installing aftermarket radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hey guys i have a 200 w radio head that i bought from pepboys a few years ago and i barly used it so its like new.

My question i am looking for very detailed instructions on how to cut the dash for the radio and how to securee it to the dash.

I'm so nervous to cut into my dash so lots and lots of pics and very detiaeld instructions would be great.

and a wiring diagram too please!!!

Liam

X-cabsquarebody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
80, 80, 87, 91
Truck Model
C10, C10 ,K30 , 3500
Engine Size
305 TPI, 454, 8.1
I wanted to see my radio, so I mounted it a little higher.

You must be registered for see images attach

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
usually you take the small cage/ring thing that comes with it, use it as a template to mark the plastic and the metal, cut them out, dremel or cut off tool, jigsaw whatever, even snips on the metal part.

you can cut and fold the dash back or completel cut it off.

trim the plastic, insert the cage into the plastic, bend some of the tabs down to hold it in place, or wait until it's sinatlled then bend tabs down, that makes it harder to remove later though, if you'd ever need to, you'd have to get in and bend the tabs to remove the plastic.

now for the wiring, best thing is to look online and find a wiring diagram with color codes, I forget them right off, you'll need a switch hot, constant hot, and ground, ground can be anywhere on the metal dash, or elsewhere, or find a factory ground, hots can be from factory or fro fuse box or directly to a junction block or battery for constant hot only.

then you need speaker wires, most only have the center speaker which means it only wires to one side which is kinda weird, I usually add other speakers, and wire them instead.

lmc has a dual speaker center now.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I just did this recently modifying the plastic bezel wasn't too bad. But, enlarging the actual steel dash behind it and fabricating a support bracket was tough, much more labor intensive.

The trim ring on the head unit is the limiting dimension - it just barely fits in the recessed area. You need to get the lower right hand corner as tight to the bezel border as possible. When you get it positioned scribe the inside of the opening. You only want the opening to be as big as the actual head unit - the sleeve goes behind the bezel and gets bracketed to the dash frame.

On the bezel, I drilled the 4 corners and used a jig saw with a metal cutting blade to make the rough opening. Dial it in with a lot of filing.

The steel dash opening needs to be enlarged as well. I used an air powered high speed cut-off tool. Don't completely detach the pieces you cut out. Leave the bottom connected and bend it back in towards the fire wall - it helps support the head unit sleeve.

Here are some images of how close the fit is:

7d7c10

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
LT1 350
I ordered a Metra 87-99-3052 installation kit off Ebay for mine. Very simple to install with this kit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD