Hesitation upon acceleration...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DuallyGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C15 1/2 Ton Stepside
Engine Size
5.7L 4BBL 350 V8
Hello! My trucks been doing this weird stumble when I press the gas pedal. It sounds like it wants to choke out and die but then it starts to accelerate. And just now I was trying to accelerate when not only did it stumble, but I heard what sounded like a back fire coming from the engine compartment. What gives?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Backfire through the intake usually indicates a vacuum leak, or a dead/dting ignition component (plug, wire, bad distributor cap/rotor).

DuallyGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C15 1/2 Ton Stepside
Engine Size
5.7L 4BBL 350 V8
Hmm...I just did the wires n plugs, but maybe I shouldve done cap n rotor too...is my timing a possible issue? Also I looked for loose vacuum lines but couldnt find anything disconnected. Unless theres vacuum lines hiding?

Last edited:

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Yes. I'm not sure of what it should be set at though.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Hmm...I just did the wires n plugs, but maybe I shouldve done cap n rotor too...is my timing a possible issue?

It started doing this right after the install of the parts?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Matt, your 454 should be set at 4*BTDC. Have you ever done the fuel filter? I agree with Vac leaks also.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I would change the cap & rotor, check all your vac lines for dry rot/cracking/splitting, check the front & rear intake gaskets using carb & choke cleaner (spray it on and see if the idle spikes up), change fuel filters, and check the timing.

DuallyGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C15 1/2 Ton Stepside
Engine Size
5.7L 4BBL 350 V8
Thank you all for the info. On my way to get cap n rotor and carb cleaner. I will follow the instructions to search for any vac leaks. My buddy is gonna set the timing. Thanks for the timing Jim. To be continued...thanks everyone! Oh and fuel filter was replaced also.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Thank you all for the info. On my way to get cap n rotor and carb cleaner. I will follow the instructions to search for any vac leaks. My buddy is gonna set the timing. Thanks for the timing Jim. To be continued...thanks everyone! Oh and fuel filter was replaced also.

Hey, one more thing. When you are on that distributor, make sure the vent screens in the bottom are clean...if not, moisture gets trapped under the cap, and you being where you are, that moisture usually is salty, and promotes corrosion. If the New parts dont cure the problem, i would suggest a compression check, to rule or find out the worst...whatever the case may be. Try to look at your exhuast in the mirror on a deserted road somewher..Maybe somwhere up by Lopez Canyon Rd...dunno how traffic is there, and see if it is smoking during the hesitation, you may have an injector thats a little drippy.

Last edited:

DuallyGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C15 1/2 Ton Stepside
Engine Size
5.7L 4BBL 350 V8
Roger that. My friend cleaned the throttle body when we replaced the injector connectors. He said the injectors looked good. The truck recently passed smog also. I dont see a sign of any smoke whatsoever from the tail pipe either.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Matt, how does your truck idle? Maybe disconnect the EGR and see if it happens again. If there is vacuum to the EGR at the wrong time, and there is no smoke, there is a good chance that your EGR valve solenoid is thrashed, and letting vac through uncommanded from the ECM.

Last edited by a moderator:

DuallyGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C15 1/2 Ton Stepside
Engine Size
5.7L 4BBL 350 V8
**update**

Ok...It's been a couple days. My progress has been slow and painful! I got a hold of a timing light and discovered that the truck was running at 16 BTDC! So I adjusted it to 4 BTDC. It seems to have brought the idle down a tad too low though. The hood has a slight shake in it. I may have to re-adjust my TPS since I recently replaced that and I dont think I did that right in the first place. I replaced the Cap and Rotor also which by the way was THRASHED! Both cap and rotor were on their last legs. I just bought this truck and I'm discovering all of the half assed things that the previous owner did. I bought the carb cleaner to spray along the intake and vac lines to detect any leaks but haven't done that yet since my friend recommended I do that when the engine was cooler. (We did these repairs in 100 degree weather.) And then to top it off, I put my Lance Camper on my truck to get ready for camping this weekend. And what decides to happen? I blow an exhaust manifold gasket. So I'm assuming I should start another thread for that one, because I'm discovering how hard it is to locate a manifold gasket for 'smog legal' headers. Any suggestions? :025:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Ok...It's been a couple days. My progress has been slow and painful! I got a hold of a timing light and discovered that the truck was running at 16 BTDC! So I adjusted it to 4 BTDC. It seems to have brought the idle down a tad too low though. The hood has a slight shake in it. I may have to re-adjust my TPS since I recently replaced that and I dont think I did that right in the first place. I replaced the Cap and Rotor also which by the way was THRASHED! Both cap and rotor were on their last legs. I just bought this truck and I'm discovering all of the half assed things that the previous owner did. I bought the carb cleaner to spray along the intake and vac lines to detect any leaks but haven't done that yet since my friend recommended I do that when the engine was cooler. (We did these repairs in 100 degree weather.) And then to top it off, I put my Lance Camper on my truck to get ready for camping this weekend. And what decides to happen? I blow an exhaust manifold gasket. So I'm assuming I should start another thread for that one, because I'm discovering how hard it is to locate a manifold gasket for 'smog legal' headers. Any suggestions? :025:
The best suggestion I can make, is to return the truck to cast Iron manifolds, you cant beat them for durability.
Since you re set your timing, disconnect the battery for 15 seconds, then reconnect and drive. idle shoul be in the neighborhood of 625+/-25 in drive. GM truck usually idle pretty low.
On the ignition side, make sur you didnt mix up 5 and 7....very easy to do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jp wessels