Hitch question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Javin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Javin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
I have a 1981 gmc 3/4 just wondering if any hitch rated for a squarebody will fit? Or is the 1/2 to 3/4 different as far as the hitch will mount up? Also does anyone have any pics of your hitch and aftermarket bumper ie steel bumper and how everything works together? I have a steel bumper that the previous owner put on here’s a pic

You must be registered for see images attach

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I know a Blazer hitch is different, but I think the 1/2 and 3/4 ton are the same. Receiver hitches are available in different drops for different bumpers, my Ford has a 10" bumper so the hitch drops lower than a standard bumper. I have seen people add spacers between the frame and hitch to lower it to clear the bumper (they actually looked like they came with the hitch, not homemade), but I don't think I would do that.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I wasn't aware Blazer hitches were different too. I know the Suburbans are for sure because the back end of the frame takes an angled drop down. I've been told that's to accommodate for the barn doors for some reason. But for sure, if you found one off a 1/2 or 3/4 truck it should mount without a problem. How it would match up with your homemade or aftermarket bumper I wouldn't know. It shouldn't matter though since the receiver is supposed to be self supported once it's bolted to the frame.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I wasn't aware Blazer hitches were different too.

I got a nice clean hitch off of a 80's Blazer thinking it would work on my K20, but it was a little different. I have it and the hitch I just took off my C10 parts truck in my shop, I will try to get a pic of them.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's good to know SDj. So we know for a fact Burbs are Burb Only, Blazer/Jimmy are the same and then pick ups.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I just got this used bumper for my truck. I plan to have it powder coated and have diamond plate or polished aluminum wraps made for the vertical portions of the bumper. It's made by Reunel, but they have
been bought out by Buck Stop. I am going to remove the bumper receiver as I already have a frame mounted receiver. You can see how beefy the frame mounts are for this bumper. My frame hitch (aftermarket) has 3 attachment points on each leg.

Javin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Javin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
I got a nice clean hitch off of a 80's Blazer thinking it would work on my K20, but it was a little different. I have it and the hitch I just took off my C10 parts truck in my shop, I will try to get a pic of them.

Was it that much different where it didn’t work? I figure I’ll have to modify or slip it under the mounts for the bumper I think regardless of what style the hitch is I will have to modify something possibly tie the bumper in to the hitch

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Was it that much different where it didn’t work? I figure I’ll have to modify or slip it under the mounts for the bumper I think regardless of what style the hitch is I will have to modify something possibly tie the bumper in to the hitch

It was close, I thought about modifying the Blazer hitch but came across the one on the c-20. I should have pics tomorrow, didn't have time to stop by my workshop today. They both mounted to the bottom of the frame, just the length of the mounts and spacing of the holes were different.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Here's the C20 and Blazer hitches. The C20 hitch is the one with the longer mounting brackets and the reciever sticks out farther (to clear a step bumper?).

They are both the same width.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1