yep - finally got one! 87 V10 - long bed - 350 - auto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwernatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
5.7ltr
I just picked up an '87 V10 long bed. 160k miles - clean and rust free. With exception of a/c evaporator and water pump its stock as you get.

Unbelievable clean and original. Every bolt and nut seems to be original.

Only a few issues found...

1. I blew out the heater core on the 2hr ride home. I bypassed it and kept on rolling. Think i should repalce the radiator too?

2. The window motors are sloooww.

3. When I drop the transmission in drive, the trans sorta clunks (sorta). Shoild i service trans? Help?

4. In reverse, if I turn sharp on pavement- it effects or seems to tax the engine. Its like the transfer case is not clutching correctly and since the rpms are low it stressing the engine. Make sense? Maybe just a tcase fluid flush replace?

5. Oh yea, it needs tires they're hard! 10 to 15 yrs old? Maybe shocks too, they look original.

See i told ya, its perfect!

Thanks all - i look forward to meeting everyone!

John

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Howdy!

If the radiator looks ok in and out, I'd run it.

Cleaning and lubing the window tracks and rollers will help a bunch. The window motors may be weak. If taking care of that isn't fast enough, you can use relays to power the window motors.

The clunk is probably just the usual clunk heard in an older car or truck, but it doesn't hurt to check the u-joints and trans mount for slop.

The reverse thing is probably normal. If you go to full lock in either direction, it puts a heavy load on the power steering pump, which puts more load on the engine. Add to that, the tires scrub a lot when turned sharp and reverse is a taller gear ratio than first gear.

Jwernatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
5.7ltr
I was trying, i uploaded them to Dropbox- it starts to pull them from there and gives me an error message....grrr...

Jwernatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
5.7ltr
Howdy!

Cleaning and lubing the window tracks and rollers will help a bunch. The window motors may be weak. If taking care of that isn't fast enough, you can use relays to power the window motors.

The clunk is probably just the usual clunk heard in an older car or truck, but it doesn't hurt to check the u-joints and trans mount for slop.

The reverse thing is probably normal. If you go to full lock in either direction, it puts a heavy load on the power steering pump, which puts more load on the engine. Add to that, the tires scrub a lot when turned sharp and reverse is a taller gear ratio than first gear.

Kinda what i was figuring on the trans 'clunk', i'll put a few miles on her.

I think ill swap the rad tho, its a pain, but im in the mood. [No actually im not)

As far as the reverse t-case isssue - whats it take to service it? Im sure its never been done. Is it that involved?

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
I was trying, i uploaded them to Dropbox- it starts to pull them from there and gives me an error message....grrr...
What? Use the upload a file button. It's the red middle rectangle option between post reply and more options... Picture loaded and fun times had by all. ;)

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Definitely check universal joints and trans mount, but also don’t misconstrue a trans clunk for rear end rotational slop and pinion slop. I’d look out for that, listen for an audible ‘woo’ sound coming from the rear while coasting in like third or OD, see if there’s back/forth and side/side play in the yoke on the pumpkin side, and you could even inspect the wear pattern in the gears and service the rear end if you wanted.

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome from the Buckeye State. The transfer case just transfers power, it does not " clutch".

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Dear John,

LoL..

#1= no. You cant buy one as tough as The General installed. Replacing brass with plastic is not an improvement.
:imo:

#2=pull the door panels off and clean + lube the tracks like dude suggested. Reassemble.

#3=replace the u-joints. Service trans? No. That's asking for trouble. If you must add fluid Dextron 6 has replaced Dextron 3. You could drop the pan to change the filter but I wouldn't unless you had to. Recent regular driving will do enough to expose the weak links. Bide your time and use it to save money ather than plan modifications.

#4= not abnormal when new.

Re: servicing the transfer case.
Very unlike servicing the transmission because no filter involved. Open the fill plug FIRST and then open drain plug. Refill until fluid comes out -like a differential. I dont remember what to use...

#5= 255/70 for the win.

In closing :pics-stfu:

:Rant:

Babs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet CUCV
Engine Size
:welcome:

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Welcome aboard. Lets see the truck!

I second Rusty on the radiator. If you are worried about the rad then have it flushed out then rent a pressure tester and test it out yourself. If it passes use it. If it fails, get it fixed.

Heater core is a bit of a job but not as bad as new cars. Mine is currently bypassed, but I barely drive it so that doesnt count lol.

Windows, disassemble and lube. See how you like it. If you still want mo fasta then do the relay mod. Its fairly simple. 2 SPDT relays per motor. One for up and one for down. The relays will mount behind the door panel.
85 - Signal from the window switch
30 - Window motor
87A & 86 - Ground
87 - 12v source. Battery would be best, fused.

https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/power-window-relay-mod-on-rear-window.10028/

Driveline clunk, as mentioned. Check U joints and tranny mount. Wouldnt hurt to do the engine mounts at the same time if you do the trans mount.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Howdy!

What he said !!!! And I'll add, there is a Relay bypass thread on here somewhere to where you wire your power windowns through relays instead of the factory wiring so they're getting full power instead of being robbed of power through the long harness. Provided you've cleaned up and lubed your tracks first, I hear you can win power window races after you do the Relay wiring hack. We used to have a guy here that could help out with that wiring harness for the windows but it appears he's had some issues with long delays, lack of communication and just short of taking people for a ride with their cash. So ask before you send someone money.

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome

Forum statistics

Threads