I want to drive an '89 suburban 700 miles home, what should I know?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
When I drove my red truck back from Montana we flew out, checked the fluids, drove back.

That was about 1700 miles. First time I had driven it in 18 years.

I brought a couple screwdrivers, pliers and a flashlight.

K

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Thesiger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Thadd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Wow what a story WP29P4A, just like what I'd love to do. I know 500 is pushing it, but you have to understand I'm working minimum wage. (I already don't know if I can make the cut in 4 weeks for cash as it is) I have my youth, and that a big benefit I guess when undertaking something like this.

The vehicle we're taking is a small SUV, won't tow anything with that baby lol! So the big hole in my dream trip is if I break down some where in the middle of rural south Dakota I'm kinda screwed right now.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Also remember that finding an appropriate tow vehicle and trailer can be difficult if you break down. Suburbans are very long and relatively wide, and U-haul and other DIY transport companies don’t have big enough trailers. And even if you do manage to find a trailer, you will still need a tow vehicle big enough to handle the combined weight of the trailer and Suburban.
I trailered a 1986 burb home from Salina Kansas behind a 1986 chevy 1/2 ton pickup
305 700r4 on a regular old 16ft flat bed easy peasy.Other people on this forum swear they've had burbs on Uhaul tow dollies. Almost forgot,pulled my 1975 k home from Belton Missouri on a tow bar behind a 2001 z71 again easy peasy.

Last edited:

Thesiger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Thadd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Though right now I think the largest issue is actually seeing more of the vehicle. The owner is having a hard time understanding why I need more pictures and videos. I'm trying to explain to him: "Sir I am DRIVING 711 MILES one way, I CANNO'T afford to come there, look at it and say, well I guess this doesn't look so good, Time to go home".

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Here's a different thought about this,and not much more money.You and your friend drive out with minimal tools,go to uhaul rent a box truck and a car dolly.Remove the rear driveshaft and trailer your square back. Camp in the box truck,the milage will probably be better than you will get with the square anyway,and no worries. I've camped in a box truck it works good.So good I bought one already had the dolly.
No money in spare parts, no money in tools,no money on accommodations,cheap meals. And no worries about being stranded 100s of miles from home.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Wow what a story WP29P4A, just like what I'd love to do. I know 500 is pushing it, but you have to understand I'm working minimum wage. (I already don't know if I can make the cut in 4 weeks for cash as it is) I have my youth, and that a big benefit I guess when undertaking something like this.

The vehicle we're taking is a small SUV, won't tow anything with that baby lol! So the big hole in my dream trip is if I break down some where in the middle of rural south Dakota I'm kinda screwed right now.
Well if you’re bringing a chase vehicle, it’ll still tow the burb, even if slowly, to the next town or something.
Biggest thing I’d wanna see is a FaceTime of the current owner running it down the freeway at 80mph one hand on the wheel and the temperature gauge behaving.
If the dude won’t do that if you ask him to then I’d be more cautious of issues. Reasonable request imo if he knows you’re driving it back.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Use the search engine type in in the started by user box imjohnny when you find one of his posts hit his name,then hit the posts number and follow his adventures on tools for the trip segment start to finish.We just went through pages and pages of this for his trip.
I remember that thread, it went on and on and IMO got way out there to stuff that could go wrong but wasn't IMO likely.

As for my story I drove my truck almost 250 from where I bought it to home. I new it sat for 2 years, and was driven irregularly in the last few years prior. I replaced a leaking rubber fuel line in her driveway before leaving. Had a basic tool set with me, wrenches, sockets, screw drivers. Nothing else, and other than nearly overheating leaving Portland because the fan clutch was not working the drive home was uneventful. Oh, I guess there was one thing eventful about the trip, I was suppose to be bringing home a farm work truck, nothing more, but instead I fell in love with it!

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
"I Just Bought A 19XX __________ And Driving It 600 Miles Home" videos are popular on youtube.
They are entertaining and beat watching reality tv and cable news.

You mentioned that the Suburban is a "driver" meaning to me, that it is currently in use and has not been sitting. A driver tends to have issues that are minor or can be maintained. A efi truck that has been sitting in the desert will have surprises. Electronics tends to fail on new products within a short period of time; that would include old trucks that have not been used. The in tank fuel pump, the ignition module, coil, relays, etc. Brakes lines are notorious on GM trucks for failure.

That said, if it is a regular driver, that is better. Take your hotel money and invest it in tools when you arrive. A jack, 20v impact, harbor freight tool kit, air inflator, lubricants, coolant, etc. A Suburban has seats in back that fold down; you can use that area for sleeping. Use a truck stop ie Loves, for showers.

Below are two videos from NoNonSenseNoHow. Both are long. They traveled from Pennsylvania to Arizona to drive back Suburbans. The first was a 1973 454. It was a fail. The 2nd was a newer small block, and even though it was in much better condition, still required a lot of stopping, diagnosing, sitting along the side of the road and tracking down parts to keep it rolling.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I'm not saying not to do the trip. I have and would do it again, however, if it is more than 500 miles, I would likely have a wingman in another vehicle or a strong plan B. You will burn thru your budget if you have to leave the truck and come back, along with the risk of an old squarebody left unattended and out of state.

These three guys bought a hopped up Ford Pinto and drive it 3k miles from Texas to Maryland. I would not have done that.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^Agree, I’d be more leary about a cross country journey in something that isn’t a “driver”. Hence, questioning the owner about the little stuff and big stuff. There could be a huge difference between “runs and drives” and what should be reasonably reliable.
It could be more of a challenge if not at least a decent shadetree mechanic.
Ideally I’d wanna swap the chase vehicle for something big enough that u haul would rent you a dolly if necessary.

Last edited:

ucs75

Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban
Engine Size
Another thought....
You could probably have the vehicle delivered for close to your $500. It may take an extra week or two for logistics to work out. (You'll reduce costs by waiting for an existing shipment that your vehicle can be added to).

It won't provide the sight seeing, but gives you the chance to discover issues closer to home.

Thesiger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Thadd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yes, I've considered delivery, Just something I've never done so I'm a little scared of the process. Also like you say, sight unseen. But, for the price of 3,300 dollars ( delivery cost included) I am fairly certain I could get rid of it without too much of a financial hit if its a load of crap.

@GTX63 yeah I watched their videos! Their 'burb brig back is what actually gave me more motivation to do it myself, showing it was actually reasonably possible.

Big Ray

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Drove my 86 burb 300 miles home, sight unseen.
Drove my 79 K5 2300 miles home, sight unseen

Gave them a good lookover, checked fluids, bulbs, tires. Listened for unusual sounds or vibrations.
Brought lots of tools and extra fluids.
Drove them with zero issues. Drove the burb for several years until the tranny died. Drive the K5 daily.

Keep in mind I started driving these trucks in the 70's. I have a "feel" for them, I guess.

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
A Leatherman, crescent wrench, bag of peanuts and bottle of water... $250 for gas... make it an adventure. Have a buddy along with you for entertainment. Ahh the things we did when we were younger... I'm just messing around. Preparation is key. Transmission and overheating would be my biggest concerns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bennlenl