help me find this ticking noise on my truck ( 1978 Chevy C10 305 )

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Timothy69420

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
hello, my Truck has this weird ticking noise. I tried to adjust the lifters on my Truck. so I try to tighten them, but no matter how much I tighten the lifters it was still ticking very loudly. I assumed that it was something wrong with the pushrod itself or
it is something else entirely. I am not sure

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Video would help. What have you changed most recently before this problem started?

My first thought is:

1) Exhaust leak
2) Spark plug wire melted and shorting to header/manifold
3) Cracked flex plate
4) Valvetrain contacting inside of valve cover

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My vote is for 1, 2, 3, or 4, (see above). Get a stethoscope or long dowel and try to isolate the noise.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
If you see a Clock, Dynamite and the name ACME…. Run!

And a belated Welcome to the Forum

Last edited:

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've had exhaust noise before.If it quits ticking after warmup,you may have a cracked manifold.I had a cracked piece of tubing on a exhaust manifold once,it drove me nuts till we found it.A stethoscope or a screwdriver to the ear may help locate

Last edited:

Timothy69420

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I think it is a Exhaust leak or my Spark plug wires. the ticking seems to be around the area of my power steering pump and the exhaust.

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
Your 3/8" rocker studs could be worn threads.
If the same cylinders keep rattling loose, you are a candidate for Locks.

Poly Locks, tall valve covers and at least 2 valve adjustments to the Poly-Locks.

The studs might be worn and the stock style lock washers may not be locking anything.
If they are worn threads, from the stock lock nuts cutting threads, you'll bend a valve if you do not lock that valve train up.
Bend a push rod or beat a lifter out of cycle would be bad.

Chevrolet Black or Chrome covers are the cheapest center hole version.
Tall covers for the permeter version are everywhere.

If the rockers loosen up on any one cylinder, and the truck won't start, do not force it; or you'll bend a valve.

Double check the rockers for mis-adjusted pre-load and document the amount they are out of adjustment.
Then get back to us here so the other guys can tell what it might be, if this is not the issue?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I think it is a Exhaust leak or my Spark plug wires. the ticking seems to be around the area of my power steering pump and the exhaust.
Its a common spot to burn plug wires. If it is a sharp snapping type sound, I'd go with plug wires. It's also easy to see this if you start it up and look under the hood while it is dark outside. You'll see the arc jumping to the headers or manifold usually. If it is more of a tapping noise that gets quieter as it warms up... exhaust leak.

Reactions: WFO

Sgt Gus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20 3/4 ton
Engine Size
454ci/7.4L
$8 and noise will be easily located.

I insulted someone on this forum because I thought a stethoscope was funny...I didn't realize there was such a thing as a mechanics stethoscope. I have one now, and have used it to isolate noise and fixed. :)

andybflo

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.3 LM7/4L60E

Check your pulleys, too.

I had a crank pulley shear between the bolt holes, it began cracking all the way around, on a 400 SBC. Handy stethoscope seemed to point me to a timing chain locating the noise, so after a lot of profanity and bleeding (it was on a '69 Corvette, not a lot of room), I disassembled most of the front of the motor, radiator, cooling fans, and pulled the crank pulley in preparation to pull the demonic balancer... Yep. Chain and seals went on the shelf, ordered a GM repop pulley, and all is good.

It would rattle anytime there were significant RPM changes. Sounded just like a timing chain slapping against a cover.

Sounds dumb, but metal fatigue begins to set in after three decades... Look around. Have someone accelerate a decelerate while you closely look at the area. Anything wiggling is suspect.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I insulted someone on this forum because I thought a stethoscope was funny...I didn't realize there was such a thing as a mechanics stethoscope. I have one now, and have used it to isolate noise and fixed. :)
Super easy to find exhaust leaks with one. Remove the steel part, just use the hose. Every time it puffs out makes a very obvious sound.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigboytko