I need help and to know what this truck is worth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coolduncan27

Reaction score
First Name
Duncan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Okay now for the details there is a 87 gmc r1500 and I want to know how much I should pay for it. Because the guy says he wants to look at it to see because he thinks it’s worth a couple thousand. Now for the details it’s a 87 gmc r1500 2wd dual tank that’s been sitting since 1992. The cab corners have rust and the bed is twisted from a tree growing between the bumper and bed and another one hitting it. The dent is small the twist is noticeable. It got parked because a sensor went bad on it and he does not have a title. Apparently it only has 50k miles but the only evidence is it being parked and no rips on the bench seat. Tag said expired in 92. So please someone tell me how much this truck is worth I am willing to put in the work to fix it.

Attachments

• IMG_2729.jpeg
    IMG_2729.jpeg
    336.4 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_2730.jpeg
    IMG_2730.jpeg
    324.6 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2731.jpeg
    IMG_2731.jpeg
    296.6 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_2732.jpeg
    IMG_2732.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 114

carfanatic63

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
none yet
Truck Model
Engine Size
1k would be tops. I would honestly be happier at $500 since it doesnt have a title and has some rust if it were me.

Who knows about the frame with the twist in the bed too. This might be a parts truck honestly

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Depending on your state i would stay away from a non titled truck. Also is it just lost? Or he doesn't have it? Or what? It's too much of a headache to get one, and you'll never know exactly what you're getting into, not only legally but previous owner ********.

Guy sounds like a tool kinda. "Needs to go look at it" so basically more money. Theres also a foot diameter tree growing through it, there's not much more for him to look at lol. Also who knows if that tree will come down without damaging it. Unless you spend an assload of money and get a crane or a boom truck, thats if they could even get to it.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
Also who knows if that tree will come down without damaging it. Unless you spend an assload of money and get a crane or a boom truck, thats if they could even get to it.
^ Good point. Tree has to go before any cash changes hands.

Definitely don't give him more than $1000. And then, only if you have a solid plan to get a title for it.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
^ Good point. Tree has to go before any cash changes hands.

Definitely don't give him more than $1000. And then, only if you have a solid plan to get a title for it.
I guess they may be able to hack the bumper off and yank the rest of the truck off the tree, depends how good the frame is grown into it.

But the main point is the title.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I would also be super vigilant in checking the cowl area, around the windshield inside and out, the rear cab band and the drip rails for rust. This thing has been sitting under trees for 30 years. That's HORRIBLE for it. Expect unexpected rust.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
If you have never had to remove a tree that has grown through a piece of equipment you will be amazed at how difficult it can be. Getting that tree out of the truck or getting the truck out of that tree is going to be a pain in the a$$.

Owner sounds like a jerk and I despise him for letting that happen to that truck. Tell him to get it loose from the tree and then YOU can see how much needs to be deducted from the price. That way any damages resulting from that miserable job are on him and you will have a better idea of what you are actually getting.

I will also add that you asked your question on a forum dedicated to these trucks. The folks that answered you actually have a good idea of what a truck like that is worth. You can show your seller this list of messages if you have to negotiate.

Such a fine truck in its day...how someone lets that happen...

coolduncan27

Reaction score
First Name
Duncan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
So he bought it without a title in 1991. I don’t know why he doesn’t have it. And wouldn’t I just be able to unbolt the bumper and then pull the truck out? I am new to working on these trucks.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
He bought it in 1991 without a title, and parked it in 1992... Sounds like a red flag to me.

And wouldn’t I just be able to unbolt the bumper and then pull the truck out? I am new to working on these trucks.

That depends on what exactly that tree has swaller'd up. The rear bumpers have corner braces that go back to the frame. I'm guessing the tree has a good hold on the corner brace. Can you access the frame underneith to unbolt it??? If not, that tree sure isn't going to let you jack the truck up a few inches. Better bring a shovel.

As others have mentioned, the tree may have ahold of the frame too. Or maybe the edge of the tailgate or the bottom of the box.

Don't offer him ANY money until that tree is out of there.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
So he bought it without a title in 1991. I don’t know why he doesn’t have it. And wouldn’t I just be able to unbolt the bumper and then pull the truck out? I am new to working on these trucks.
Hard pass with the title situation. I wouldn't even touch it for parts with that story. Plus not to mention the hidden tree rust and it's stuck to a tree.

I would heavily recommend a pass. Especially if you don't know this guy at all. AND he thinks it's worth more than 2 grand:rofl: He either stole it, or couldn't get a title out of laziness or simply couldn't get it, whether personal or dmv issues. I think most states wouldnt let you get a new title, with 30 years of no paper work and no proof of ownership.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I would also be super vigilant in checking the cowl area, around the windshield inside and out, the rear cab band and the drip rails for rust. This thing has been sitting under trees for 30 years. That's HORRIBLE for it. Expect unexpected rust.
Came in here to say this. You're gonna find more rust once you start taking it apart. Also, take the VIN to your local tag office or police station and ask them to run it. Tell them the situation and that you're trying to buy it. I'd hate for you to buy it and then go to register it and find out it's actually stolen. The story is fishy for sure, that guy sucks. But I agree with these guys, with the known and unknown rust issues, possible critters chewing up the wiring and the tree destroying the bed, I wouldn't go more than $1k.

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Squarebody C10s aren't so rare that you have to cut a tree out of the frame to own one.
1K is top dollar on a good day but I certainly would start with that as an offer.
I'd also want to know who is responsible for cutting the tree out? If I was, my time and chainsaw chain would be coming off the top.
Personally, I would rather just push my finger on my mouse's scroll wheel and keep looking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod