Steering slop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brysonsproject

Reaction score
First Name
Bryson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K20
Engine Size
Ok so I just finished putting in a new red head steering gear, tie rod, drag link, power steering pump on my 78 K20. The slop in the wheel was pretty bad before, and I think it’s better now? But it’s still nowhere near as good as a modern car. Wondering if that’s just always how it’s gonna be with an old truck. I’ve heard of adjusting steering boxes but I’m kind of nervous to because I don’t want to mess it up. Also, the reason I replaced he power steering pump was because of a loud buzzing sound (I think it’s pretty common for an old pump). After installing the new one, it doesn’t buzz around corners or anything but it still will buzz if I turn the wheels when stationary (just tried that as a test to see if it would). I have 33x12.5x16.5s so is that buzzing when stationary just because the contact patch is so much bigger than the stock tires would have been so there’s a lot more resistance? Would I have to get. More powerful power steering pump to eliminate that buzzing completely with the bigger than stock tires?

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
With truck on ground and a helper move steering wheel left and right enough to take up the slop. If any linkage is loose should be able to see it. Then jack up each corner and with a long bar push up on the tire to check for loose ball joints. Also old and different types of tires will have a great effect on steering.

If tight get an alignment. Make sure the caster isn't low and it has enough toe in.

No, it will never drive like a new vehicle.

DO NOT adjust the box. Red head is a good product and warranty is voided.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I have a new redhead box and all my joints are tight... no slop in my steering at all. It drives down the road with zero wandering now and is pretty similar in tightness to my 2011 Suburban. Like others have said, you likely have something still loose. Did you put a new steering stabilizer on it too? Have you done the jeep steering rod upgrade?

Brysonsproject

Reaction score
First Name
Bryson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K20
Engine Size
What is the Jeep steering rod upgrade? I know my passenger upper ball joint is junk but can that cause play in the steering? Also I’ve turned the steering wheel when it’s jacked up and there’s still some delay before I see the wheels turn, so I’m pretty sure the old tires aren’t causing the problem (at least not entirely). I have not put a steering stabilizer on. Goes down the road straight and smooth though. Would a steering stabilizer do nothing about the slop?

Last edited:

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Check the frame for cracks around/behind the steering gear box.
Unfortunately cracked frame around the gear box is common with Squares especially when running with bigger wheels/tires. There are reinforcement kits you can buy for this. A brace that bolts/welds on.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
What is the Jeep steering rod upgrade? I know my passenger upper ball joint is junk but can that cause play in the steering? Also I’ve turned the steering wheel when it’s jacked up and there’s still some delay before I see the wheels turn, so I’m pretty sure the old tires aren’t causing the problem (at least not entirely). I have not put a steering stabilizer on. Goes down the road straight and smooth though. Would a steering stabilizer do nothing about the slop?
The jeep steering shaft replaces the rag joint with a steering shaft with u joints,yes a ball joint can cause sloppy steering. No a steering stabilizer will not help with steering slop. You need to have someone saw the steering wheel back and forth while you lay under the truck and watch and watch under the hood for what moves, and what doesn't move at the same time,as well as what moves in an odd or jerky motion. Having weight on the tires while doing this makes sloppy steering components obvious.

Last edited:

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
I have a new redhead box and all my joints are tight... no slop in my steering at all. It drives down the road with zero wandering now and is pretty similar in tightness to my 2011 Suburban. Like others have said, you likely have something still loose. Did you put a new steering stabilizer on it too? Have you done the jeep steering rod upgrade?
Jeep steering rod updgrade question why only 77 and up years, what is different that it's not applicable to all years?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Jeep steering rod updgrade question why only 77 and up years, what is different that it's not applicable to all years?
I don't think it is only 77-up. The input on the steering box is different, but should still be able to make it work.

The lack of a steering stabilizer(or a completely blown out one) will absolutely make the steering feel loose while driving. A bad ball joint will also make it loose.

If you are noticing that there is a big delay between starting to turn the steering wheel and when you see the drivers wheel start to turn, it narrows the problem down to the steering shaft, pitman arm, drag link, steering arm, drivers side ball joints, or front axle u-bolts being loose or worn out.

Like others have said, the easiest way to figure out what is loose/worn out is to have it running and on the ground while someone turns the wheel back and forth and you look at the steering components.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Okay. If you turn the steering wheel,but the wheels do not turn in synch with the steering wheel. something has excessive play your problem is not a steering stabilizer problem

Rumbledawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crewcab
Engine Size
did you lift it to fit 33's?
a dropped pitman or raised steering arm will get your draglink level and keep your geometry right.
would check the pitman, drag link, steering arm, tie rod ends, ball joints for slop and as mentioned, the rag joint.
i too run a redhead with 38's and it steers with one finger. doubt it's your box.
if you can find a 1 ton, they come with a factory steering brace that bolts on with no mods needed...although if your frame is cracked you will need to address that first.
weird you get a "buzzing", even when i got my 42's on, it makes no noise-moving or stationary

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
That noise you hear is likely the pump aerating the fluid. Take the truck for a drive. Attempt to induce the “buzzing” sound. Take it lock to lock while sitting still and any other event that you described hearing that noise. Shut the truck off and quickly, but cautiously take a peek in your PS pump reservoir. If you see bubbles, it’s frothing the fluid and you’ve found your sound.

What type of fluid are you running?

Brysonsproject

Reaction score
First Name
Bryson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K20
Engine Size
The jeep steering shaft replaces the rag joint with a steering shaft with u joints,yes a ball joint can cause sloppy steering. No a steering stabilizer will not help with steering slop. You need to have someone saw the steering wheel back and forth while you lay under the truck and watch and watch under the hood for what moves, and what doesn't move at the same time,as well as what moves in an odd or jerky motion. Having weight on the tires while doing this makes sloppy steering components obvious.
Ah, so do this without jacking it. Thank you.!

Brysonsproject

Reaction score
First Name
Bryson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K20
Engine Size
That noise you hear is likely the pump aerating the fluid. Take the truck for a drive. Attempt to induce the “buzzing” sound. Take it lock to lock while sitting still and any other event that you described hearing that noise. Shut the truck off and quickly, but cautiously take a peek in your PS pump reservoir. If you see bubbles, it’s frothing the fluid and you’ve found your sound.

What type of fluid are you running?
I don’t think I can take it lock to lock when I’m not moving. There’s just a lot of buzzing and resistance. But if I’m moving at all it will turn just find. It’s a new pump and I bled it manually and with a vacuum (only once though, maybe I need to do it more). I just put in shop pro PS fluid. I was told the brand of fluid didn’t matter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad