Help me ditch the dreaded one wheel peel...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nataca

Reaction score
First Name
nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 scotsdale
Engine Size
How is a lunch box locker bad for street driven? My jeep had spartans front and back. Thats without locking hubs. Couldnt tell they were there. For burnouts id recommend something stronger but they are perfectly fine on road. My jeep had 35" tires too, granted the jeep was a little lighter. Id consider putting them in my k10 if i wasnt doing a one ton swap with 37" tires

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
How is a lunch box locker bad for street driven? My jeep had spartans front and back. Thats without locking hubs. Couldnt tell they were there. For burnouts id recommend something stronger but they are perfectly fine on road. My jeep had 35" tires too, granted the jeep was a little lighter. Id consider putting them in my k10 if i wasnt doing a one ton swap with 37" tires

Of course someone right after me will say they had a lunchbox locker with 72" tires that did a 10 second quarter mile and jumped 100' every day, but for me I didn't like it at all.
I put one in my 78 K10 and I had 33x12.50 tires. It was a Lockright diff and they had just come out. At first it was great- as I went everywhere I could with it off road. Around town I kept getting the inside tire to scrub/squeal. Cool at first, got old quick. Then the constant clack, clack, CLUNK noise when turning. I had an aluminum topper on the truck which seemed to amplify the noise. Decided to race someone off of a stoplight and broke an axleshaft. Got that fixed. Then when crossing a backwoods dirt road that had been washed out by the spring run off the whole thing gernaded. That was in a 12 bolt rear end. After that I had an Auburn gear Pro diff installed and never had any problems again. Since that I now have a K20 and love the detroit locker.

nataca

Reaction score
First Name
nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 scotsdale
Engine Size
ive never used a lockrite. But an axle breaking is a sign of a functioning locker on an axle that is too weak for the tires

nataca

Reaction score
First Name
nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 scotsdale
Engine Size
For the op, if you wanna do some inexpensive burn outs find a mini spool and some free bald tires and have at it

woodsrider250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350-Qjet
Will a stock 85 350 do a posi-burnout? :/ Mine has troubles with 4.11's.

jux

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Z
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size

All depends on engine condition/heads/etc, and gears in the tranny and rear.

FWIW (not much), my peg leg 2.73 with a 2.85 1st gear, will smoke that one tire with ease. Stock engine, 882 heads (heavy cast, not the light crack prone ones), headers, weiand intake, eddy carb, nothing special.

Also, tire size matters. I'm using stock size. I'd imagine it would be hard to smoke both if I had posi.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear

When i had my 4.11's in the rear, it was easy to break both loose(locker). I have a Hopped up 350 tho. 70 chevelle block, 72 impalla 441 heads worked a little bit, l79 cam 4 deg advanced, 10:1 Flat tops, Crank is knife-edged with a windage tray and crank scrapper, And it has oil gally limiters in it. WHen it was fresh, it was around 425hp.

My tranny is a th350 with the cusion plates removed, and a stage 2 shift kit.

Now i have 3.08s in the rear, i hate them,,,,,, But if i try, i can break the rear end loose, but i really have to try.

And all this was on 32" tires in a 4 wheel drive half ton.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I was able to find a used eaton posi on ebay for around $250. I dropped it in the 8.5 welded rear in my 80 Camaro with new 3.73s. Havent driven it yet though...

You may be able to find an old posi in some older big cars (think caddys with towing package) at the junk yard. I looked for a long time before I found the one I got on ebay. Just keep in mind swapping a diff is a lot of work, and if all you want it 2-wheel burnouts I would seriously think about what you are taking on. This is NOT an easy driveway project.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Also, with both rear tires grabbing for traction at the same time, severe and almost uncontrollable fish tailing will be unavoidable when doing harsh burnouts.
Just drop about three ton in the bed, that`ll hold it down good and tight and fix the one wheel a peeeeling.

aGood'olBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I definitely know what I'm getting into. Its a lot of work but I'm willing to put it in. My tech instructor was telling me about these auburn carriers they put in some later trucks. Anyone heard of these? There cool carriers, if I understand them correctly they are fully locked when under load only until 20 mph then they are open. They seen fairly cheap and a relatively strong carrier.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Pretty sure thats that 89S had in the 89.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garrettkeith