10, 84 K10 MM7 NP833 option truck, 85 K10.
Engine Size
350,355;350.
Congrats! Very nice and with the seldom seen New Process 833 transmission. A rare option.

87longsquare

Reaction score
First Name
allan
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado 1500
Engine Size
tried a few times and getting"oops! We ran into some problems. You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action"

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
^This. It’s good adjectival info for the uninformed on a newer vehicle.
But in the context of this thread and older vehicles as a whole, it’s useless. As is reported “mileage”. Every state I’ve ever lived in after 20-25 years max, they don’t even put miles on the title. You’re better off learning what a low mile vehicle looks like than relying on any report or title.

Things can be missing from a late model car's history as well. When I was at the shop, I repaired quite a few cars that would have been totalled if they had went through an insurance claim. But they did not, so they retained their "clean" history.

That reminds me of a funny story. We had a customer with an '02 Accord (this was around '04 I think) and they wrecked it HARD. They hadn't paid their insurance or something and had no coverage, so my boss bought the car from them and we repaired it. My boss had it for a few years and ended up selling it to another customer of ours. We of course made them aware that the car had been in a bad wreck previously. They happily bought the car and then about a week later it got totalled, lol.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^Agree, plenty of maint, repairs etc never make the Carfax. It’s less of a good tool a more of a money grab imo.
But it provides some info and apparently some peace of mind to those who use it.

Bloodhound1981

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size

87longsquare

Reaction score
First Name
allan
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado 1500
Engine Size
@Bloodhound1981
thanks! I tried link a few times and even had my (much) more computer literate kid try...still wont allow me to see it

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Just DAMN. That truck is NASTY!!!! I never liked those wheels
on the blazers. They make the Fleetside Look KICK A$$. I love. it.
Now I want those wheels for my C10 WTF LMMFAO
You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1