Headlights are messed up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big SW

Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Goodwrench 350
I just got my 86 licensed and inspected a couple days ago then when coming home last night my headlights quit and just flickered on and off. I checked and there is no bare wires grounding out and I just put in a brand-new switch from Oreilleys. The new switch was also getting pretty hot to the touch when the light switch was on brights, but the lights weren't on. any ideas? thanks!

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Dimmer switch?

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
I just got my 86 licensed and inspected a couple days ago then when coming home last night my headlights quit and just flickered on and off. I checked and there is no bare wires grounding out and I just put in a brand-new switch from Oreilleys. The new switch was also getting pretty hot to the touch when the light switch was on brights, but the lights weren't on. any ideas? thanks!
Stock headlights??,,,, Why did You replace the headlight switch???

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
You should double check me, but I believe your headlight switch has a circuit breaker built in. My first guess is you have a dead short on a head light power wire tripping the breaker,breakers are thermal so its creating heat.

Last edited:

clintC

Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
i had this same type problem a couple years ago....new dimmer switch, when on high beam wires got to smoking at the switch , pulled the brown or green at the melting plug (if i remember correctly, can't check at moment because driver door is "blocked" by tent pole while i install new motor), problem went away with 1/2 the lights (daytime work truck in the city = "not a priority to fix"....I'm about to relocate to rural Co and need to fix the problem....any tips on where to find a replacement dimmer switch connection plug (as i figure this is were the problem originated) Thanx in advance

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Electrical connectors of all types and configurations can be found on the HELP rack at your local automotive parts store.. Probably corrosion caused the wires to get hot at the connector. it causes resistance and that causes heat to build up.. You'll need to cut the wires back to good insulation. Might also need to add "pigtails" to get the length back. Don't use crimped butt splices.. Strip, twist, solder and heat shrink tube to insulate joints.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
What @Ricko1966 said could be a possibility, I'd advise a second look over the wiring. Does the running lights also flicker off? But what @RustyPile said is also likely, not only at the headlight switch but also the dimmer wiring could be doing it. This is nothing to play with, if it's dead short or a poor connection the wiring could heat up and start a fire. I had this happen on my 77 Cadillac. Dimmer switch shorted out and by the time I was able to get off the highway I was stomping the carpet out.

Of course you know the importance of good working headlights so like Nick said if any wiring repairs are needed solder and shrink wrap. If you don't know how to solder you really should learn, there is no repair to wiring stronger or more long lasting than solder. Second best is NON-insulated crimp connectors and then shrink wrap over that, but never the color coded (red, blue, yellow) ones that you just crimp and leave. They like to pull apart over time and have no barrier for moisture intrusion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising