Ignition Switch Gears Dorman Help 83211 Ignition Switch Rack Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
So, I've been trying to get the pivot pins for enough hours I'm about to give up on them. Everything I"ve put in them snaps off, then I have to drill and tap and drill and tap. About ready to burn a Squarebody to the ground. Sooooooooo, At this point, I"m about to swap in the steering column which I really wanted, from the 91 Suburban. Anyone happen to know if there any differences in the 84-91 columns? Will all the plugs line up and such?
As long as your 1991 is an RV chassis.
The harmonica plug will line up.
After 1985 the wiper and dimmmer will mate up. Not sure about 1984.
Do the Jeep YJ steering shaft upgrade and you won't need to worry about the steering shaft.

If it's from a GMT400 CK chassis I'm not sure.

Sent from my SM-P605V using Tapatalk

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Here's where I'm at. Can't get those fuggin Pivot Pins out. Not sure wth they're made of, but even brand new titanium bits won't even cut it. Worked the bit real slow to hope it would grab and cut but no dice.

Attachments

• 84C10Column 002.jpg
    84C10Column 002.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 136

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
You are probably going to need carbide bits. Are you attempting to drill the pins or the broken tool part left in there

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
On the column swap, i put 91 in my 85 and everything lined up.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Hope I helped over the phone HR. I'm there for you but I charge $25 a phone call for emotional and technical support LOL. :popcorn:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Hope I helped over the phone HR. I'm there for you but I charge $25 a phone call for emotional and technical support LOL. :popcorn:

I called last night. I only let it ring twice and hung up after I was reading this while calling you. :happy175:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So more drilling, breaking off taps and ********. Both plugs with bolts or taps broke off inside, said, F This, there has to be another way !!! Started looking through the bottom. Long story short. Got a long punch, had just enough, I mean just enough room to get a good solid angle hit on the left side plug and got it by pounding it out through the bottom of the column. Right side plug, no dice. Then after further thinking outside the box. I realized if I turn the front wheels and move the knuckle where the 2 shafts join, I'd gain an 1/8 inch. So I jacked up the front wheels, turned them to get the knuckle to move. BAMM !!! Knocked that one out too from the bottom.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sooooooooo, Now I've got it all back together up the part where I'm putting the spring, cancelling cam/horn plastic and lock plate on. It won't seat deep enough to get the snap ring on. I found that the piece that goes into the bearing race isn't cooperating and I can't seem to get it in where it goes taking up valuable space. I sure don't want to pull it back apart. Turn signlas, wipers, ignition cylinder, rack, sector, hi beams, all that **** is working great. Ignition is now smooth as glass and the guy said it was stiff and had to turn the real deep to get it to start. Not now. He says it feels like brand new. Well ****, it should be, it's all brand new. Replaced the Rack, the Sector and spring, and the ignition even though it was fine. He wanted it replaced too since he only had 1 key and it's wore down.

So what's up with that piece @89Suburban? You know you have the bearing race that you push down in the bearing, that goes fine. I just can't get the other piece to fit inside it now.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Sooooooooo, Now I've got it all back together up the part where I'm putting the spring, cancelling cam/horn plastic and lock plate on. It won't seat deep enough to get the snap ring on. I found that the piece that goes into the bearing race isn't cooperating and I can't seem to get it in where it goes taking up valuable space. I sure don't want to pull it back apart. Turn signlas, wipers, ignition cylinder, rack, sector, hi beams, all that **** is working great. Ignition is now smooth as glass and the guy said it was stiff and had to turn the real deep to get it to start. Not now. He says it feels like brand new. Well ****, it should be, it's all brand new. Replaced the Rack, the Sector and spring, and the ignition even though it was fine. He wanted it replaced too since he only had 1 key and it's wore down.

So what's up with that piece @89Suburban? You know you have the bearing race that you push down in the bearing, that goes fine. I just can't get the other piece to fit inside it now.

Sorry HR, I almost bought the farm on the boat last night. Felt like summer last night so I took it out because I been stuck inside for days. Then a cold front blew through like a hurricane while I was out there. 40 MPH winds came howling down the river and blinding snow and temps dropping like a rock in minutes. I had to ride it out and keep it pointed into the wind and waves for about an hour. I was certain if the boat turned sideways it was going to flip over. It would have been a waste to head back to the dock because there was no way to tie the boat to the dock and not loose it or get damaged from it slamming into it from the wind and waves. I just about **** my britches. Boat and I had a layer of snow and ice on it when I got back to the dock.Then there was trying to get it out and loaded on the trailer without slipping and falling and breaking my neck. Then driving home in those conditions. I jumped in bed under my covers and passed out LOL.

You did GREAT figuring a way to get those pins out man, proud of ya! That is actually a new trick that you can be proud to post in here for the site and draw some traffic! REPS added!

As far as that bearing and race I know they have to be put in a certain way but I can't remember how off hand. It should be in my video being taken apart to reference. I am at work so my hands are tied right now.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Damn Dude !!! So you almost became Gilligan? :happy175: Glad you made it back in off the water. I'm sure you did shitcher pants. I know I woulda !!!

I got it finished before noon today. We had a 60 degree day and I went over there early and had it done in an hour or so. It was nice and sunny, so I rolled it outside in the driveway in the sunlight and could then see what was wrong. The old guy had closed the fingers on that spacer thinking they go inside the race. No, it's open them up so they can go around the steering shaft. All together and working just fine now. Finally close that fukn chapter.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Damn Dude !!! So you almost became Gilligan? :happy175: Glad you made it back in off the water. I'm sure you did shitcher pants. I know I woulda !!!

I got it finished before noon today. We had a 60 degree day and I went over there early and had it done in an hour or so. It was nice and sunny, so I rolled it outside in the driveway in the sunlight and could then see what was wrong. The old guy had closed the fingers on that spacer thinking they go inside the race. No, it's open them up so they can go around the steering shaft. All together and working just fine now. Finally close that fukn chapter.

Finally! Good job!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshinIT