Ignition Switch Gears Dorman Help 83211 Ignition Switch Rack Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
FYI, Anyone needing just the gears, O'Reilly's seems to be the only one that sells just this small $10 Kit. Advance and Auto Zone want to sell a column repair kit to get these parts and it's $66 to $77 depending on where you go.

Dorman Help Part # 83211.

Attachments

• Dorman83211-003.jpg
    Dorman83211-003.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 167

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Anyone interested in doing a write up on how deep you have to get into to the column to do these parts swap? I'm about to have to do it for a buddy. HOPEFULLY. Working, Working, Working, won't have time for pics and all that, and the cold weather. Not getting around good myself at the moment.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I bought that kit for my column but never ended up tearing it down far enough to replace. Still have the kit on the shelf. I fixed the problem when column got replaced.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
When I had to tighten the tilt bolts on the column in my '88, I recall having them in my hands during the re-assembly.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yeah Hotrod I am pretty sure you have to have the center housing section that holds the turn signal switch unbolted and slid back to access those parts. Since you will be that deep into it it may not hurt to loc-tite and tighten this famous column bolts. Use some transmission assembly lube to hold those parts in place during reassembly. Or petroleum jelly.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I haven't done much research on this as of yet. I've got it about 80% apart so far, been working my ass off. So today, even though it's snowing and I'm missing a **** ton of work, gave the truck to bossman and I just have to get this guy fixed up. He's missing a leg and on very limited income, and THINKS he can only get into his truck with his wheelchair, and he won't even ride in my tow truck saying he can't get in it. At any rate, it's a mercy so I'm hoping to get it done today. It weighs heavy on my mind and I want it DONE. He's a good guy been a Squarebody guy his whole life, just old school and don't do internet.

So in the meantime, if anyone has a good diagram exploit to post here and save me some research time, I'd sure appreciate it. I'm taking my laptop to his house and will Hot Spot off my phone to get online.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
The 78 light duty service manual has a step by step in it if you can find it in the archive..... I don't have access to a scanner right now.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I need the 84 and later. I'm familiar with the 83 down, but I'm finding the 84 with the multifunction switch is quite a bit different. I'm here working on it now. I'm down to the plastic collar is loose, the turn signal switch is loose, but now I"m hung up right there. Gotta find out how or where to disconnect the turn signal so I can get it to slide out and get the plastic housing slid off.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
All of the service manuals have pretty decent procedures.
The parts illustration books will have complete blowups.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
All of the service manuals have pretty decent procedures.
The parts illustration books will have complete blowups.

That's what I was hoping to get links for. I'm at this guys house doing this job. He's an old school guy, no internet, so I'm having to Hot Spot my phone will sloowwww data to my laptop to search and find info. I think I've about got it though.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So after talking to 89Suburban yesterday, a couple tid bits I found in searching, I pretty much had it all figured out in my head. Nothing but ******** after that. I ended up buying the Pivot Pin tool for $10 at O'Reilly's. Put the bitch in all the way to get all the threads in it. Turned the puller nut 1.5 times SNAP !!! The damn bitch ass tool broke off in the pivot pin. Needless to say, drilling, tapping, blah blah, I'm still at getting the pivot pins removed. I really wanted this guy just to let me tow his fukn truck to MY DRIVEWAY. He doesn't have ****, so everytime I need a little bolt, or a tool, or drill motor, drill bit, I have to go all the way back to my house about 8 miles on surface streets, to dig for it or get it, or run about 5 miles to Lowes, or 3 miles to O'Reilly's. It's made the job a nightmare so far.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Sounds like pulling the column and taking it home would have been an option given the time spent running all over for every little thing.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
That's what I was hoping to get links for. I'm at this guys house doing this job. He's an old school guy, no internet, so I'm having to Hot Spot my phone will sloowwww data to my laptop to search and find info. I think I've about got it though.

Look at the bottom of my post. There are three links to my post threads or look in the forum library I posted them all there... :yawn:

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So, I've been trying to get the pivot pins for enough hours I'm about to give up on them. Everything I"ve put in them snaps off, then I have to drill and tap and drill and tap. About ready to burn a Squarebody to the ground. Sooooooooo, At this point, I"m about to swap in the steering column which I really wanted, from the 91 Suburban. Anyone happen to know if there any differences in the 84-91 columns? Will all the plugs line up and such?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DucatiDave