Inline 6 devac

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
If your EFE valve still worked, I would route a lone manifold vacuum line to the TVS, and a lone vacuum line from the TVS to the EFE valve. It is just a fancy heat riser and will help with warm up.
The only caveat is if it is one of those ridiculously high temp (170F+) ones that stays on too long. You can look them up and see the temp. It is also on the coolant port side of the TVS.

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Actually, this engine family (194, 230, 250, 292) was all new for 1963 (and a lot lighter), and shares design elements with the SBC.
The old Chevy 6 continued for decades in Brazil.
I rebuilt a 1941 Chevy truck with a 235- six. It was very similar. In working on this 6, I found changes all the way through the life of the Stovebolt. It always had major changes every few years. Yes, it changed in 63, but also in 29, 36, 39, 47 and 87, with the integral head. So changes were a regular thing. Like the Small block 8, The stove bolt changed regularly. I was only referring to the general inline 6 that was used for many years, in many forms.. Like the small block, big bloc. etc.

With the emissions vacuum surgery, I'm going to make things work and your comments on the circuit are helpful and will be incorporated.

Attachments

• bryanmyers41 chevy pu - 1 of 2.jpeg
    bryanmyers41 chevy pu - 1 of 2.jpeg
    164.4 KB · Views: 26
  • bryanmyers41 chevy pu - 2 of 2.jpeg
    bryanmyers41 chevy pu - 2 of 2.jpeg
    145.4 KB · Views: 26

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If your EFE valve still worked, I would route a lone manifold vacuum line to the TVS, and a lone vacuum line from the TVS to the EFE valve. It is just a fancy heat riser and will help with warm up.
The only caveat is if it is one of those ridiculously high temp (170F+) ones that stays on too long. You can look them up and see the temp. It is also on the coolant port side of the TVS.
I think I need at least one "TVS", that has a broken off port. How do I identify these and where can you get them? The blue one is broken, the orange may be OK, but probably replace at the same time.. If we can get em. I have confirmed the EFE valve does work.

Attachments

• TVS?.jpeg
    TVS?.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 29

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I think I need at least one "TVS", that has a broken off port. How do I identify these and where can you get them? The blue one is broken, the orange may be OK, but probably replace at the same time.. If we can get em. I have confirmed the EFE valve does work.
I think there identified by color but im not 100% Do you have the broken pieces? They usually break clean. I've super glued them before, might work till you can find a replacement.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
It appears they have become rather obsolete. The only one I can readily find is Corvette at $30+ dollars. NAPA was my go to finding them in the past, looking for temp (which is usually marked on them) and thread pitch.
I did find a good pic that shows how to plumb an EFE specific or any 3 port TVS, leaving the bottom port open to the atmosphere.
You must be registered for see images attach

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have found a new one of those and ordered it. Ebay. The other orange unit I cannot find. yet. It is in good condition and who knows, it may work. If its not bypassed by my changes.

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Engine ready for start after... lots. The only vacuum hose is to the vacuum advance, straight from carburetor. Will be adding a few more systems, but haven't started the engine yet, and a lot of dialing in to do. Nothing hooked to any ported vac switches. Will get the engine started and then start installing rest of stuff. if needed

Attachments

• Library - 3 of 3 (4).jpeg
    Library - 3 of 3 (4).jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 26
  • Library - 2 of 3 (4).jpeg
    Library - 2 of 3 (4).jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 31
  • Library - 1 of 3 (4).jpeg
    Library - 1 of 3 (4).jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 28

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Started right up after priming the carb. OK, so I cheated by rebuilding the carb, setting valves, retiming the engine, but, with only a vacuum advance hooked up, and the stock air cleaner. Nothing going to any of the 4 Ported vacuum switches and all the junk removed from the valve cover. Engine runs better than fine (the other mods I did probably). Here is a picture of the back of the carb. Of the 4 ports I only have 2 hooked up, The advance and the secondary vacuum break. The other two for now are disconnected. and plugged. I'm gonna get the charcoal canister working properly, and the manifold preheat (what's gm call it?). Will upload diagram soon. Probably write this up in its own thread, someday.

Attachments

• All Photos - 1 of 1 (8).jpeg
    All Photos - 1 of 1 (8).jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 32
  • This is where hoses used to be.jpeg
    This is where hoses used to be.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 24

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee