Installs to do before windshield?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bwagner130

Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 suburban
Engine Size
Hello all,
I recently acquired an ‘83 suburban 6.2.
The previous owners had torn the inside apart, and I was wondering if there’s anything in my dash or instrument cluster or dash trim or anything at all that would be a lot easier to deal with now before I install the windshield? Just trying to make my life a little easier, as this is a lot bigger of a project than I’ve tackled before.
Thank You!

Attachments

• IMG_9898.jpeg
    IMG_9898.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 31

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I tore my dash apart, cleaned the duct work, rewired a few things, rebuilt/replaced the radio cutout, installed new dash speakers, refurbished cluster, & installed a new pad with the windshield in. It was all easily done.

mxer147

83 K20, 350 vortec, 465, 208, 14/10, 4.10, 33s
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Be sure the windshield mating surface is 100% solid and sealable. If you plan to paint and are doing a color change, paint now and it will be much cleaner than taping the windshield later. Those floorboards are toast, hopefully you will fix where the water entered, especially if it was from the windshield seal or cowl area.

rwjtexas

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
Mine went to Paint and I brought it home to do the interior without the windsheild. For me it was super easy being able to work both sides if you will and be able to install all trim, dashpad, cluster, speakers, HVAC ducts and vents.and chase wires.

The one issue I had was installing the windshield gasket on the Pinch Weld we had to remove the headliner support bar going across the front to get the gasket to go on tight ... then once the windshield was installed we reinstalled the headliner support bar.

My work was done in the garage, so I did not have to worr about the elements or a lot of dust so it was able to keep clean.

If I had to do it again, I would do all the work first then install the windshield.

I did strip out everything with the windshield in place so I know going back it definitely an option with it installed ... The value is being able to have a fan circulate air on you when you work.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Some things are easier to do without the windhield but none of them can't be done after it's installed.

Jeff Lewis

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Derust anything under window seal and rust inhib. Do not buy seal from anyone other than Steele Rubber Products. Do not use any metal pry tools.

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
Derust anything under window seal and rust inhib. Do not buy seal from anyone other than Steele Rubber Products. Do not use any metal pry tools.
I bought a gasket from somebody other than Steele and it was no good. The windshield guy had his own that he was able to rope in. Did it in just a few minutes. No water leaks at all.

J.B.

saltdog

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Suburban
Engine Size

Forum statistics