HHHEEEEELLLLLLLPPPPPPP!!!!!! Update- problem unsolved again.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fast_n_low86

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
7.4L
I've gone over all of those. I'm wondering if I should remove the return line from the regulator and deadhead it so it keeps the fuel up by the motor instead of sending it back to the tank

hogdaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Don't use the regulator vacuum connection.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS engine, no fuel pump on the engine block? Where is you fuel pump? Electric pumps not in the tank don't like heat.

Remove the gauge from the regulator, add a hose and temporary move the gauge up on the cowl where you can see it. Engine is running out of fuel, you need to know why.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
If you have a rubber fuel hose connection before fuel pump it can suck air making fuel pumps efforts seem worthless. Even if it's metal all the way to tank I've seen many times it Sucking air inside or the pickup sick fell off etc. This is what I would investigate first if it's for sure fuel starvation. Try running it off of a gas jug underneath the hood or long hose with jug in cab to see if you can isolate the issue. Someone mentioned removing the regulator,maybe that will change symptoms at least?

fast_n_low86

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
7.4L
LS engine, no fuel pump on the engine block? Where is you fuel pump? Electric pumps not in the tank don't like heat.

Remove the gauge from the regulator, add a hose and temporary move the gauge up on the cowl where you can see it. Engine is running out of fuel, you need to know why.
Fuel pump is an inline pump made for carbureted Engine. I have it mounted down on the frame underneath just before the tank selector cluster, sits about level with the bottom of the fuel tank.

fast_n_low86

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
7.4L
If you have a rubber fuel hose connection before fuel pump it can suck air making fuel pumps efforts seem worthless. Even if it's metal all the way to tank I've seen many times it Sucking air inside or the pickup sick fell off etc. This is what I would investigate first if it's for sure fuel starvation. Try running it off of a gas jug underneath the hood or long hose with jug in cab to see if you can isolate the issue. Someone mentioned removing the regulator,maybe that will change symptoms at least?
I am running all steal braided 6an fuel line from the carb to regulator, to pump to tank selector cluster.

Juggernaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Can't help you with the fuel problem, but I will tell you to be careful with those triangle filters. I was messing with my engine and it backfired through the carb. When it did it burnt the element, and the filter element started falling apart from the inside out. I never knew it until the engine started running real bad. Had pieces of filter element everywhere in that engine, including the oil pan and bearings

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Fuel pump is an inline pump made for carbureted Engine. I have it mounted down on the frame underneath just before the tank selector cluster, sits about level with the bottom of the fuel tank.
How close is the exhaust system? Heat is an electric fuel pump enemy. Your symptoms are typical of a failing fuel pump. Yes you could be sucking air on the inlet side of the pump, but a small leak, the fuel and air reaches the carb fuel bowl. Fuel stays in the fuel bowl, any air goes out through the fuel bowl vent.

You need to see what the fuel pressure is when the engine leans out. That is why I said move the pressure gauge where you can see it driving.

The air filter is not the problem. If you are not getting air in, your air/fuel mixture gauge will show a rich mix.

fast_n_low86

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
7.4L
Can't help you with the fuel problem, but I will tell you to be careful with those triangle filters. I was messing with my engine and it backfired through the carb. When it did it burnt the element, and the filter element started falling apart from the inside out. I never knew it until the engine started running real bad. Had pieces of filter element everywhere in that engine, including the oil pan and bearings
Thanks for the heads up. It did the same and I've now taken it back off

hogdaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
I pretty much did before and that started the whole issue. But I'll give it a shot
Per Holley: "If regulator is equipped with the vacuum line connection on the top, this can be connected to full manifold vacuum to slightly decrease fuel pressure at idle and cruise. This is a requirement on forced induction engines, so that the differential fuel pressure stays constant under boost."

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod