i want to trade anybody can help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
well since i got my bills paid ( sold my dog box and deer stand).

i wanting to trade for a small truck it has to manual
it has to run drive and stop I don't care if it is rusty or junky looking.

i would willing to pay cash with trade i just want a smaller truck.my truck is running and driving the fuel pump relay was bad.

or someone can buy mine straight out for 500$

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I'd sell you my Dime, but, I think I want much more than you're willing to spend and it has got an automatic under the hood.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
well since i got my bills paid ( sold my dog box and deer stand).

i wanting to trade for a small truck it has to manual
it has to run drive and stop I don't care if it is rusty or junky looking.

i would willing to pay cash with trade i just want a smaller truck.my truck is running and driving the fuel pump relay was bad.

or someone can buy mine straight out for 500$

You should be able to find what you're looking for all day long on Craigslist, man. Why exactly are you wanting a smaller truck? For gas mileage? If that's the case I'd be very careful about that because smaller doesn't always equal better gas mileage. Back in 2003 I had a 2002 GMC Sierra ECSB that I'd bought brand new the year before. Well, I got the wild hair that I wanted to trade it in on something smaller to get better gas mileage so I went and got a brand new 2003 Chevy Blazer Xtreme. It was definitely smaller but it got almost identical gas mileage no matter how I drove it. That was by far the worst move I'd made with a vehicle due to the reason I traded in the first place never really came about no matter what the MPG estimate sticker said. I should have just kept my Sierra even if it was bigger.

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I've been researching the hell out of fuel consumption lately because, I, too, have been wanting a truck with better fuel economy. I had planned to hold on to my Sierra and pick up another truck for fuel mileage. I figured when I need the extra power, I have the "real truck" at home.

What I've found is that if I have ANY hope of getting better fuel economy than what my 5.3/4L60E with 4WD offers is that I have to step all the way down to a 4 cylinder with a 5 speed and 2WD. Even then, it would likely have to be dropped and running on small tires. The BEST fuel economy I could find for a small truck was 25MPG highway.

There are only two trucks that MIGHT do better than that. The first is Ford's new 3.5L Ecoboost V6 with factory twin turbos. (365HP @ 5,000RPM & 420ft/lbs @ 2,500RPM). Fuel consumption guidelines, as best as I can tell, have not yet been introduced. However, a base model starts at $22,400.

The other possibility is the new Mahindra compacts from India. Those are rumored to be running 4 cylinder CRD's and pulling down 30MPG highway. Unfortunately, they do not yet have a US Distributor contract meaning they're not yet sold in the US.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I've been researching the hell out of fuel consumption lately because, I, too, have been wanting a truck with better fuel economy. I had planned to hold on to my Sierra and pick up another truck for fuel mileage. I figured when I need the extra power, I have the "real truck" at home.

What I've found is that if I have ANY hope of getting better fuel economy than what my 5.3/4L60E with 4WD offers is that I have to step all the way down to a 4 cylinder with a 5 speed and 2WD. Even then, it would likely have to be dropped and running on small tires. The BEST fuel economy I could find for a small truck was 25MPG highway.

There are only two trucks that MIGHT do better than that. The first is Ford's new 3.5L Ecoboost V6 with factory twin turbos. (365HP @ 5,000RPM & 420ft/lbs @ 2,500RPM). Fuel consumption guidelines, as best as I can tell, have not yet been introduced. However, a base model starts at $22,400.

The other possibility is the new Mahindra compacts from India. Those are rumored to be running 4 cylinder CRD's and pulling down 30MPG highway. Unfortunately, they do not yet have a US Distributor contract meaning they're not yet sold in the US.

Then you also have to calculate in if you buy a different vehicle how long would you have to drive it at X miles per month and Y amount per gallon before you start producing a true savings on your gas. IMO, for the most part chasing MPG's is not a winning effort unless you want to step down to used, good running Civic for about $3k that gets you 40 mpg.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Alot of people told me the 6.2 diesel getting over 20 mpg in full size square bodies.

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
HOW much more than 20MPG, though? Is it enough to justify the additional fuel costs? Granted, if you are looking at a Square Body, I doubt there would be much of a premium for a diesel truck, aside from the fuel costs.

My NNBS Sierra gets between 19-21MPG on the highway.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
No doubt, the only S-10 I know of that got decent mpg was a 4cyl 5 speed and it didn't do all that well for a 4 cyl 5 speed. And the 5 speed is uncommon behind the V6's. So you might be looking for a needle in a haystack. Gosh dang it shoot me for saying !!! But if you are looking for an mpg car, you're likely going to have to go import 4cyl manual trans. I had to do it for awhile. Had a 08 Corolla 5speed, getting 30 around town and 40 hwy if I kept it under 70. But normally on the highway was 75-90, so I got about 36-37avg. The car paid for itself in the money I was saving in gas. And at least it was assembled in USA and did employ a few Americans even though the profits went back overseas.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And whats the story on your $500 truck? My bro is looking for a cheap vehicle, and he is wanting something cheap, easy to fix when it breaks down, and he is leaning towards a SB sicne they have plenty of room to work on them, parts are cheap etc. What year, engine size etc? How bad is the rust and what's wrong with it? If he got it running there, you think it would make it to OKC? Please tell me yes. Cuz if he is interested, I don't wanna have to go pick it up with my trailer. If he wants it, he can ride a bus to KY and pick it up.

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
About 18-20mpg city 25 hwy is what I've heard

If that is true, that is fabulous. BUT, I do hear they have to be driven properly. They do not handle abuse at all. Not race trucks and if you drive them as such they can last a good long time without major problems as long as you keep up on the maintencance. So I have heard.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Dieselplace.com is a very good source of information about them, I researched the **** out of the 6.2 for my swap and the biggest problems I read about was...

1-Timing chain stretches out and throws off the diesel injector pump.
2-Glow plug controllers are crap.
3-after someone uses either it smashes connecting rods causing low compression and wont start.

I drove the diesel suburban around and she had plenty of power, and its a heavy car. Alot of the parts for the motor are cheap, like glow plugs for 10 bucks a piece.

As far as being fragile I dont think so, my cuz put the used motor through a good test and everything held together. They seem to be very diehard. As a matter of fact, the 6.5 in the military Hummer is the 6.2's bigger brother.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, Ether aka Starting fluid is hard on any engine, but even more so on diesels.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size